• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watching on eBay

54 posts in this topic

Many of the same reasons stated here. My current watch list consists of 21 items. If I bought it all, I'd break the bank. But each thing in my watch list holds my interest for one reason or another. But sometimes the price is too high, sometimes I just want to see what it ends at. I also continue to watch completed unsold items to see if they are relisted for a cheaper price. I usually delete sold completed items from my list.

It's easier to watch something than it is to un-watch it. I'll set a watch, see if it is offered at a lower price, and if not, just let the watch go away with the item sells. I occasionally deleted watches that I'm no longer am interested in, but it's not a priority.

I watched one OA cover for weeks. The seller wanted roughly double what I thought it was worth -- and this was after he's lowered the price by a little. I wanted the cover, but not at 2x what I thought it should bring. But he'd lowered the price once, so...

Auction ends, it relists, I watch. A friend knows the seller, and he shares my contact info (with my permission). Seller wants to know if I'd like it at a 10% discount, purchased off of eBay, no PayPal. He's still getting his price, really, it's eBay that's losing out. I go over the reasons why I think the cover is overpriced -- the series ended before it was published, other covers by the same artist went for less -- but he won't budge. He paid that same price for the piece before the series was cancelled and refuses to lose money. I get it. It's his, he can do as he likes.

From that point on, I watched out of curiosity, just to see if he'd ever find his buyer. I never saw it sell, but it's off of eBay now, so who knows?

So, from what I'm gathering here, all of the reasons boil down to "I'm cheap," "I'm greedy," or "I'm lazy."

I kind of had sussed out that on my own. But I thought that, perhaps, there was other legit reasoning for it. Something I was missing or just wasn't in my purview. So, I suppose that I should just consider the fact that there isn't any legit reasoning beyond that? Cool. Thanks for the assist everyone. I appreciate it. :)

Or, in a more generous way to view things, "I don't want to overpay", "I'd love to find a deal", or "The technology's here, I'll use it for my own purposes". You're sounding pretty grumpy here, MM. Too many watchers, not enough bidders for your items?

I think the real question should be

"Do you think if people are watching my items (showing interest) but not actually purchasing my items (showing that they may not be priced correctly for the market) do you think I should lower my prices?"

Which, while similar to

"Do you think if people don't buy my stuff, they are stupid, greedy or lazy?"

Is probably a better question, all in all.

Or, in a more generous way to view things, "I don't want to overpay", "I'd love to find a deal", or "The technology's here, I'll use it for my own purposes". You're sounding pretty grumpy here, MM. Too many watchers, not enough bidders for your items?

Nope, just trying to understand why I get plenty of watchers, but fewer bidders. I know it's not the prices, because they are very fair. And I know it's not the fear of fakes, as everyone knows I rep for actual artists. So, I'm just trying to understand why they watch and never bid. And it seems the reasoning I sussed out is basically why. I just thought there might be more, or something I was missing, but there doesn't seem to be.

I think the real question should be

"Do you think if people are watching my items (showing interest) but not actually purchasing my items (showing that they may not be priced correctly for the market) do you think I should lower my prices?"

Which, while similar to

"Do you think if people don't buy my stuff, they are stupid, greedy or lazy?"

Is probably a better question, all in all.

Well, it can't be the prices, because I'm probably one of the most fair and reasonable people you'll find on that. There's no overpricing done on my stuff. So, there's no reason to lower them. If that's what they are waiting for, they will wait in vain forever.

Oh, and I never called anyone stupid. I said the reasoning for all the watchers who never pull the trigger seems to come down to being "greedy, lazy, or cheap!" And again, going with your question, it would suggest that it is, in fact, the last reason I stated. Which pretty much confirms the reasons I sussed out on my own. I was just wondering if there was something more, but there doesn't seem to be, given the response I've seen here. So, again, thanks to everyone for the input. It has been appreciated. :)

On one occasion I was watching a piece of art along with 18 others. The auction came to a close with no bids. When the item was resisted a short while later, the seller added a little note to the description.

Something like, " I know there are a lot of watchers. Why not make me an offer". So I did, and I have had the art ever since.

To explain this phenomenon of watchers, I recently heard about a study that talked about the proliferation and popularity of diy (do it yourself) and cooking shows. Seems even with large audiences consuming this stuff, they are not actually doing any of the stuff in the shows. They are watchers, not doers and sadly that's becoming our society.

