• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird SA Horror Find...

18 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I rarely look or post over here in SA because I'm really a GA guy at heart. I picked up a weird book this weekend and thought maybe you guys would know some thing about it.

It is probably a very late issue of Unusual Tales by Charlton. There is no number on the cover and the inner covers are blank. Outer cover is printed in black ink only. The interiors are in color. It has a box in the bottom right cornet that suggests it is a give-a-way from Turkish Taffey. I couldn't find this listed in Overstreet unless I missed it. Can any one tell me anything about it? Thanks!

comunusualtalesbw1_zpstqrb5qt2.jpg

comunusualtalesbw2_zpsfumlrshz.jpg

comunusualtalesbw3_zpshr1kzwev.jpg

No it is a printed cover on the same paper it should be. I assume the regular production issue does not have the blank spot with "Courtesy of" in the spot. The back cover appears to be missing something that was maybe in color. I've seen that ad and this one looks odd. Can anybody provide a scan of the regular production issue? Still a mystery to me. I can't imagine it's worth a ton of money either way because it is, after all, a crappy Charlton...

Hey,that run has great art in it.

the back is missing colour images..my scanner is not working but

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/UNUSUAL-TALES-24-1960-FN-THE-COMPLETE-ANNIHILATOR-/311670508774?hash=item4891028ce6:g:qZ0AAOSwyLlXpP2X

Looks to me like a promotional version of a standard Charlton comic. The purchaser would use an ink stamp to put their name in the blank box in the bottom right.

Looks to me like a promotional version of a standard Charlton comic. The purchaser would use an ink stamp to put their name in the blank box in the bottom right.

That would be my guess. Cool find.

I've run across Charltons with blank inside covers before. Charlton was notorious for cheap printing quality and I think this one was an early press run that got distributed wrongly.

Comics are printed with CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK).

It looks like this cover was only done with the black plate on the front cover only.

I've run across Charltons with blank inside covers before. Charlton was notorious for cheap printing quality and I think this one was an early press run that got distributed wrongly.

Comics are printed with CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK).

It looks like this cover was only done with the black plate on the front cover only.

This. I've also seen Charltons with blank inside covers. Which makes number identification difficult since the indicia was usually printed on the inside front cover for charltons of this time period. Charlton did their own printing in Connecticut and their quality control was poor.

The Turkish Taffy image was blue and red with no black ink used,that's why it shows as blank.

The Turkish Taffy image was blue and red with no black ink used,that's why it shows as blank.

I didn't read the small print. Probably should get new glasses. :blush:

Based on that I agree that it looks like a printing error, for which Charlton is well known for.

http://www.comics.org/issue/169610/cover/4/

I just sold 4 others similar to this Bob. I got around $25 each for them. B/W covers or some had one color. Blank inside covers. The books inside were different from the covers too. Weird. That's Charlton for you - even their cool books are crappy. lol