• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree trying to sell art now?
3 3

229 posts in this topic

I think Pedigree is wanting to move way up way too fast. The reserves are for protecting sellers. What a disaster if they did no reserve there would be. I mean they have just two auctions under their belt and no big following, so there are some mighty big cracks for nice lots to fall through. Sure it's frustrating as a buyer wanting a fair shot at a no reserve true auction would be nice and I'm sure it will get to that point. I think it's ok that they set reserves in these first "trial run" auctions. That's as well if they eventually move toward less reserves in the future and I think you will see that number decline as they become more popular. The big three have decades in total in comparison. I think the offerings were impressive for a first and second attempt as well. Yup they had to assure clients because they were new that there would be no substantial losses possible and I'm sure consignor input had a lot to do with higher than normal reserve. They must have agreed to it just to get the art. Going forward I would expect things to get normal. I bought a piece from this auction and feel comfortable completing my deal. Communications have been professional and prompt. I think they will be around for good with OA. Just my lame opinion.

Added:

I think if there were no reserves but the appearances of impropriety (in house shilling) that would absolutely ice their chances at both comics and OA. I think everything sold was legit. Even the Timm art that sold as we found out.

Edited by Junkdrawer

My question is how much is Randy being paid and how are they justifying his salary?Based on the commissions I calculated from this auction, Pedigree stands to make about $25,000 on art sales for the year. Does that really offset his salary + travel+ cost of running the site etc.

I honestly found his posts on these boards off putting and thus even less interested in looking at their auction listings.

Reputations are built around first impressions...

...'nuff said!

:)

Would you be talking about your own impression made based solely on your own experiences or the ones made by others that you made yours from? Because the later is no way to go through life making impressions of people, places, or things.

...'nuff said!

Would you be talking about your own impression made based solely on your own experiences or the ones made by others that you made yours from? Because the later is no way to go through life making impressions of people, places, or things.

I don't need to stick my hand in a fire if I see some other poor do it first and get burned. (tsk)

...'nuff said!

I don't need to stick my hand in a fire if I see some other poor do it first and get burned. (tsk)

Ah yes, the power of example, yet no one respects the flame quite like the fool who's badly burned. Edited by Junkdrawer

On 10/21/2016 at 10:51 AM, dgillock said:
     O. said: 
Twanj said:
    Pete Marino said: 
    Rune said: 
    Twanj said: 
    Junkdrawer said: 

for instance

issue_image-000377.jpghttps://www.pedigreecomics.com/v2/auction/comic_art/056410

AVENGERS: INFINITY GAUNTLET #2 COVER ORIGINAL ART(Thanos crushes Marvel)

ROM LIM & SANDU FLOREA art team - signed by both

this sold about a year ago on Comic Link for $1200 to Cool lines. it's ink only art, nothing by Ron Lim on this page. I want to say Cool lines had it listed somewhere recently for $3800? I don't remember exactly. now it's at $4250 on Pedigree.

It's still available here:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=303458

I'm wondering if such pieces ever were sent to PedigreeComics or if they all still are at Coollinesartwork. The scan looks identical on both websites. When buying from HA or CLink I think they always had the pieces in their hands, so they're able to check and investige the pieces if necessary.

If most of the pieces are still at the consignors, then PedigreeComics can do little to evaluate the pieces before the auction is over. I've always thought that the good thing about HA or CLink was that their art experts provided some security if there's something odd about a piece.

If you're sure Ron Lim didn't draw anything on this piece, then to me there's a serious error in the listing on Pedigreecomics - it directly states that Ron Lim is the primary artist of this particular piece.

On a side note over the years I've bought a few books from Doug, never had any trouble and I didn't pay more than usual compared to GPA prices - and Doug was very helpful.

Did I miss in the description where it says it's ink over blue line? I'd expect a reputable auction house to specifically call that out.....

it was in the description on Comic Link when it went for $1200 (which was why it went for that).

since then the price tripled & that got left off subsequent descriptions :(

Well it sold for $5,150. 

If CLink was wrong about it being inks only, then both buyers got a steal.

If, however, the CLink description was accurate..... 

Just thought I would chime in here... I worked with the consignor of this piece when he sold it through ComicLink in 2015. From the outset he was very clear that this piece was Florea's published ink art over a blueline of Lim's pencils. I even have an email exchange with him where he mentions that "Lim would not sell the pencils"... so, I am highly confident that our 2015 listing was in fact correct.

I would expect that the nature of this piece simply was not communicated to Pedigree by their consignor. I can't imagine that they would intentionally leave out this sort of info. Maybe they never even had the piece in their possession. Seems like they probably did not have possession of many of the items in the auction.

If the buyer of this piece is on the boards and wants to get more info on the piece, discuss it further, etc., please PM me or contact me directly at dgillock@comiclink.com

This cover sure does get around...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381998987251?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

16 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Ink over graphite on Marvel Bristol board!

Nice! Now it is pencil and ink! :insane:

Did the piece actually "sell" or is the eBay seller a "friend of a friend of a friend" of one or more previous and financially interested parties? I ask because I don't know. I also don't want to unfairly paint anybody in a poor light; truly just asking.

23 hours ago, rotembk said:

So now only a trap for the unwary.

I don't see a buyer at $9,500 either way, but at least all the information is given unlike when it was offered on Pedigree.

55 minutes ago, Twanj said:

I don't see a buyer at $9,500 either way, but at least all the information is given unlike when it was offered on Pedigree.

No, now the information is accurate enough such that a buyer wouldn't be able to argue they were, to put it bluntly, defrauded (and the fact someone got Ron Lim to sign the piece at some point after the previous sale doesn't help). And just in case it wasn't obvious, my issue is with the seller, not you.

Yesterday I asked the seller, via eBay, :

"Are these original LIM pencils ?"

and the reply has come back :

"Hi, Yes, they are. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns"

Unambiguous and somehow genuine sounding ? 

1 hour ago, rotembk said:

No, now the information is accurate enough such that a buyer wouldn't be able to argue they were, to put it bluntly, defrauded (and the fact someone got Ron Lim to sign the piece at some point after the previous sale doesn't help). And just in case it wasn't obvious, my issue is with the seller, not you.

I didn't notice that Lim signed it now...ugh

(yeh, it's not my sale - I'm the one complaining about the dishonest tactics so I don't think anyone would have a problem)

1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

I'm confused.  If this cover is inks over a copy of pencils (blue line) then how is the Ebay description now corrected or accurate?

hmm...looks like he changed it back to say "Pencil and ink on Marvel Bristol board!"

:whatthe:

On 9/13/2016 at 10:16 AM, jaybuck43 said:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049021&fpart=1

Here's the disbarment record where he was disbarred on 48 sustained counts ranging from conversion (fancy word for stealing money from clients) to commingling funds to avoid liens. And that's how he assembled his collection....

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-supreme-court-appellate-division/1022446.html

This should be stickied.