• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't you just hate being two seconds too late! Ugg

240 posts in this topic

OK boys, pile on me; ain't the first time and sure as hell won't be the last.

I am all for someone bagging a $300 book for $100 and flipping it. But the poor schmuck who offered these books had no idea that he was giving away $1000+ for 75 bucks.

I simply told him what the potential value was, and suggested cancelling. He'll do whatever he wants to.

And of course none of you have ever made an honest mistake, and then backed off... :eyeroll:

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

Where between 8% and 33% do you deem it to be unacceptable?

I see $10.00 books being sold by dealers for .75 cents all the time.

I am all for someone bagging a $300 book for $100 and flipping it. But the poor schmuck who offered these books had no idea that he was giving away $1000+ for 75 bucks.

I simply told him what the potential value was, and suggested cancelling. He'll do whatever he wants to.

And of course none of you have ever made an honest mistake, and then backed off... :eyeroll:

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

Oh the humanity!!! Only an angel can make this right.

List those poor unfortunate souls here so fifties can call them and straighten them out!

Did either of the two who contacted the seller get a reply from him?

I did get a reply from him. He thanked me for educating him on the books and he would do his research from now on. I never told him to cancel the deal. I of course told him he could always go to me first if he got any more books in the future for a more fair deal. He had no intention of backing out of the deal in my opinion and took the lesson. I hate I missed out on the books like everyone else here but no sour grapes as most here suggest. That's the breaks in this hobby. I don't condone fifties either, though and think we are both being treated harshly. A deal is a deal and education is paramount and I am sure the seller has opened his eyes from the both of us. I also wouldn't go nuts if the seller did cancel because everyone's situation is different. That $1000 lost could be life changing to most but not here it seems where we drop money on funny books like it doesn't matter.

Oh, of course, YOU will be much more honest. I'm sure you are more concerned with this seller's "life changing situation" than the rest of us. How much or how little people spend their money really is of no concern to you. Get off your high horse.

I've probably said WAY to much in this thread. It's like a car wreck. You don't want to look, but you just have to. Done with it. I think I'd better go over to the Halloween cover thread or go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Bravo to the seller for honoring the sale.

I agree with you. Peter.

I find it unfortunate that we are in a world where we need to give Kudos to a seller for honoring their deal. This is the world, however, we live in and so I too say bravo to the seller!

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

I've seen a10-cent book sell for more than $3 million. :o

When we will stop trying to take advantage of each other and learn to just get along? :cry:

I would suggest contacting the seller and asking for buyer id. Just let him know there were a few books on there you were looking for. Wait 3-4 days to do it so the books are likely shipped.

Then see if the buyer wants to flip some of the books.

That is the better way to do it. I've done this a few times and had success once.

Jeeze, really Rick? I guess I'm not real surprised. Just let 'em go and move on. Books come up for sale every day. More than I can even hope to buy. Calm down brother, you just can't have them all.

I thought you had already bought them all. hm

Haha. Not all of them yet, but that is The plan.

All I am saying is I have seen books I wanted sell cheap. I noted it and a few days later contacted the seller to ask for the buyer ID because I was interested in the books. Nothing even close to ethically wrong in that. Sometimes I have found buyers who bought them with no comic love but just to make a few bucks which they did from me.

Did either of the two who contacted the seller get a reply from him?

I did get a reply from him. He thanked me for educating him on the books and he would do his research from now on. I never told him to cancel the deal. I of course told him he could always go to me first if he got any more books in the future for a more fair deal. He had no intention of backing out of the deal in my opinion and took the lesson. I hate I missed out on the books like everyone else here but no sour grapes as most here suggest. That's the breaks in this hobby. I don't condone fifties either, though and think we are both being treated harshly. A deal is a deal and education is paramount and I am sure the seller has opened his eyes from the both of us. I also wouldn't go nuts if the seller did cancel because everyone's situation is different. That $1000 lost could be life changing to most but not here it seems where we drop money on funny books like it doesn't matter.

Oh, of course, YOU will be much more honest. I'm sure you are more concerned with this seller's "life changing situation" than the rest of us. How much or how little people spend their money really is of no concern to you. Get off your high horse.

I've probably said WAY to much in this thread. It's like a car wreck. You don't want to look, but you just have to. Done with it. I think I'd better go over to the Halloween cover thread or go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Thank you Robot! Someone had to say it :foryou:

IIRC, fifties has repeatedly lamented the fact that he's an old-timey collector who's just happy to get books in any shape, but can't afford to keep up with the market. Now when someone prices low-grade books at a price that all collectors can afford he gets upset because they should have been priced higher and tries to undermine the collector who got a decent deal. That's just plain old petty jealousy.

Glad to see that you are totally missing the point. :eyeroll: My impetus was simply to enlighten the seller about what size loss he might be taking. It had nothing to do with the buyer. Jealousy? Ha ha, I've got damn near all the books he was selling.

