• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

144 posts in this topic

FF#4 and Avengers #4 are two books I use to own but are high on my repurchase list. Problem is I want a decent copy of FF#4 but the price jumps by leaps and bounds once you get over a 6.5 grade. There was a beautiful Avengers #4 9.2 that recently sold on Comic Link for $2,900 and I think that it is a complete steal.

It's not a steal when it sits there for several months at that price. It looked like a really nice copy but our own BleekerBob checked it out in person and wasn't that impressed (course that's what he told be).

The real steal was the dang FF #5 CGC 8.0 that sold for $3,200. Considering CGC 8.5's with Cream / Off-White pages go for over 5 large and 9.0's are showing bids at 10 large, I'm still ticked that I didn't just hit the BIN when I saw it (definitely my biggest comic regret in awhile). foreheadslap.gif

I would really like a nice, bright CGC 9.0 copy of that book (anyone have one). grin.gifflowerred.gif

Well the cover of that Avengers #4 looked rather sharp and when you consider what a 9.4 and a 9.6 are going for I can't see a 9.2 going for much cheaper? It certainly looks better than cream page White Mountain copy that is listed for $3,500 I still think that early Avengers issues are undervalued, plentifully yes but you can still pick up some decent high grade for a fraction of what other early Marvel main titles are going for. Avengers #3 in 9.2 is next on my list of books to buy. cloud9.gif I saw that FF#5 you are referring to and I wasn't surprised when it was scooped up quickly.

FF#4 and Avengers #4 are two books I use to own but are high on my repurchase list. Problem is I want a decent copy of FF#4 but the price jumps by leaps and bounds once you get over a 6.5 grade. There was a beautiful Avengers #4 9.2 that recently sold on Comic Link for $2,900 and I think that it is a complete steal.

It's not a steal when it sits there for several months at that price. It looked like a really nice copy but our own BleekerBob checked it out in person and wasn't that impressed (course that's what he told be).

The real steal was the dang FF #5 CGC 8.0 that sold for $3,200. Considering CGC 8.5's with Cream / Off-White pages go for over 5 large and 9.0's are showing bids at 10 large, I'm still ticked that I didn't just hit the BIN when I saw it (definitely my biggest comic regret in awhile). foreheadslap.gif

I would really like a nice, bright CGC 9.0 copy of that book (anyone have one). grin.gifflowerred.gif

Well the cover of that Avengers #4 looked rather sharp and when you consider what a 9.4 and a 9.6 are going for I can't see a 9.2 going for much cheaper? It certainly looks better than cream page White Mountain copy that is listed for $3,500 I still think that early Avengers issues are undervalued, plentifully yes but you can still pick up some decent high grade for a fraction of what other early Marvel main titles are going for. Avengers #3 in 9.2 is next on my list of books to buy. cloud9.gif I saw that FF#5 you are referring to and I wasn't surprised when it was scooped up quickly.

I'm happy with my FF 5 CGC 6.5 cloud9.gif

you willing to pay the 10 Grand you say this book will command????poke2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The real steal was the dang FF #5 CGC 8.0 that sold for $3,200. Considering CGC 8.5's with Cream / Off-White pages go for over 5 large and 9.0's are showing bids at 10 large, I'm still ticked that I didn't just hit the BIN when I saw it (definitely my biggest comic regret in awhile).

I would really like a nice, bright CGC 9.0 copy of that book (anyone have one).

you willing to pay the 10 Grand you say this book will command????

I phrased that wrong. I want an Avengers #4 in CGC 9.0. I would accept an FF #5 in CGC 8.0.

Would I pay $10K for an FF #5 in CGC 9.0. Not at this time, basically because I'm hoping that I could get a nice CGC 8.0 for between $3,200-3,500. The price of that book has really shot up a lot over the past six months, and the historical trend will be that the book will stabalize for several years. Examples (ASM #14 and even JIM #83 was very hot last year, and has been flat to slightly down since then).

Had to chime in...

In order:

FF 1

AF 15

ASM 1

X-Men 1

Hulk 1

Next five in order:

JIM 83

TOS 39

TTA 27

Avengers 1

DD 1

And the next 5 in order:

Avengers 4

ST 110

FF 4

ST 101

FF 48

And finally the last 5 in order:

ASM 14

FF 5

SS 1

IM 1

CA 100

--Gary

I can see your point, SS. It's tough ranking them after the top 10...

I was having a problem with ranking the lower-range heroes with the top villians (Doom vs. Subby; Torch vs. Goblin, etc...).

Had to chime in...

In order:

FF 1

AF 15

ASM 1

X-Men 1

Hulk 1

I would swap AF 15 and FF1, but the rest of the list is 893applaud-thumb.gif

Next five in order:

JIM 83

TOS 39

TTA 27

Avengers 1

DD 1

And the next 5 in order:

Avengers 4

ST 110

FF 4

ST 101

FF 48

ASM 14

FF 5

SS 1

IM 1

CA 100

--Gary

I would swap FF5 and FF4. I would also put ASM 14 ahead of ST 101 and FF 48. BUT -- a very good list, Gary. cloud9.gif

Better get in here... poke2.gif

FF 1

AF 15

Hulk 1

X-men 1

ASM 1 Tie - with X-men 1

Next five in order:

JIM 83

TOS 39

TTA 27

Avengers 1

ST 110

And the next 5 in order:

Avengers 4

DD 1

FF 5

ASM 14

FF 4

ST 101

FF 48

IM 1

CA 100

SS 1

-=A=-

I'm going to state here (though I hate generalities like this) that most "old school" guys like me would rank FF1 ahead of AF15.

Growing up, because it was the first Marvel silver-age super hero book, FF1 was always considered the most important Marvel. But with Spidey's popularity sky-rocketing over the years, I can understand why the next generation (and subsequent generations) would rank AF15 higher...

I'm going to state here (though I hate generalities like this) that most "old school" guys like me would rank FF1 ahead of AF15.

I'm not all that old and the idea of ranking anything ahead of FF1 bothers me. FF1 is THE KEY MARVEL BOOK to me. Everything else is just an addition to the FF1 foundation.

I'm not all that old and the idea of ranking anything ahead of FF1 bothers me. FF1 is THE KEY MARVEL BOOK to me. Everything else is just an addition to the FF1 foundation.

893applaud-thumb.gif so take that, FFB! tongue.gif