• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 9 cgc 9.0 on ebay tonight

25 posts in this topic

Anyone else come across this one tonight! Love the auction description - and I bet I can guess from who he bought that lovely comic which ended up color touched and trimmed. Pretty good way to run an auction though - I am sure he is getting a ton of emails asking where he bought the book raw. Perhaps ebay will one day stop the private auctions meant to dissuade us joy/thrillbidders! At least the buy it now price is in line with the equally insane prices on all those journeys thrown up tonight.

I AM GOING TO LIST THIS BOOK AT A BUY IT NOW PRICE OF WHAT I PAID AND I WILL "EAT" THE COST OF GRADING, FEES, SHIPPING, ETC...SAD

I think he will be eating more than the grading fees. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This belongs in the Infinite Auction Watch Thread!!!! flowerred.gif

BTW, why is it no longer for sale 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe slapnuts decided to give the poor guy his money back. confused-smiley-013.gif

This belongs in the Infinite Auction Watch Thread!!!! flowerred.gif

BTW, why is it no longer for sale 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe slapnuts decided to give the poor guy his money back. confused-smiley-013.gif

yup. seems he created the requisite amount of ruckus to get a refund.

Anyone else come across this one tonight! Love the auction description - and I bet I can guess from who he bought that lovely comic which ended up color touched and trimmed. Pretty good way to run an auction though - I am sure he is getting a ton of emails asking where he bought the book raw. Perhaps ebay will one day stop the private auctions meant to dissuade us joy/thrillbidders! At least the buy it now price is in line with the equally insane prices on all those journeys thrown up tonight.

interesting that he called this a 9.0 "Qualified" in both the title and subsequent description, despite the clear fact that it's a PURPLE PLOD confused.gif

surprised that Richard would wait so long to corral this guy before the damage was done via the flood of e-mails.

and i have to agree with you on those JIM's!!!! great books but some "take-no-prisoners" pricing - i wish Brent luck, but will be a little surprised if they sell. of course the reserves may be set well below the BIN's, but i'd be afraid that the BIN's would scare folks off.

and i have to agree with you on those JIM's!!!! great books but some "take-no-prisoners" pricing - i wish Brent luck, but will be a little surprised if they sell. of course the reserves may be set well below the BIN's, but i'd be afraid that the BIN's would scare folks off.

Brent paid top dollar for these books, and I don't see him giving them away. It's not like these books aren't listed on his website, so while they are new to eBayers, they are not new to the big time collectors.

While JIM books are great and very tough to find, it seems that there really is only a very small pool of collectors looking for the very HG copies (similar to TTA's and maybe Strange Tales).

Other then Mark Wilson (PGCMint) who puts books up on eBay without a reserve, seeing dealers books on eBay, doesn't mean the reserve prices are substantially lower then on their site.

Why Dr. Richard Koos of course. Come on now - were just teasing? I have thought a lot about people complaining about being ripped off by comic book "doctors" and one in particular and it has led me to ask a few questions. Is it any different to overpay for an allegedly "valueless" comic which has undisclosed repair than grossly overpaying for a comic which is just overgraded or overpaying due to hype or movie frenzy or stupidity? Some will disagree but I kind of see them all the same when you look at the end result. When the buyer ultimately figures out that he "has been sold" or suckered, he gets turned off with the hobby. It all looks like hucksterism. And it all boils down to the buyer being sold on something - or sort or tricked/deceived. For instance - people who paid $100 for Harbinger 1 because it was such a great book and was so collectible and rare. Store owners who bought 500 copies of gold foil cover X-men ## so they could get a"free" special cover version they could sell for $50 - and they got stuck with 300 copies they could not sell. Or someone who buys Schmulk #37 cgc 9.7 from national well known dealer Suburban Sprawl Comics for 5X what it has been selling for on ebay which happens to be 20x guide by the way. Or someone who buys a "certified" unrestored comic which has actually been restored but just not called restored because the grading committee does not "consider" it resto because it can't really detect it - and oh by the way, they have finicial ties to parties who do that type of work and others who make lots of $$$ selling those kinds of books. Or the guy who pays 50X guide for a cgc graded Hulk 181 because it is hot - although there are 50,000 copies in the same grade. Or the guy who just wants to get rid of dead gramps" old funny books and takes his burden to Honest Joe's Comics who is known for being the most fair and who pays him pennies on the dollar for this multi-million dollar pedigree. Now the last example happens but is rare compared to how often the other events occur. In each case, the buyer willingly parts with his money -he succumbs to his own desire to get a piece of the action and ends up getting duped by a good salesman. Really not that much different that what happens on eaby with guys like the chump that bought that Avengers 9. And don't be mistaken, most of those buyers are chumps and are learning the hard way and are paying for being both naive/stupid and greedy. How does [#@$%!!!] stay in business? Well ebay is a kind of accessory to the fraud in their allowance of these private auctions by parties with private feedback. But beyond that [#@$%!!!] makes money because people are stupid and greedy enough to allow themselves to be sold on what is an obvious fraud or deception. Air raid sirens warning you of a problem should be going off in your head when you look at an auction set up like that. But people still buy those books at a premium because they think they may get that raw 9.8 white paged pristine beauty that they can sell for $3000 while they only paid $500 on ebay just cause good ole Dr. Koos just did not feel like having it cgcd, he wanted you to make some money on the book, he just doesn't like happy/thrill/joy bidders bidding so that's why he has all the private stuff - it is all set up so you as the buyer wins and wins and wins. Anybody that buys all tht bull kind of deserves what he gets. It is all based and designed to work on the greed of the buyer who ignores all the signs and proceeds and throws caution to the wind. And someone able to spend $600 on a comic ought to have better sense! To close, the problem with all this dear Brutus lies not with the stars - or wicked comic book salesman if you will- but with ourselves.

Yes a lot of words! But apparently two words or initials you can not use on here would be the pig latin eycomicska! I wonder if that will get past the moronic people who are in charge of censoring this playground. what a laugh! I wonder if you can use C and K in any other combination and get past the brain surgeons?

So, if I read his auction description correctly, he hoped he was buying a 9.4/9.6, and was pleasantly surprised that it was given a 9.2, which is still respectable. thumbsup2.gif

He then broke the book out of the slab and resubmitted it no doubt hoping for that bump to a 9.4. Not only did he not receive a 9.4 or even the same 9.2, but the book's grade dropped to a 9.0. 893whatthe.gif

Now, the difference between a 9.2 and 9.0 can be negligible, and with human grading the fact that one day it was a 9.2 and another day it was a 9.0 doesn't really bother me at all. It would be nice if it didn't happen, but that's life.

HOWEVER, is not one person concerned that the book came back a second time from CGC as a plod? 893censored-thumb.gif Meaning, they missed restoration that should easily have been noticed the first time around. 893whatthe.gifsumo.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I see that as the bigger concern here than ComicKeys - if it was indeed him - doing his thing.

popcorn.gif