To explain this phenomenon of watchers, I recently heard about a study that talked about the proliferation and popularity of diy (do it yourself) and cooking shows. Seems even with large audiences consuming this stuff, they are not actually doing any of the stuff in the shows. They are watchers, not doers and sadly that's becoming our society.

I'll tell you this, I'm not into reality TV. But there are a couple that I've watched regularly:

* Storage Wars , Auction Hunters - It's the collector in me and they're fun to watch. So I might be a do-er.

* Bar Rescue - It's formulaic. But I think it interesting to see how different issues are resolved. And yes, some of those resolutions are also formulaic. Anyway, the thing is, I only have a drink maybe once or twice a year. So I'm definitely not a do-er as far as bars go.

Sometimes I will watch a page just to remind myself after the page ends to see if they put up a better example from the artist in the following weeks.

A lot of people will do the tried and true put up the weakest art 1st and then ramp up what they're selling over time.

Rather than following the seller, which i'll get a bunch of spam for the rest of my life for, i'll just follow a page and then a week or so later after it ended, note the hammer price and see if there's now a better page available.

So, in summary, this thread can be boiled down to ‘My prices are awesome, anyone who watches my auctions but doesn’t buy is cheap, greedy, lazy, and/or moronic’ … that’s how it sounds. SMH

If that's how one wants to take it, that's up to them. It isn't what I said, though. (shrug)

So, in summary, this thread can be boiled down to ‘My prices are awesome, anyone who watches my auctions but doesn’t buy is cheap, greedy, lazy, and/or moronic’ … that’s how it sounds. SMH

If that's how one wants to take it, that's up to them. It isn't what I said, though. (shrug)

"Well, it can't be the prices, because I'm probably one of the most fair and reasonable people you'll find on that. There's no overpricing done on my stuff. So, there's no reason to lower them. "

"So, from what I'm gathering here, all of the reasons boil down to "I'm cheap," "I'm greedy," or "I'm lazy."

"Well, it can't be the prices, because I'm probably one of the most fair and reasonable people you'll find on that. There's no overpricing done on my stuff. So, there's no reason to lower them. "

"So, from what I'm gathering here, all of the reasons boil down to "I'm cheap," "I'm greedy," or "I'm lazy."

Yes, I said my prices are "fair," not "awesome."

And I saw you cut off the rest of the second quote. Nice taking it out of context. But, like I said, if people want to take it that way, it's up to them. No skin off my nose, if you want to be offended. (shrug)

. . . just trying to understand why I get plenty of watchers, but fewer bidders. I know it's not the prices, because they are very fair. And I know it's not the fear of fakes, as everyone knows I rep for actual artists.

As an idea . . . why don't you list (on this thread) examples of stuff you've been trying to move on eBay, together with price ranges?

That way, other collectors here (of the types of art you're offering) might be able to either confirm your prices are (as you claim) 'fair' . . . or suggest otherwise?

Such feedback might prove useful to you and help put to bed that part of the equation? (shrug)

2c

. . . just trying to understand why I get plenty of watchers, but fewer bidders. I know it's not the prices, because they are very fair. And I know it's not the fear of fakes, as everyone knows I rep for actual artists.

As an idea . . . why don't you list (on this thread) examples of stuff you've been trying to move on eBay, together with price ranges?

That way, other collectors here (of the types of art you're offering) might be able to either confirm your prices are (as you claim) 'fair' . . . or suggest otherwise?

Such feedback might prove useful to you and help put to bed that part of the equation? (shrug)

2c

I've posted my listings in the marketplace section here many times. People should be familiar with them at this point.

But if people want to see them, okay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=191225202282&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_sop=1&rmvSB=true&hash=item2c85e9066a&afsrc=1&_ssn=whatwhatwhat06

Sorry, I don't follow your listings and was unaware.

No biggie. It is what it is. C'est la Vie.

Anyways, thanks for the link. Maybe others will now chime in on matters of pricing? (shrug)

Oh, I'm sure they will. But will the assessment be as "fair" as the prices? Given the attitude I'm seeing here, I am not so certain. But, wherever. Still no skin off my nose. (shrug)