• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF1 stolen from safe

54 posts in this topic

The higher the better for insurance purposes, I guess.

+1. Will let u know if I get offered an FF #1 at this weekend's big 100 table comicon in East :devil: Vancouver.

Personally, I know of at least 3 decent copies of FF #1 in East Vancouver:

1. Bank mgr collection

2. 2 French brother's collection

3. HH SA/GA run collector

Sorry if this is an off-subject but related.

I was at Chicago WW show last August and talked with one of Comic4less employees. He said the insurance company won't cover their loss. The stolen property was about $25,000. The insurance company will cover $50,000+ stolen/loss property.

The insurance policy is sometimes a sticky situation. You'd better do the research on the insurance companies before you decide.

I was at Chicago WW show last August and talked with one of Comic4less employees. He said the insurance company won't cover their loss. The stolen property was about $25,000. The insurance company will cover $50,000+ stolen/loss property.

The insurance policy is sometimes a sticky situation. You'd better do the research on the insurance companies before you decide.

That sounds like a terrible insurance policy! Why have a policy like that?

I would either have 1) a good safe or 2) insurance policy for valuable comics. Or both. I got a quote from American Collectors a few weeks ago. On my top 5 CGC books, they only were willing to insure the comics at 80% of what I reported from GPA. :screwy:

100 lb safe don't seem all that safe. I mean can't most anyone pick that up with some effort. Now I would think 2-3 hundred pounds is safer. You would have to crack that on location.
Many fire safes have a completely worthless lock on them. I had a coin collection in one that I hadn't looked at in a decade. Silver spiked and I was ready to sell it, couldn't find the key anywhere. I thought I was going to have to drill through the safe or something. Got online to see if I could order a replacement key with any of the identifying marks on the outside of the safe and stumbled upon a video of a 12 year old kid picking the lock of the exact safe I had with a paper clip in about 30 seconds. So I got a paper clip and tried it out and it opened right up. Got my coins out and sold them. Still have the safe, still don't have a key. I'd probably only buy a higher priced safe with a combination lock these days. Gun safes seem to provide a lot of bang for your buck. $400 can get you one large enough to store pretty much all the valuables and documents you could scrounge up, it bolts to the floor, and it has a pretty tamper proof vault safe.

Would like to know which company this is

Must have been a misunderstanding in this conversation. The loss was greater than $50K and he was insured for more than what was stolen. Thing is if the books had been stolen at a show or out of a vehicle while transporting the loss would have been covered for full amount.

If you have a theft at the address that coverage is active you are only covered for $50K max unless you have a central alarm system tied to a call station. If you have the alarm system then you are covered for your max coverage in theft.

If you don't have an alarm system and have $300K insurance you are only covered for $50K in the event of theft. If you had a fire or flood etc then you would be covered for $300K. Just not theft.

Since the theft some books have been recovered and the thief has been caught. The thief was not an employee or related to any employee nor was it an inside job. Just a dirt bag who had stolen comics in the past.

Thanks for the link. Interesting to learn about what other books were stolen. So they say $10,000 approx value was inside the safe? That ruled out whatever the FF1 is a high grade at least.

That's so sad to hear about yet another robbery.

Here's another tip....I use an EATON Pow-R-Line 1a panelboard tub and trim for my "safe"....no interior electrical guts in it.

The tub itself is 72" high x 28" wide, it's only 6" deep but after placing some narrow shelving inside, it actually holds quite a bit of stuff, could be used as a gun cabinet as well.

The trim has a lockable door on it.

I added a short run of #8 Teck cable out the top of it into the ceiling so that any criminal would think it's just an electrical panel.

A small update was posted with more details on the theft, for anyone interested.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/stolen-comic-book-fantastic-four-vancouver-1.3813440

thanks for the link

Another useless article. No description of the books at all.

There are probably 100's of FF #1's in the Vancouver area.

That's so sad to hear about yet another robbery.

Here's another tip....I use an EATON Pow-R-Line 1a panelboard tub and trim for my "safe"....no interior electrical guts in it.

The tub itself is 72" high x 28" wide, it's only 6" deep but after placing some narrow shelving inside, it actually holds quite a bit of stuff, could be used as a gun cabinet as well.

The trim has a lockable door on it.

I added a short run of #8 Teck cable out the top of it into the ceiling so that any criminal would think it's just an electrical panel.

that is a good trick. no one will think of this one, most often will ignore this panel passing by. I remembered years ago when I was little, and I was in my old family house. next door to me, a neighbour (Italian family and was great people) had a secret small room with a hidden door behind the bookcase in the basement. He had shown me that room, and it was awesome with what he had in there! with the door closed, the bookcase become whole with its other sections on the wall.

so, it doesn't always HAVE to be a safe to storage your comic books or stuff.

Exactly. My gun safe is about 1200 pounds, and it's anchored to the floor with 6" lag bolts. If somebody gets it out of the house, I'd be more impressed than upset.

+1

Mine is sitting on a 3/4" plywood template so it is slightly elevated off the floor. I have Red Hook concrete anchors in the floor, with the safe bolted down on the anchors into the concrete. They'd have to blow it with C - 4. but their biggest worry would be if I catch them in the house.

Thanks for the link. Interesting to learn about what other books were stolen. So they say $10,000 approx value was inside the safe? That ruled out whatever the FF1 is a high grade at least.

I trust what Pat said. He knows his stuff of course and he described the collection in the first article as being worth tens of thousands.

I'm guessing this reporter picked up on that but lost the plurality of the five figure amount in translation. Bottom line is Pat would know

A small update was posted with more details on the theft, for anyone interested.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/stolen-comic-book-fantastic-four-vancouver-1.3813440

thanks for the link

Another useless article. No description of the books at all.

There are probably 100's of FF #1's in the Vancouver area.

Totally useless I agree. I would say that no way are there hundreds of FF1's here, but dozens certainly. If you figure greater Vancouver as 1.5-2m that's .005 of US and Canada put together... if there were 200 ff1s here that would correspond to 40,000 overall in US and Canada... muc too an estimate IMO .. But I get your point. Zero info in that article