• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby "Signature Series" comic for sale...

120 posts in this topic

Only verified con that Ditko attended was in 1964. There were no fat markers in 1964.

Sure about that? They were around not long after that.

Do you believe that Ditko signed this book in 1964?

With a Sharpie like Stan does, not a chance. In the 70s and prior, I'm sure, many signed with a ball point pen and the vast majority of the signatures then were in the interior of the book, not on the cover.

Only verified con that Ditko attended was in 1964. There were no fat markers in 1964.

Sure about that? They were around not long after that.

Do you believe that Ditko signed this book in 1964?

With a Sharpie like Stan does, not a chance. In the 70s and prior, I'm sure, many signed with a ball point pen and the vast majority of the signatures then were in the interior of the book, not on the cover.

Exactly. Does anyone think this is a legitimate Ditko signature authenticated by PGX? meh And a Kirby signature on the back cover too?

I have no issues with CGC's competition but I'm against any non-witnessed authentication program. All the major signature authenticators including Voldemort state in their disclaimers that the signature is in their opinion authentic.

Charlie :hi:

Problem is that this book isn't sitting in a "verified/authenticated" label slab - it's sitting in a PGX signature series slab which means they're claiming it was witnessed.

Those are the verified labels. Their Witness labels are grey.

silver-surfer-18-1970-pgx-8.0-signature-series-ss-signed-stan-lee-silver-age-marvel-comic-book-13726-p.jpg

I have no issues with CGC's competition but I'm against any non-witnessed authentication program. All the major signature authenticators including Voldemort state in their disclaimers that the signature is in their opinion authentic.

Charlie :hi:

Problem is that this book isn't sitting in a "verified/authenticated" label slab - it's sitting in a PGX signature series slab which means they're claiming it was witnessed.

Those are the verified labels. Their Witness labels are grey.

silver-surfer-18-1970-pgx-8.0-signature-series-ss-signed-stan-lee-silver-age-marvel-comic-book-13726-p.jpg

That's what I thought initially, but their verified label supposedly says "authenticated" underneath the grade:

s-l1000.jpg

The one from the comiclink auction says "signature" and is being sold as a signature series book ???

Sharpies came out in 1964. As Jazzman said, autographs were usually signed with ball point pen back then and occasionally fountain pen. Markers were expensive and dried out quickly in the olden days.

From the link below

HAS DITKO EVER ATTENDED A COMICS CONVENTION?

The only time that Ditko has attended a comics con (that has been verified anyway) was the first comics convention to be held, the New York Comicon which took place on July 27, 1964. Ditko appeared unannounced along with Marvel secretary Flo Steinberg, and sat in the audience during a panel. A few fans spoke with Ditko at the con, including Ethan Roberts who wrote about the con in Alter Ego #7 (Winter 2001). Ditko also drew the convention booklet's front cover (of Spider-Man) and back cover (of Doctor Strange), which appeared several weeks after the con occurred.

Autographed comics by Ditko do exist, however, such as a very limited number of Mr. A. comics that Ditko had signed, several years ago.

http://unitedfanzineorganization.weebly.com/ditkofaq.html#032

Ditkoselfportrait.png

I'm sure it's fake, but according to their super expensive, awesome website, they now only differentiate between verified sigs and witnessed sigs by text.

Also, it should be noted they verify their own sigs....lol.....

Screenshot%202016-09-28%2010.12.56.jpg

Does anybody have a legit comic with a ditko signature ?

Would love to hear about it...

I've seen an ASM 1 with a legit Ditko signature. They exist.

I've seen an ASM 2 with one.

Ditkosig.jpg

Ditkosigcu.jpg

Hmm maybe we can get an ASM 1-38 run signed by Ditko. We've got 1 and 2 already :banana:

Does anybody have a legit comic with a ditko signature ?

Would love to hear about it...

I've seen an ASM 1 with a legit Ditko signature. They exist.

I was with you. I can verify that statement.

How easy would it be to fool a "verified" signature program with a little practice? IMHO, quite easy.

That depends on who the expert is that is doing the verification. To an outsider looking at comics, they probably think it would be easy to color touch a comic, or marry a centerfold.

Just because CGC doesn't do something, don't think know a legit company offering such a service is bad. PGX is a fraudulent company from the start, others aren't. If a certain former CGC employee were to tell me he was confident a book was signed by Ditko, I'd believe him just as much as when he saws a slabbed book is complete and intact.

The "D's" among the two sigs look completely different (shrug)

I am someone that has to sign my name quite a bit. There are variances to my signature. I would expect there to be variances to everyone's signature. People's loops and draws of the pen when they sign something are quite different depending on where they are signing (physical space).

For example to explain what I mean because I am finding this hard to articulate. If I am signing something on a flat surface like a desk then my signature looks one way. If someone signs me something and I have to curl it so I can sign it in the air (like if I am standing up), then my signature looks another way.

The "D's" among the two sigs look completely different (shrug)

I am someone that has to sign my name quite a bit. There are variances to my signature. I would expect there to be variances to everyone's signature. People's loops and draws of the pen when they sign something are quite different depending on where they are signing (physical space).

For example to explain what I mean because I am finding this hard to articulate. If I am signing something on a flat surface like a desk then my signature looks one way. If someone signs me something and I have to curl it so I can sign it in the air (like if I am standing up), then my signature looks another way.

Not to mention that the notoriously fan adverse Ditko isn't a signature robot like Stan Lee and has not cranked out millions of signatures. Like you said, my signature changes drastically depending on what I'm using to sign, where I am signing it, and how quickly I am trying to be done.