• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #1 Found in Trash-was cgc 2.0 Now on ebay as 4.5?

160 posts in this topic

I feel that Harley is entitled to his opinion whether or not he bought it slabbed. If he did know it was previously in a 2.0 holder, he is under no obligation to disclose CGC's previous assessment, although I grant that is a pretty big difference of opinion!

Sure, just like Comic Keys can not send a book to CGC because he knows it'll come back restored and this way he can say it isn't restored. Same logic and a good reason not to buy from either one.

thats it in a nutshell. Harley (in this case) is "free" to do what he wants with hi sbook and call it anything he wants. And we are free to draw our own conclusions at his actions

I feel that Harley is entitled to his opinion whether or not he bought it slabbed. If he did know it was previously in a 2.0 holder, he is under no obligation to disclose CGC's previous assessment, although I grant that is a pretty big difference of opinion!

Sure, just like Comic Keys can not send a book to CGC because he knows it'll come back restored and this way he can say it isn't restored. Same logic and a good reason not to buy from either one.

thats it in a nutshell. Harley (in this case) is "free" to do what he wants with hi sbook and call it anything he wants. And we are free to draw our own conclusions at his actions

Conclusion drawn. thumbsup2.gif

Looks like a lot of the soiling around the F in Fantastic and around the code stamp was removed. I guess it could be a lower resolution scan on Harleys auction making the dirt "disappear" confused-smiley-013.gif

Look at the lower left corner of the dark blue box.

In the original scan there are about 10 white spots (mold?).

In the more recent scan there are only 3 white spots remaining.

At the very least, this book was dry cleaned.

And he does have a German chocolate listed on his site.

Does he take Paypal? I'm sure UPS would deliver it in perfect condition.

He made me a German Chocolate for my birthday a few years ago -- double layer 18", 11 cups of coconut. The sucker weighed 20 lbs. Better get on his list right now -- I think he's only booked for the next 6 months.

Here is my 2 cents, if Harley graded it according to Overstreet grading standards, then he should have called it 3.0 GD/VD, that is the best grade allwed by Overstreet to have moderate soiling.

I have a problem with CGC's stance on pressing as not being restoration, but I dont have a problem with dealers taking advantage of this fact and making money off it.

Of course dealers are going to eat the cookie CGC gave them its human nature. To my eyes the book got a quick resto, it could be a scanner/photoshop trick but I'll give the dealer the benefit of the doubt here.

So whats the big deal the dealer cracked a slab and likely took advantage of established CGC rules by doing a CGC approved restoration and made a few hundred bucks off the whole thing? Someone got a FF #1 they wanted for a reasonable price, Harley made a few hundred bucks, everyones happy.

I have a problem with CGC's stance on pressing as not being restoration, but I dont have a problem with dealers taking advantage of this fact and making money off it.

Of course dealers are going to eat the cookie CGC gave them its human nature. To my eyes the book got a quick resto, it could be a scanner/photoshop trick but I'll give the dealer the benefit of the doubt here.

So whats the big deal the dealer cracked a slab and likely took advantage of established CGC rules by doing a CGC approved restoration and made a few hundred bucks off the whole thing? Someone got a FF #1 they wanted for a reasonable price, Harley made a few hundred bucks, everyones happy.

i don't think so...........

the book got cracked out of a slab and then regraded plus 2.5 points. it was NOT reslabbed. CGC didn't regrade the book, Harley did.

this book isn't a 4.5 whether it was pressed or not - it's a joke!!!!

i don't think so...........

the book got cracked out of a slab and then regraded plus 2.5 points. it was NOT reslabbed. CGC didn't regrade the book, Harley did.

this book isn't a 4.5 whether it was pressed or not - it's a joke!!!!

gossip.gif duncan36 doesn't actually need all the facts before he shares his opinions. Just read 99% of his posts and you'll see what I mean. gossip.gif

I usually try to make a point instead of just flaming however.

Show me where I claimed the book was a 4.5 and i'll retract what I said. Overgrading is part of the eBay experience so dont color me shocked that Harley's pushing it a bit there. If I paid the money to get a book cleaned and pressed i'd expect a 2.0 jump too, maybe he pushed it a little more. There is however a large scan and the price wasnt 4.5 territory, so I dont see how this auction is some shocking event.

whats noteworthy and shocking is just that Harley is selling a book that used to be slabbed and grading it much higher than CGC did. Any work he had done is pure speculation. But on the surface its just a clear example of a dealer choosing to crack out a book and try to sell it for more than the CGC grade could get . I dont see any dealers cracking out 9.4 slabs to sell as 9.0s when they dont agree with the grade do ya? Seems to only work one way.

Any work he had done is pure speculation.

I agree if he simply cracked the slab and overgraded and doctored a scan thats ugly. However if he cracked the slab to press the book and raise its grade, under CGC's view of pressing thats become a legitimate way to make money.