• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't you just hate being two seconds too late! Ugg

240 posts in this topic

I hope some of you don't get nose bleeds being so high up on your horse. Mistakes are made all the time on eBay. I won a Superman #20 about a year ago on a bin for a$19.99. The seller probably got info and backed out on the deal. I didn't raise a stink or feel jilted because I already knew it was too good to be true.

I can understand your point about the seller, but the seller also has the responsibility to research his market before he lists something. Ebay is a place where we look for deals, and most of the seller's are savvy people. You don't learn to be savvy without doing research or knowing the market. I don't know what the correct answer is to this...but in a perfect world we would all pay more. It is not a perfect world though, and we relish finding deals, sometimes at the expense of an ignorant seller. It's sad...

I hope some of you don't get nose bleeds being so high up on your horse.

Ironic.

You do realize that your title for this thread, along with your subsequent action of emailing the seller to cancel, makes you sound like a total hypocrite?

I just messaged the seller and suggested to cancel the deal, and re-list the pre-code individually. Let's see if he wakes up...

I did the same. Of course if I had been two seconds sooner I wouldn't have ;)

I'm sorry, maybe I'm in the minority here, but why would you try to sabatoge an eBay auction that was won fair and square? I wasn't a participant in this item, but it just seems pretty spiteful to me

(shrug)

Guess I'll go get off my soapbox now

I would agree. Anyone that was Jealous and went and tried to sabatoge the deal is a baby cry cry.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm in the minority here, but why would you try to sabatoge an eBay auction that was won fair and square? I wasn't a participant in this item, but it just seems pretty spiteful to me

(shrug)

Guess I'll go get off my soapbox now

I'm with you. Cancelling the auction means he's reneging on a deal he's initiated and accepted.

OK boys, pile on me; ain't the first time and sure as hell won't be the last.

I am all for someone bagging a $300 book for $100 and flipping it. But the poor schmuck who offered these books had no idea that he was giving away $1000+ for 75 bucks.

I simply told him what the potential value was, and suggested cancelling. He'll do whatever he wants to.

And of course none of you have ever made an honest mistake, and then backed off... :eyeroll:

I'll pick classic back out of deal response #13 -oops I'm sorry I seem to have misplaced them.

Congratulations to the winner of the auction. Hope he gets to see some integrity from the seller and get a nice pile of comics.

I also think its a *spoon* move to try to derail anyone else's deal

Totally agree - what a move.

Some people are so myopic and so selfish they just have to interject themselves into such situations. :facepalm:

+1

Ironic.

You do realize that your title for this thread, along with your subsequent action of emailing the seller to cancel, makes you sound like a total hypocrite?

I just messaged the seller and suggested to cancel the deal, and re-list the pre-code individually. Let's see if he wakes up...

Whoever said I told him to cancel? I never did you just assumed because your high and mighty. "I did the same' meant I sent a message as well. I informed him he missed an opportunity on the books and in the future to put some more research into them. Never to cancel. Would I if I had won. No. That's me being honest. I'm not a hypocrite I'm just being honest to myself. Had I won and the seller cancelled? Would be unfortunate but I would understand. I bet everyone here would cancel a sell if they had made a mistake in pricing although this particular seller made an ignorant mistake.

So you have no problem taking deals for yourself, but spoiling it for others is fair game if you are late?

The two of you messaging the seller is such an absolute move.

So you have no problem taking deals for yourself, but spoiling it for others is fair game if you are late?

The two of you messaging the seller is such an absolute move.

+1

So if he backs out and now offers you the comics are you paying $1500 and saving the day?

These threads are always interesting. Another similar situation arose not long back with 5 BA Star Wars 1 .35 variants selling for $300 on the bay. Of course the seller was tipped off, certainly by one or more boardies and cancelled the deal and took a neg.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=453317&fpart=226

If I were the buyer I would have waited to receive the books (on the slim chance someone did not interject prior to shipping) then kicked the guy some extra dough after the fact. I have done this before and it made me feel good as well as the seller. I know there are strong opinions both ways on this and can see both sides of the argument.

For the most part i feel if the guy is selling something for $75 and is happy with getting that amount and it sold for that amount anyone who jumps in after the fact because they missed out is just well, sour grapes.

Sometimes this comic thing can be downright cutthroat.

Seems to me we just had a poll regarding this very issue.....

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=33&Number=9594438&Searchpage=1&Main=417796&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post9594438

The vast majority of people felt it was unethical to back out of a done deal.

Seems to me the seller put these up with a "buy it now" price that he/she was happy with. The buyer was obviously also happy with this price. Done deal.

This is NOT someone going into an old widow's house and offering her pennies on the dollar for her late husband's collection.

Ironic.

Whoever said I told him to cancel? I never did you just assumed because your high and mighty. "I did the same' meant I sent a message as well. I informed him he missed an opportunity on the books and in the future to put some more research into them. Never to cancel. Would I if I had won. No. That's me being honest. I'm not a hypocrite I'm just being honest to myself. Had I won and the seller cancelled? Would be unfortunate but I would understand. I bet everyone here would cancel a sell if they had made a mistake in pricing although this particular seller made an ignorant mistake.

My eBay lister, who is very good, put up a $250 monster mag for $25. It sold within seconds. I contacted the seller and explained. He said, deals a deal. I told him congrats and sent him the book So no not everyone would

We've had this thing come up a couple of times in sales threads on the boards where someone has listed something well below market, a bunch of people have commented in the thread about how low the price was ... and the seller backed out of the deal.

Four or five years ago I posted the :takeit: on a book, several people followed up with posts along the lines of "What a screaming deal that was!" and the seller PM'd me that he had meant to list the book at $550 (or whatever it was), not the $250 (or whatever) he actually had. Total BS, but I let him ignore my :takeit: and edit his offering price. If he was willing to sell his integrity for a few hundred bucks, I wasn't going to stop him.

Wrt the eBay sale, the seller had the responsibility to either check completed eBay listings or other Web sources of info on comic prices or sell the books in an auction and let the market decide.

I can't imagine contacting the seller to give him the advice that he should violate his agreement with eBay by canceling the deal for a spurious reason.

Ironic.

Only a seller completely lacking integrity would cancel a sale because he found out he had priced something too low. If there was a clerical error, sure--for instance if he meant to list them at $750 and missed a zero--but I doubt that's the case here.

Since I’m not involved I can’t know the specifics as to the seller/buyer situations. But of course that doesn’t stop me from speculating for fun :D .

Just perhaps the seller himself acquired the whole lot for $10 from someone and felt perfectly satisfied with a quick flip for $75? The buyer? I imagine he was clicking his heels after 100’s of hours scouring eBay several times a day over the years, carefully watching his limited budget for a good deal, trying to navigate flawlessly between the fake listing scammers, over graders, hidden damage postings and ignoring the thousands of overpriced listings, just to have...

A high station in life is earned by the gallantry with which appalling experiences are survived with grace.” - Tennessee Williams