• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Collecting Icons: An Open Question

69 posts in this topic

Is this Hall of Fame looking at collectors who buy or for dealers who sell? I almost want to say, it should be about passionate collectors, not guys who throw money into the hobby and stick price tags on the books they want to flip.

That seems more iconic to the hobby. Unfortunately, many are black hole collectors that you find out about postamously when their heirs sell off their possessions of passion, and maybe Heritage puts a spotlight auction for them by name and recognition

There can be a separate wing for dealers who have great inventory, fair pricing and gracious personalities.

Don & Maggie Thompson

Roy Thomas

Susan Cicconi

Chuck Rozanski

Jerry Wiest

Mark Evanier

Bob Overstreet

Bill Gaines

Ron Turner

Denis Kitchen

Bob Beerbohm

Ian Levine

:shy:

All great picks. Who would you consider CGC boards greatest collecting icons?

My picks

Greggy

Comicdonna

Nearmint

GAtor

Bounty coder

Thirdgreenham

Bronze age fan

Makmorn

1koko

Jordysnordy

Junkdrawer

Bedrock

Cimm

I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, but these are my first thoughts.

Ghost Town

Don & Maggie Thompson

Roy Thomas

Susan Cicconi

Chuck Rozanski

Jerry Wiest

Mark Evanier

Bob Overstreet

Bill Gaines

Ron Turner

Denis Kitchen

Bob Beerbohm

Ian Levine

:shy:

All great picks. Who would you consider CGC boards greatest collecting icons?

My picks

Greggy

Comicdonna

Nearmint

GAtor

Bounty coder

Thirdgreenham

Bronze age fan

Makmorn

1koko

Jordysnordy

Junkdrawer

Bedrock

Cimm

I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, but these are my first thoughts.

Ghost Town

Came to post this. Barton's collection is pretty damn unbelievable.

I was going to say Phil Sueling, but he was on the business side of things, dealing with distribution. His comics claim to fame...which is hefty...is the Direct market. And he did run his shows in NYC in the late 70's/early 80's, but I'm not sure how much of a "collecting icon" he was.

I was going to say Phil Sueling, but he was on the business side of things, dealing with distribution. His comics claim to fame...which is hefty...is the Direct market. And he did run his shows in NYC in the late 70's/early 80's, but I'm not sure how much of a "collecting icon" he was.

I always thought that he was considered an icon over in the States.

Perhaps a misconception on my part through being British. (shrug)

I always thought that he was considered an icon over in the States.

Perhaps a misconception on my part through being British. (shrug)

Sure, he definitely is. After all, it was his idea that saved comics in the late 70's. and opened the door to the successes of the 80's and 90's and beyond.

But I don't know how much of a collecting icon he is....

I'd like to nominate Nelson Dodd who brokered the Ohio Pedigree and still is actively collecting even though he retired from the circuit last year.

Nelson introduced me to Pre-Code Horror and Golden Age books while I was focused on buying Silver & Bronze (which were semi-moderns at the time) from his booth at the Medina County Fairgrounds in the early '80's.

He was always polite, willing to deal and had great stories that entertained this annoying teenager so much that I went to the fairgrounds every month to drop more money with Nelson and ask him a few more questions about comic history.

-bc

Steve Borock and Mark Haspel. The guys are absolute encyclopedias of comic knowledge. During a conversation with Mark, it's amusing to me, to mention some obscure, left field, Golden Age book that you picked up, and him not bat an eye. By nature of being on these message boards, we're all probably pretty knowledgable. Well, not when compared to Mark Haspel. Any book you mention, he'll know exactly what you're talking about. Mention whatever Golden or Silver Age book you want. He knows them all. Try to stump him. I challenge you!