• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Did anyone see this other Kelly Freas preliminary for Witchcraft #5?

Freas prelim

Hadn't seen that prelim before, do you own it? While Freas may be more well known for his work in other genres, I find that cover to be his most iconic piece. Of course, I am a horror head, so I may be somewhat biased. crazy.gif

I only have a copy of this preliminary, which was drawn by Kelly Freas circa 1998, not certain if it predates the finished b+w pen and ink wash currently on sale through the Bill Howard gallery. Bill Howard -Freas

But, comparing them side by side, they're almost identical, except that (Howard) one is a finished version.

freas-w5pre.jpg

We do own Freas' cover recreations of several Signet pocketbook covers that are horror-themed parodies of a sort:

Voodoo Mad, Son of Mad, and Bedside Mad.

My first Mystic! cloud9.gif And a Maneely cover to boot!

Jayman, you have yet another fine example of what I refer to as pch "title swipery." I just love how the publishers would name their stories after the titles of rival publications. I see this time & again, yet it never fails to amuse me! grin.gif

My first Mystic! cloud9.gif And a Maneely cover to boot!

Jayman, you have yet another fine example of what I refer to as pch "title swipery." I just love how the publishers would name their stories after the titles of rival publications. I see this time & again, yet it never fails to amuse me! grin.gif

Another thing I noticed I like with these Atlas Horror books is that the introductory narration at the beginning of one story usually comments on the end of the previous story. This really ties the whole issue together as a single read even though the stories aren't related. It also shows that the individual issues were well thought out by the writers/editors in regards to which stories were to be presented.

Another thing I noticed I like with these Atlas Horror books is that the introductory narration at the beginning of one story usually comments on the end of the previous story. This really ties the whole issue together as a single read even though the stories aren't related. It also shows that the individual issues were well thought out by the writers/editors in regards to which stories were to be presented.

They pinched that idea from E.C. tongue.gif

I was thinking that too but in the case of E.C. I believe the respective host would just make a generic derogatory comment on how the previous storyteller's tale was inferior to his/her own. The Atlas books would make specific comments such as "Joe is really way out there, isn't he?" regarding the previous story where a man dropped into space after flying off a chunck of New York that was ripped off the Earth by Martians.

I was thinking that too but in the case of E.C. I believe the respective host would just make a generic derogatory comment on how the previous storyteller's tale was inferior to his/her own. The Atlas books would make specific comments such as "Joe is really way out there, isn't he?" regarding the previous story where a man dropped into space after flying off a chunck of New York that was ripped off the Earth by Martians.

From what I understand about the volume of work done for Atlas and from what I've gleaned about Stan Lee, I suspect that he wrote those text blurbs once he put an issue together. I don't recall seeing this device used frequently in Atlas, but then there are a few hundred pre-code horror issues and I have only a small percentage of them.

From what I understand about the volume of work done for Atlas and from what I've gleaned about Stan Lee, I suspect that he wrote those text blurbs once he put an issue together. I don't recall seeing this device used frequently in Atlas, but then there are a few hundred pre-code horror issues and I have only a small percentage of them.

I don't doubt this was the case but still it was a neat way to connect the stories together in a respective issue and make the reader feel as if he were being told the tales by an unnamed host. I myself only own 6 Atlas horror books and they all happen to use this "single storyteller" method.

I don't doubt this was the case but still it was a neat way to connect the stories together in a respective issue and make the reader feel as if he were being told the tales by an unnamed host. I myself only own 6 Atlas horror books and they all happen to use this "single storyteller" method.

This method wasn't used all too often. I agree it is a nice touch, though. Makes you feel a connection. Atlas dabbled with a few letters columns as well, another attempt at connection I find cool. Wish there had been more. cool.gif

I always like that cover, lots of nice colors....

Did you see the #3 ON EBAY? really High opening bid, he knew it was tough

The colors aren't too bad, it is the perspective that doesn't grab me. crazy.gif

That # 3 is too rich for my blood, what with the spine split... foreheadslap.gif

I always like that cover, lots of nice colors....

Did you see the #3 ON EBAY? really High opening bid, he knew it was tough

The colors aren't too bad, it is the perspective that doesn't grab me. crazy.gif

That # 3 is too rich for my blood, what with the spine split... foreheadslap.gif

Yeah $ 299 is rich. I don't relish the idea of ever buying one but one day I'll have to bite the 893censored-thumb.gif bullet. tonofbricks.gif ( gossip.gif It's a Feb. 1952 release so it falls in my set).

Oh Scrooge, sorry to hear it! I didn't realize that book is on your list. Every other number is no sweat up until the #10, oh well, that what makes it fun I guess!

Keith, that one too I like for the colors, I am pretty fond of fawcett horror in general, nice pick up!

Oh Scrooge, sorry to hear it! I didn't realize that book is on your list. Every other number is no sweat up until the #10, oh well, that what makes it fun I guess!

Yes, it's fun; I mean, that book is scarce for no known reason. That's the fun of discovering / collecting. It turns up occasionally and gets pounced on by completists: I know my shot at getting a cheap copy is zilch.

Nice set of books, Keith

popcorn.gif