• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. Avengers Launching with 50 State variant covers

52 posts in this topic

More state variants announced!

comicbook.com story

Whizzer for Mizzou and Spidey for NH (shrug) are favorites for this all-around bad idea.

usavengers-1-variants-11-210889-140x140.jpg

usavengers-1-variants-13-210891-140x140.jpg

whizzer sounds like mizzou sort of, I'm ok with it. She hulk in Idaho was questionable to me.

How about a variant for every horrible idea that DC and Marvel come up with.

1631985383973 variants

I miss dem old days.

And all in foil!

Sorry, nope. The foils are additional chase variants and are available in pink (1:5), yellow (1:10), green (1:25), blue (1:50), red (1:100), silver (1:500), gold (1:1000), rainbow colored (1:1,000,000), etc...

When variant collecting busts Marvel and DC are going to have to think of something to get their handful of followers to buy multiple copies of the same thing to keep the entire direct market from crashing.

I think they're expecting digital to be the "new newsstand" eventually. That's probably gonna be years and years from now though, when tablets (or whatever replaces them) become far more ubiquitous or when majority of comics are designed for small smartphone screens. Marvel's already toying with small screen optimization via their Infinite Comics line.

Marvel seems to be aggressively promoting Marvel Unlimited. Huge upfront cost but I reckon it's a fairly cost effective method to monetize their back issue catalog in the long run. I'm quite curious how many MU subscribers they need to match current revenue from the direct market. Iirc, you can only subscribe to MU via their website ergo no middleman to take a cut so the entire $10 per month/$70 per year/$100 per year all goes to Marvel. IT personnel and digital infrastructure costs are probably on par or perhaps even cheaper than printing and warehousing costs. The beauty with subscription services (at least for the service provider) is they're fairly predictable, continuous revenue.

Thus far, I find MU to be a pretty good deal thanks to access to thousands of back issues (including golden, silver and bronze age) that would have cost a small fortune if I tried to purchase them in either digital, TPB/HC or original comic book format.

Meanwhile, Amazon's Comixology Unlimited is similar to how Netflix streaming was in the beginning (primarily indies and a handful of TV shows, no blockbuster movies). CU is what got me started reading a bunch of Image Comics titles. I'd read the first volume/issue via CU and then buy the next volumes/issues. Even triple dipped for Fatale - digital, TPB and Deluxe HC. :D

I expect DC will join the fray eventually. Either as an in-house service where they get all the revenue or as a paid add-on to Comixology Unlimited kinda like how Showtime, etc are paid add-ons for Amazon Prime Video.

So do all 50 together make the flag?

Yep. Most of the character art's still ugly, though. If Marvel's cheaping out on cover art, wish they'd just recycled old character artwork and pasted those on top of the flag pieces.

The U.S.AVENGERS are here and bringing along Avengers for every state. And eagle-eye readers may notice that all 50 variants will connect to form Old Glory herself, the flag of the United States of America.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26753/introducing_usavengers_state_variants#ixzz4Q2mah7cC