• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree trying to sell art now?
3 3

229 posts in this topic

I encountered some odd bidding on this site. There's a piece I'm interested in that had no bids. I'm bidder #1 with a bid of 100 and a maximum bid of 150. I get a note last night that I'm outbid and the new bid price is $419. There are only 2 bids in place with mine being 1 of 2.

I encountered some odd bidding on this site. There's a piece I'm interested in that had no bids. I'm bidder #1 with a bid of 100 and a maximum bid of 150. I get a note last night that I'm outbid and the new bid price is $419. There are only 2 bids in place with mine being 1 of 2.

I think the reserves kicked in last night/this morning.

Appears no lessons learned from first sale.

Apparently not. Randy solicited me on eBay in November to sell some of my pieces in this auction. I said that I wasn't interested after the results of the last one. His response was that the auction did well, but the problem was there was a consignor with reserves too high. But yet here's the next auction with the same problem.

Glad my stuff is going to clink.

I figured you guys would appreciate this. I ran a scrapper on their auctions (and will continue to do so as long as they are running art auctions). Here's what I found.

There are 285 art pieces up for auction.

Only 46 pieces have met their reserve (or have a bid and had no reserve)

63 pieces do not have a bid on them

176 pieces have not met their reserve.

If the auction ends as it is now, they will have brought in $14,932 on 46 pieces an average of $324.61 per piece. Given their sliding scale, they will have gotten 10% on all but 1 piece (which is at 4400) so their total commission for this sale would be $1405.20

The total value of all pieces that have not met their reserve is $686,522 (as of now).

Looking forward to see what the final numbers/sales are. Anyone wanna guess if the over/under of pieces sold cracks 100?

Regardless of the reserves, which is an issue, my biggest problem is this -

Ship your art pieces directly to our offices in Wellington, Florida. They will inventory, scan and upload each piece into the Grand Auction listing. The art will be listed under your personal account and you will receive email notification at the conclusion of the auction with a list of every consigned piece that sold along with the winning bid made.

Email the scans of the art you wish to consign directly to us at Randylawrence@pedigreecomics.com. We will format and upload each scan onto their server and then put each item into the Grand Auction listing. Please use a .jpeg format with the resolution set at 72 and the pixel width at 1200 for optimum clarity. If you do not have a scanner you can use a digital camera.

You can upload your own scans, item information, descriptions and reserve amounts, if any, by utilizing their Automated Consignment System. Just register onto the site and login, click the “My Consignments” tab under “Your Account”. You will then be able to enter the Pedigree Comics Consignment Management System and list your own original art. Pedigree will receive an email once you have uploaded the scan and art information for each individual item into the system and they will then review the information imparted for accuracy. The item(s) will then be added to the Grand Auction listing to be bid on. You will be amazed how simple it is to use the Automated Consignment System!

Those are the options you have to consign with them. Heritage, Clink etc have items in hand with knowledgeable people looking over the art. I don't see a lot of mistakes on listings at those other sites, and when pointed out are generally fixed quickly. Pedigree has no idea what they're selling. Not having items in hand, and not vetting pieces in their auction (if they even have enough OA experience to) seems like amateur hour at best.

any more egregious errors/omissions like last time?

I see less interesting stuff this auction

There's an interesting one that I'm wondering if people have read carefully. The Trimbe IH 162 page is currently up to $2325 with the reserve not met. Yet this is not the published piece. They admit in the description that the last 6 pages were "lost" after inking and Trimbe had to ink over a copy of his pencils for publication. So the published piece is copy of Trimbe pencils with Trimbe inks over it. This is the original Trimbe pencils and Trapini inks, but it is not the piece used for publication.

any more egregious errors/omissions like last time?

I see less interesting stuff this auction

There's an interesting one that I'm wondering if people have read carefully. The Trimbe IH 162 page is currently up to $2325 with the reserve not met. Yet this is not the published piece. They admit in the description that the last 6 pages were "lost" after inking and Trimbe had to ink over a copy of his pencils for publication. So the published piece is copy of Trimbe pencils with Trimbe inks over it. This is the original Trimbe pencils and Trapini inks, but it is not the piece used for publication.

I agree it would be more honest to have UNPUBLISHED in the title but at least it's in the description.

is this a cool lines 3-4x FMV for $2375 for an unpublished Trimpe page or is that anywhere near reasonable?

"1972 all-out battle page from the historic VERY FIRST WENDIGO STORY, which was penciled by the late great Herb Trimpe, and inked by the great Sal Trapani, from the story titled: "Wendigo -- The Thing that Walks Like a Man!" This nice page features ALL OUT Battle with The Incredible Hulk battling the Wendigo throughout! The last 6 pages to this great story were LOST after they were inked by Sal Trapani in 1972, so Herb Trimpe had to ink over a copy of his original pencils for publication. This page right here is from those lost pages, which were purchased from the Sal Trapani estate in 2014. These pages are virtually identical to the published Hulk 162 comic book AND this is the only page 20 that was penciled by Herb Trimpe and inked by Sal Trapani to the incredibly HISTORIC 1972 FIRST WENDIGO APPEARANCE ISSUE!"

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction/comic_art/056985/the-incredible-hulk-162-page-20-lost-page-1st-wendigo