• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

144 posts in this topic

Spider-man, X-men, and the Hulk are Marvel's most well-known characters (in that order), and FF 1 started it all so the top 4 books are:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Not surprisingly, the 4 books listed above along with Spidey #1 are the 5 most valuable Marvels according to Overstreet. Looking at actual sales data, you can add Journey into Mystery 83 to the list as it's right up there with X-men 1 in terms of value. However, since we're looking for the top 5 keys and not the top 5 most valuable books, we can drop Spidey 1 off the list and therefore, I present you with the Big Five:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

Arguably, one could substitute ToS 39 or DD 1 for the JIM 83, but no way on God's green Earth do Avengers 1 or 4 trump any of the Big Five!! foreheadslap.gif

(For those that don't have Hulk 1 on the list ----> screwy.gif)

I find it hard to put the Hulk there because he lasted 6 issues then didn't resurface for another two years until TTA#59? Hardly one of Marvel's blue chippers back in the day.

Your argument would have some validity if we we're trying to determine what the top 5 Marvel SA keys were "back in the day", but what we're doing is trying to determine what the top 5 Marvel SA keys are today.

Didn't resurface until TTA 59? Nope, Hulk appeared in both FF and Spider-man prior to TTA 59, and he was the first Marvel SA character to crossover into another title. Hulk's cover appearance on FF 12 ushered in the era of Marvel's "hero vs. hero" covers (and something that made them different from DC) that are so highly sought after today (FF 12/25/26, DD 7/16/17 ASM 19, TTA 59, Avengers 11, ToS 49, ST 107, the list goes on and on...). Hulk appeared in early issues of FF, Spider-man, and Journey into Mystery, was a founding member of the Avengers, and today is Marvel's 3rd most widely recognized franchise character behind Spidey and the X-men.

I am aware of the cross overs but it was a two year absence from full time status. Yes I look at this poll as if it was back in the day otherwise I would throw Hulk #1 and Tos #39 in there, certainly from a dollar value perspective.

Spider-man, X-men, and the Hulk are Marvel's most well-known characters (in that order), and FF 1 started it all so the top 4 books are:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Not surprisingly, the 4 books listed above along with Spidey #1 are the 5 most valuable Marvels according to Overstreet. Looking at actual sales data, you can add Journey into Mystery 83 to the list as it's right up there with X-men 1 in terms of value. However, since we're looking for the top 5 keys and not the top 5 most valuable books, we can drop Spidey 1 off the list and therefore, I present you with the Big Five:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

Arguably, one could substitute ToS 39 or DD 1 for the JIM 83, but no way on God's green Earth do Avengers 1 or 4 trump any of the Big Five!! foreheadslap.gif

I find it hard to put the Hulk there because he lasted 6 issues then didn't resurface for another two years until TTA#59? Hardly one of Marvel's blue chippers back in the day.

Your argument would have some validity if we we're trying to determine what the top 5 Marvel SA keys were "back in the day", but what we're doing is trying to determine what the top 5 Marvel SA keys are today.

Didn't resurface until TTA 59? Nope, Hulk appeared in both FF and Spider-man prior to TTA 59, and he was the first Marvel SA character to crossover into another title. Hulk's cover appearance on FF 12 ushered in the era of Marvel's "hero vs. hero" covers (and something that made them different from DC) that are so highly sought after today (FF 12/25/26, DD 7/16/17 ASM 19, TTA 59, Avengers 11, ToS 49, ST 107, the list goes on and on...). Hulk appeared in early issues of FF, Spider-man, and Journey into Mystery, was a founding member of the Avengers, and today is Marvel's 3rd most widely recognized franchise character behind Spidey and the X-men.

I think you mean ASM 14 not 19 right? confused.gif

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

I can't even believe anyone's arguing whether Hulk #1 should be included. foreheadslap.gif He is one of the most recognizable superheroes in the world. Marvel made more money on Hulk movie merchandise licensing than they did on box office and DVD proceeds from the movie. They made more money from Hulk movie licensing than they did off of licensing from the first Spider-Man movie.

I guess maybe we should have clarified the question a bit first. I took it as back in the day and found it hard to put a 6 issue title in Marvel's top 5.

flowerred.gif I forgive you.

Banner is still fuming though. Better send him a cookie.

I guess maybe we should have clarified the question a bit first. I took it as back in the day and found it hard to put a 6 issue title in Marvel's top 5.

I took it to mean the same thing too - can I be forgiven too?

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

I think you mean ASM 14 not 19 right? confused.gif

Nah, Spidey 19 is the Torch x-over, forgot about Spidey 16 with the DD x-over as well. Spidey 14 is known for the 1st appearance Green Goblin, but the book has a huge Spidey vs. Hulk battle (and he is featured on the cover).

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

I can't even believe anyone's arguing whether Hulk #1 should be included. foreheadslap.gif He is one of the most recognizable superheroes in the world. Marvel made more money on Hulk movie merchandise licensing than they did on box office and DVD proceeds from the movie. They made more money from Hulk movie licensing than they did off of licensing from the first Spider-Man movie.

Yep, like I said, it's screwy.gif.