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

Another miss. In this case it wasn't the percentage, but rather the total amount. Unacceptable? Not really, I would rather classify it as unfortunate for the uninformed seller.

I just messaged the seller and suggested to cancel the deal, and re-list the pre-code individually. Let's see if he wakes up...

I did the same. Of course if I had been two seconds sooner I wouldn't have ;)

So you have no problem taking deals for yourself, but spoiling it for others is fair game if you are late?

The two of you messaging the seller is such an absolute move.

I could not agree more.

It really shows what you are up against when so called 'upstanding' members of this hobby would descend to this level just because for once, someone (but not them) actually lucked out on ebay.

I would have missed it regardless, so there was no emotion involved.

Amazing to see that the upstanding members here are all against someone occasionally trying to enlighten a seller who might obviously not be a collector, especially if he is about to take a big hit on a sale.

And AFA suggesting cancelling the sale; you all know that any deal this sweet is subject to cancellation. If I had been the buyer, I almost would have expected a message from the seller the next day, refunding my payment and explaining that there was a problem with the listing.

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

I've seen a10-cent book sell for more than $3 million. :o

When we will stop trying to take advantage of each other and learn to just get along? :cry:

I'm down for that. Peace in the forum. All love.

Well, I WAS the "lucky" buyer .... :shy:

But the seller just contacted me to say they need to cancel the sale. It seems that her sister has "already sold" the books and she didn't know it .... :facepalm:

I can only assume that she was scared off by certain buttinskis who are SO rude that they see nothing wrong with interfering with someone else's deal.

Unfortunately this is not the first time something like this has happened. Even at the local flea markets I go to on weekends, if I pick up some things to buy often someone will marvel at them, one even told the dealer "you priced these too low" before I could even make a deal.

Dew-schnozzles.

IIRC, fifties has repeatedly lamented the fact that he's an old-timey collector who's just happy to get books in any shape, but can't afford to keep up with the market. Now when someone prices low-grade books at a price that all collectors can afford he gets upset because they should have been priced higher and tries to undermine the collector who got a decent deal. That's just plain old petty jealousy.

Glad to see that you are totally missing the point. :eyeroll: My impetus was simply to enlighten the seller about what size loss he might be taking. It had nothing to do with the buyer. Jealousy? Ha ha, I've got damn near all the books he was selling.

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

Another miss. In this case it wasn't the percentage, but rather the total amount. Unacceptable? Not really, I would rather classify it as unfortunate for the uninformed seller.

I just messaged the seller and suggested to cancel the deal, and re-list the pre-code individually. Let's see if he wakes up...

So you have no problem taking deals for yourself, but spoiling it for others is fair game if you are late?

I could not agree more.

It really shows what you are up against when so called 'upstanding' members of this hobby would descend to this level just because for once, someone (but not them) actually lucked out on ebay.

Amazing to see that the upstanding members here are all against someone occasionally trying to enlighten a seller who might obviously not be a collector, especially if he is about to take a big hit on a sale.

And AFA suggesting cancelling the sale; you all know that any deal this sweet is subject to cancellation. If I had been the buyer, I almost would have expected a message from the seller the next day, refunding my payment and explaining that there was a problem with the listing.

Nah. You're petty and jealous. Not jealous of the books, but jealous of someone else's good fortune. Stay miserable.

Ah, now I get it: We should all expect to be cheated on eBay, so, what the heck, may as well contact this seller and advise him to cheat his buyer.

Well, I WAS the "lucky" buyer

I can only assume that she was scared off by certain buttinskis who are SO rude that they see nothing wrong with interfering with someone else's deal.

Dew-schnozzles.

Are you going to PP in Fifties gas Tank?

But the seller just contacted me to say they need to cancel the sale. It seems that her sister has "already sold" the books and she didn't know it .... :facepalm:

Unfortunately this is not the first time something like this has happened. Even at the local flea markets I go to on weekends, if I pick up some things to buy often someone will marvel at them, one even told the dealer "you priced these too low" before I could even make a deal.

Dew-schnozzles.

:eek:

You are handling this better than I would.

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

I could not agree more.

Fifties, why do you say "unfortunate" or why "loss"? Maybe the seller priced them to what he felt was a nice profit? I clearly have no skin in this game, I am just a small fry collector and mean you no ill will. Seems your heart is in the right place. I guess I just don't get injecting myself into a private two party deal between two adults with plenty of eBay experience. Putting myself in the buyer's position, I'd potentially be penalized for just hitting BIN in good faith? Unless this was the sellers sole inheritance, If someone was "done wrong" here it might have been done innocently by the seller when he acquired them in the first place?

Dew-schnozzles.

:eek:

You are handling this better than I would.

Don't know what else I can do? ???