• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you pay for this dealer overstock?

142 posts in this topic

as someone who does primarily online sales, I wouldn't touch this with a 50 ft pole.

I'd spend the next decade relisting these on eBay. Without keys, you need to have the patience to sit on these and wait.

I do like the strategy of taking just the keys and offering that amount. This might be only 10 books out of the lot (based on the pics shown), pull out the remainder that you think you can fairly easily sell at a show or two, then bulk wholesale the rest to get rid of them.

When I'm out meeting sellers/considering buying small collections, I wouldn't touch anything that I couldn't sell

This seems overly pessimistic. True, condition may make this assumption incorrect, but there seem to be about 100 total Spiderman (all the stuff pre-160s let's say and maybe a few above), X-Men (all the stuff 143 and earlier), and Avengers books (less clear what issues in there) alone that would sell individually via auction or in not too long via store listing if priced right (I dunno, $4/5.99-$9.99 or so opening bids). I find that if you list 30 or 40 of the same title at a given time you have a better chance of making multiple sales. I agree, listing a $5.99 auction is a PITA, but if you are using free listings and/or doing like 100 at a time, it's pretty robotic.

Agree though that the last two boxes of x-men likely don't have many solo books in them, probably need to sell them as 5-10 issue lots. same with a lot of the other titles.

Anyway, I'd be curious what I could sell a group like that for, the problem is people would want to look at it and I don't want people in my house. easier for a store owner.

I guess it depends on how hungry you are for inventory.

I recently found a weekly auction that will take 100 comics and sell them in two lots of 50. Seeding a couple Fine BA books with 80s Drek, I have now sold four lots(200 books) for $185. Unfortunately, they get 35% and limit it to two lots.

Good thing is this will give me beer money for as long as the auction exists. Bad thing is I usually spend ten times what I sell.

as someone who does primarily online sales, I wouldn't touch this with a 50 ft pole.

I'd spend the next decade relisting these on eBay. Without keys, you need to have the patience to sit on these and wait.

I do like the strategy of taking just the keys and offering that amount. This might be only 10 books out of the lot (based on the pics shown), pull out the remainder that you think you can fairly easily sell at a show or two, then bulk wholesale the rest to get rid of them.

When I'm out meeting sellers/considering buying small collections, I wouldn't touch anything that I couldn't sell

This seems overly pessimistic. True, condition may make this assumption incorrect, but there seem to be about 100 total Spiderman (all the stuff pre-160s let's say and maybe a few above), X-Men (all the stuff 143 and earlier), and Avengers books (less clear what issues in there) alone that would sell individually via auction or in not too long via store listing if priced right (I dunno, $4/5.99-$9.99 or so opening bids). I find that if you list 30 or 40 of the same title at a given time you have a better chance of making multiple sales. I agree, listing a $5.99 auction is a PITA, but if you are using free listings and/or doing like 100 at a time, it's pretty robotic.

Agree though that the last two boxes of x-men likely don't have many solo books in them, probably need to sell them as 5-10 issue lots. same with a lot of the other titles.

Anyway, I'd be curious what I could sell a group like that for, the problem is people would want to look at it and I don't want people in my house. easier for a store owner.

I guess it depends on how hungry you are for inventory.

perhaps it's pessimistic but it's just not worth my time to buy books at $1 and sell them for $2 or $5 since I'm exclusively selling online. If there were some bigger keys (i.e. $100 - $200 books), then for sure I'd consider it. I can sell those easily and bulk sell the rest.

but, with the listing, packing, shipping, etc...and no key books, it just isn't feasible

All keys and most semi keys have been picked out...

What about future keys? In this nutty movie-hype era, EVERY comic book has the potential to be a "key" for 15 minutes...

Back in 2009 or so, I bought 6-7 long-white boxes of BA & CA books from a collection which contained approximately 200 long-white boxes. They were stacked floor-to-ceiling in a residential garage, and it was literally impossible to look through them all without a forklift.

I paid around $100 for the cherry-picked stuff I took from the boxes I could access, and--after 3 years of working it--finally sold everything through various sources.

My profit was around $3500...it was the world's worst paying "part time" job. But I had fun, and kept a bunch of books for myself.

But...I also left ~ 194 boxes of BA and CA books behind, which I could have bought for $500.

Yep.

I live in a '50s-era duplex, and had no room for them. So I passed.

And then the Avengers movie came out, Thanos appeared at the end, and the hobby went MOVIE KEY CRAZY!

How many "future keys" did I leave behind in 2009? Plenty...including multiple copies of Hulk 271. Who would ever want that rubbish?

:cry:

I don't think I've seen one person talk about buying this to keep. Anyone on here buy these type of lots for themselves? As a collector, I wouldn't expect to pay any less than $2 a piece for a lot like this; although around my area you don't find this kind of thing.