I was waiting for him to say, "don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry". poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

I have to agree with the man who put Avengers #4 on the list. THat finding Cap frozen storyline was great and even more than Submariner really linked the marvbel universe to the old timely one. Submariner imo was always outside the mainstream and Captain America was centerfield.

I think some other keys from an evoloution standpoint were the first Yellowjacket. A mentally ill superhero who develops a split personality and builds a self evolving oepidal robot? That's really not too "60s" it seems more Alan Moore MiracleMen speed than 60s marvel

[

Yeah, but X-Men was never very successful in the SA and went into reprints in the 70s and no one has even raised a peep about it's inclusion. Overall, the impact has been great. Just like, overall, the Hulk's impact has been greater than Thor's.

I left the X-Men off for that very reason and that is why when we talk about SA books I try and think of their impact in that era. Certainly the Hulk is more well known than Thor for the past 30 years but wasn't exactly a big hit in the early days. In terms of significance for the era at that time I think Avengers #4 and FF#4 are huge especially given the circumstances in the mid 50's that led to their decline. They dissappeared without a trace for 6-7 years so can you imagine what it would have been like to pick those mags up for the first time. Maybe Burnt Boy can share a story or two from back in the day. In modern day books, rebirth's or relanches of characters are a monthly occurance, unfortunantely.

i've said this many times before and will gladly repeat that those two books (FF4 & Avengers4) are among my absolute favorite comics ever!!!

when FF4 hit the stands i couldn't find a copy anywhere near my home. i'd recently just gotten my cousin interested in comics and he had it. i cannot tell you how jealous i was. i was 14 years old and a freshman in highschool at the time. the concept of a long dormant GA character coming back to life was terribly exciting. i read my cousins copy to death and continued tio hunt for my own. it took about a year to find a copy at a used book/magazine store down in Newark, who charged full price for any books that weren't going to have their titles cut off and sent back to the distributor.

when Cap was revived in ST #114 it was the same feeling all over again. i'd never read a Cap story but had heard of him and was equally pumped. despite the disappointment over Cap being just the "Acrobat" in disguise, i think i knew he'd be back. the storyline of Avengers #4 was simple and most effective. unlike DC, marvel had brought back 2 major GA heroes as they originally were with pretty decent and logical stories that were easy to accept.

both of these books would be in my second 5 in the discussed category. i went with Pimpy's (before dr banner got all the credit) 5 of af 15, ff1, x-men 1, hulk 1 & Jim 83.................i would follow those up with DD 1, TOS 39, FF4, Avengers 4 and either Ff 3 or 5.................. sumo.gif

Very cool story Burnt. I would have beat the cr@p out my cousin and taken his FF#4. 27_laughing.gif

within a year, he got interested in playing drums and stopped buying comics. so one summer day i head over to his house in Kenilworth, NJ and scour the place from top to bottom looking for the first dozen or so issues of FF and whatever else was out at the time. But, apparently, his mom or 4 siblings beat me to them and they went the way of so many untold millions of copies into the garbage....... frown.gif

it would have been cool to have decent doubles of those books that kicked off the marvel age............ cloud9.gif

Very cool story Burnt. I would have beat the cr@p out my cousin and taken his FF#4. 27_laughing.gif

within a year, he got interested in playing drums and stopped buying comics. so one summer day i head over to his house in Kenilworth, NJ and scour the place from top to bottom looking for the first dozen or so issues of FF and whatever else was out at the time. But, apparently, his mom or 4 siblings beat me to them and they went the way of so many untold millions of copies into the garbage....... frown.gif

it would have been cool to have decent doubles of those books that kicked off the marvel age............ cloud9.gif

FF#4 and Avengers #4 are two books I use to own but are high on my repurchase list. Problem is I want a decent copy of FF#4 but the price jumps by leaps and bounds once you get over a 6.5 grade. There was a beautiful Avengers #4 9.2 that recently sold on Comic Link for $2,900 and I think that it is a complete steal. cloud9.gif

My list:

X-men #1

Journey Into Mystery #83

Amazing Fantasy #15

Tales of Suspense #39

Avengers #1

What no FF#1? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmmm, not too sure. I guess I was going off my personal favorites. I like the FF, but I like all of the others more.

FF#4 and Avengers #4 are two books I use to own but are high on my repurchase list. Problem is I want a decent copy of FF#4 but the price jumps by leaps and bounds once you get over a 6.5 grade. There was a beautiful Avengers #4 9.2 that recently sold on Comic Link for $2,900 and I think that it is a complete steal.

It's not a steal when it sits there for several months at that price. It looked like a really nice copy but our own BleekerBob checked it out in person and wasn't that impressed (course that's what he told be).

The real steal was the dang FF #5 CGC 8.0 that sold for $3,200. Considering CGC 8.5's with Cream / Off-White pages go for over 5 large and 9.0's are showing bids at 10 large, I'm still ticked that I didn't just hit the BIN when I saw it (definitely my biggest comic regret in awhile). foreheadslap.gif

I would really like a nice, bright CGC 9.0 copy of that book (anyone have one). grin.gifflowerred.gif