• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink starts tonight. Anyone else excited?

218 posts in this topic

I can't help myself here...a little bit of unsolicited advice...take it for what it's worth...if you have to borrow money from a friend to fund your hobby it's no longer a hobby. Meant in all sincerity and not being snarky.

best,

jay

Didnt take your comments as being snarky at all and you are entitled to your opinion but i think you are getting the wrong end ofthe stick. Im not borrowing money to fund my hobby i can manage myself, its just that i may need a hand now and again to help me get what i want. Let me give you 2 examples.

Now i once saw 2 pages of OA that i really wanted but the timing was bad in that funds were low. One was on a dealers webiste and they allowed me time payments.but the first payment i could not make in time so i borrowed the money for the first payment and made the rest myself.

The other was at auction and i had a maximum bid placed of $2.5K which was a bit lower than i thought it would finish at but again the timing was not good as far as funds were concerned. I asked a good friend if i could borrow $500 and placed my bid with that amount added onto my total max bid. and in the end won it for $2.8K. So in the end i didnt need all the $500 but i needed some in order to win the item and paid him what i owed him a week later.

So in 12 years of collecting OA ive borrowed money on a few occasions which i dont really like doing but it helped me to purchase artwork that always pleases me everytime i look at it, so all i am saying is i dont see anything wrong with borrowing money every now and again if it helps you get the item you want as long as you always pay it back , thats all.

So in 12 years of collecting OA ive borrowed money on a few occasions which i dont really like doing but it helped me to purchase artwork that always pleases me everytime i look at it, so all i am saying is i dont see anything wrong with borrowing money every now and again if it helps you get the item you want as long as you always pay it back , thats all.

I haven't been in this position myself, but I suppose some people put vacations or other luxury items on credit cards. same thing. maybe not the best idea financially but...

some of this art when it comes up, you have to strike while the iron's hot. in a lot of cases it's not going to be available again.

That's great and it sounds like you know what you are doing financially. My fear was really for newer collectors and younger people...I didn't look at the fact that you have been posting since 2004 lol...who may not realize the very risky, from my perspective, gamble that buying art is these days at these elevated prices. I've never been of fan of margin trading.

Take care

Jay

I haven't been in this position myself, but I suppose some people put vacations or other luxury items on credit cards. same thing. maybe not the best idea financially but...

some of this art when it comes up, you have to strike while the iron's hot. in a lot of cases it's not going to be available again.

Exactly. In my early days of collecting i was very reluctant to borrow money off of anyone even if i saw pieces that i really wanted. When i think back I can remember losing out on classic stuff like Adams Avengers,Batman,Green Lantern pages, Cardy covers, Kirby Journey Into Mystery battle pages, Buscema Surfer Splash pages, Wrightson Swamp Thing pages etc etc. When i think back what i could have had in my collection im kicking myself. Like i said back then i didnt like asking to borrow money but now i wish i did as ive never seen those pages again.

Hopefully, you're not going after the Kirby Black Panther cover, which has already tripped the reserve and is currently at $32.5K

Had my eye on it but moved on when it reached $25K.

However a couple of pieces i am trying to win have had some bids with still 2 hours to go which i wasnt expecting. Still there is no way i am going to be sniped this time and have some big last second bids which is going to shock the current high bidders.

Hopefully, you're not going after the Kirby Black Panther cover, which has already tripped the reserve and is currently at $32.5K

Had my eye on it but moved on when it reached $25K.

However a couple of pieces i am trying to win have had some bids with still 2 hours to go which i wasnt expecting. Still there is no way i am going to be sniped this time and have some big last second bids which is going to shock the current high bidders.

Yeah, a little price discovery going on a couple of hours before auction end. Unfortunately, I am discovering that I probably won't win anything tonight. Maybe a smaller item or two...

Well, just in case, if things don't go your way, keep in mind there's another auction coming up right around the corner.

I have been waiting for this to start. The real question is how long do these last? And how does the bidding work? Like eBay with last minute snipes or some other system.

I think the correct expression would be last SECONDS snipe. Seriously ive lost 3 pices of artwork within the last 5 seconds.

Same experience here. Fortunately I bugged CL enough that the winner put it up in the exchange and I ended up getting it (4 years later).

The Comiclink interface is so out dated :preach: it is almost laughable, certainly painful. For consignors it is DEFINITELY in 3rd PLACE behind Heritage and Comic Connect.

I have been waiting for this to start. The real question is how long do these last? And how does the bidding work? Like eBay with last minute snipes or some other system.

I think the correct expression would be last SECONDS snipe. Seriously ive lost 3 pices of artwork within the last 5 seconds.

Same experience here. Fortunately I bugged CL enough that the winner put it up in the exchange and I ended up getting it (4 years later).

The Comiclink interface is so out dated :preach: it is almost laughable, certainly painful. For consignors it is DEFINITELY in 3rd PLACE behind Heritage and Comic Connect.

Doesn't Comic Connect still not list art in their auction by artist name?