I don't think I've seen one person talk about buying this to keep. Anyone on here buy these type of lots for themselves? As a collector, I wouldn't expect to pay any less than $2 a piece for a lot like this; although around my area you don't find this kind of thing.

I forgot about the collectors in all the discussions. I'd think this batch would be a really tough sell to one (or even a few) collectors unless you got extremely lucky and found someone wanting to start up a Spider-man or X-Men collection and needed a bunch of copies. From a collector's standpoint I think this would be a steal at $3,000. Heck - I think I paid $3 a piece way back in the mid 80s for some of the after Byrne X-Men issues.

I forgot about the collectors in all the discussions. I'd think this batch would be a really tough sell to one (or even a few) collectors unless you got extremely lucky and found someone wanting to start up a Spider-man or X-Men collection and needed a bunch of copies. From a collector's standpoint I think this would be a steal at $3,000. Heck - I think I paid $3 a piece way back in the mid 80s for some of the after Byrne X-Men issues.

I would have all of those ASMs and most of the X-Men books. But I have very few Avengers, FF, Daredevil. I would be happy to be able to buy that collection for a price I could sell what I did already have where in the end I'd only be paying about $1/book for what I kept.

I'd put anticipated sales in the range of $4,000 (with a bit of time invested) which is pretty much what he wants for them. Is $1,700 profits (before fees) worth it?

I'd rather take a job, paying $10 an hour, where people come up and kick me in the nuts all day. In a month I'd make the same money as you'll profit off of these books but at least I know I'd be done in 30 days. You'll be getting kicked in the nuts for a few years with these books.

You're hired & start tomorrow.

I'd put anticipated sales in the range of $4,000 (with a bit of time invested) which is pretty much what he wants for them. Is $1,700 profits (before fees) worth it?

I'd rather take a job, paying $10 an hour, where people come up and kick me in the nuts all day. In a month I'd make the same money as you'll profit off of these books but at least I know I'd be done in 30 days. You'll be getting kicked in the nuts for a few years with these books.

You're hired & start tomorrow.

I'll be your unpaid intern who does the kicking.

As a collector (clearly I'm doing a lousy job of buying and flipping as I have about 25,000 comics), many of us already have many of these books. Like the 3 or so boxes of x-men. I have all of them other than maybe a couple of the byrne x-men. I have 2 copies of almost all of them and 3 copies of most of them. Ditto most of the Spidermen, Marvel Team-Up, etc etc. And there are a lot of reprint books in there, which I do sometimes buy, true, but I have to have a good reason.

So yes, as I noted in another post, this looks like a lot of solid $2 box books, with some $1 boxers, and some $5-$15 boxers tossed in (depending on condition), but when you are buying like that you can pick and choose what you want. You may go through 15 long boxes of $2 books and get the 25 you really want. Here, as a collector, you'd be getting a chunk of stuff that might not excite you. As a seller you can't be paying close to what you might be selling them for. Buying that group for $4000 and selling it piecemeal, after a lot of effort and time, for $5,000, is probably not worth it, and you are locking up $4,000 that could have gone to a better opportunity later.

Last collection I bought was 285+ boxes at less than half what your guy wants for his approx 7 long boxes.

Walk away from that deal Chip...there are better deals to be had.

And yes... there is one full long box of X-Force # 1 in there... which now sell nicely at $1 each lol

IMG_20160929_123954364_zps6d2ngtjr.jpg

IMG_20160929_124041696_zpsw2uue5zg.jpg

Last collection I bought was 285+ boxes at less than half what your guy wants for his approx 7 long boxes.

And yes... there is one full long box of X-Force # 1 in there... which now sell nicely at $1 each lol

IMG_20160929_123954364_zps6d2ngtjr.jpg

IMG_20160929_124041696_zpsw2uue5zg.jpg

:o

First time weighing in here, and I'm glad the general sentiment seems to have shifted since page 1.

I wouldn't go higher than $1,600 for the lot. Hell, I probably would cap out at $1,400 (which I reckon is $100/short box).

It's already picked over (at least once, if not twice).

And as someone who has bought several of those types of collections in the past _and_ been saddled with the reality of how time-consuming and maddeningly difficult it is to sell them without a pre-existing infrastructure (noting I'm not a dealer and haven't set up at a convention in 15 years) -- I'd be more likely to pass entirely and put that money into stocks.

At least there, the total transaction time is seconds, vs. the 50-200 hours it would take to sell these. And the tax write-off on losses is better than anything you'd get for donating the bottom 30% of these.

Thanks for the advice, my friend. However, this thread wasn't my rodeo, it was Andrew's. :)

I'm out of the selling game.

That's a monster collection you purchased, though! Wow!

Thanks for the advice, my friend. However, this thread wasn't my rodeo, it was Andrew's. :)

I'm out of the selling game.

That's a monster collection you purchased, though! Wow!

Sorry Chip... I meant Andrew ;)

1Cool just screams Chip cause of the "C" there lol

xxx ooo

Rupp