• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any benefit to including artist name on CAF title?

17 posts in this topic

Hi All.

As a new poster to CAF I have been trying to figure out best protocols for posting. So far have been including the title, issue #, page type (example : cover) artist name and sometimes major guest character If they are not part of the series. (Example -flash 32 cover Deadman..etc..)

The logic being that all this info makes searching easier for other users. Tonight however I started to question my labeling practice.

What's your experience?opinions?

I like descriptive titles and solid Descriptions.

For published work, I'll put by and

For commissions and such, I'll put by

I know that the artist name is in the caption, but I do it anyway.

For my personal stuff, I post title, issue #, page #, year it was published, and any significant (like a character's origin or first appearance, etc.). Who the artist is already has a listing on the piece which is shown, so I don't do that. If it is a commission or illustration, I'll post the character's name and add a fun little subtitle to it.

For stuff I'm selling, I do it the exact same way, only I add the asking price to the title. This way people can see what it is, without having to click on the thumbnail.

But there is no benefit to putting it in the title. I have it for 2 of my pages that are special to me, just because i felt like it gave the pages a bit more meaty / important title.

But 99% of my pages just say what it is, you can put the penciler, inker, writer, painter, whatever in the details and it will all still show up when people do a search on that keyword.

I don't put the artist in the title because there's already a specific place to input it. Seems redundant to add it again.

Same.

I list pages with the comic title, issue number and page number. Anything else is in the description.

And like I explained in the "what % of art is on CAF" thread, I like uniformity and dislike clutter in my CAF. Viewing a page of 18 thumbnails all listed the same way . . . :cloud9:

My general rule for CAF titles...

For sketches / commissions / misc:

Character, artist(s)

For a cover:

Series, number, artist(s)

For a page:

Series, number, page, artist(s)

For pages or covers, I add an extra detail when a character appears that isn't usually associated with the series. For example, I have "Brave & Bold 153 (w / Red Tornado) p 17 by Newton / Bob Smith" excluding Batman, since he's the series regular. Also Bob Smith instead of just Smith since there are so many Smiths. http://cafurl.com?i=22582 If I was lucky enough to have a page, it would be "Brave & Bold 34 (Hawkman) p X by Kubert".

I list the artist because I think it's interesting to know that up front. For instance, those titles appear in the CAF "latest updates" e-mails. If I see an update for collector X and the title just says "Wolverine", I may not click on it. Wolverine isn't one of my keyword searches.

If I saw "Wolverine by Joe Shmoe" and artist Joe Shmoe isn't one of my keyword searches, that combination of character and artist may make me more tempted to click on the link.

Would everyone click on every link if the title was "Batman on gargoyle" ??

So I click onto your CAF link.

I'm met by all the thumbnail images that have:

* Description - in which you consider it a good idea to include the artist's name.

* The Artist's Name - directly listed underneath the main description.

Seems a pointless exercise to include the artist's name in the main description when it's clearly identified underneath ? (shrug)

I don't put the artist in the title because there's already a specific place to input it. Seems redundant to add it again.

Same.

I list pages with the comic title, issue number and page number. Anything else is in the description.

And like I explained in the "what % of art is on CAF" thread, I like uniformity and dislike clutter in my CAF. Viewing a page of 18 thumbnails all listed the same way . . . :cloud9:

This sums it up for me too.

* Description - in which you consider it a good idea to include the artist's name.

Seems a pointless exercise to include the artist's name in the main description when it's clearly identified underneath ? (shrug)

I agree that once you are on my or anyone's page it's pointless to have artist in the title and again underneath. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to know if doing this helped in searches? My experience with the search function was that not all pieces were coming up all the time.

I agree that once you are on my or anyone's page it's pointless to have artist in the title and again underneath. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to know if doing this helped in searches? My experience with the search function was that not all pieces were coming up all the time.

OTOH, if the notice is going out on the CAF Notifications, as mentioned above, the artist's name is a big reason for me to click the link. I monitor a pretty good number of galleries so I appreciate that in a description.

164503.jpg.de12736cb26184e40948b9657ba21cfa.jpg

OTOH, if the notice is going out on the CAF Notifications, as mentioned above, the artist's name is a big reason for me to click the link. I monitor a pretty good number of galleries so I appreciate that in a description.

+1

Most of the time I visit CAF to look at other peoples' galleries, it's because I got my twice-daily CAF Notification e-mail, which only lists the main description and the gallery owner of the pieces that have been listed that meet my search criteria. As you can imagine, it is extremely helpful to have the artist name listed in the main description as opposed to it just saying "Batman commission" or "Detective #366, p.14". :doh:

I personally list the primary artist, title, page number, publisher and year of publication in the main description, e.g. "Alan Davis - Uncanny X-Men #213, p. 19 (Marvel, 1987)". I also list each primary artist in his own folder - for me, it's always easier to search for exactly what I'm looking for as opposed to looking through a folder that may be full of material that I'm not interested in. I mean, sure, I may be interested in looking through a folder titled "Marvel - covers" with 36 entries, but if I'm looking specifically for all pieces by a certain artist, I'd rather have the option of looking just for that.

I used to sometimes include extra pertinent information (e.g., highlighting first appearances) in the main description, but later removed all of that. One CAF member suggested recently that I spice up my titles with extra keywords that will get pinged on popular searches to increase my page views, but I like the clinical, standardized, low-key format that I've settled on and prefer to just let the art speak for itself. 2c

For pages, I like to include the year published, artist(s), issue number, page, primary character(s)/team, and any other pertinent info

For commissions, I like to include the artist(s), characters(s)/team

Not all of this is necessarily pertinent for search purposes but it does help to provide a nice snapshot of details for the art. I am not as consistent as I would like to be and need to update some pieces in my gallery