• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic comics 3

140 posts in this topic

There are the top three Fantastic 2's (graded copies) right there.

Though I assume JB has a doozy too. (MH, Larson, Comstock???)

Let's just say that it is a perfect match for his #3

Is the #3 scarcer than the #5, or just more desirable? I don't understand the price difference between those two issues. The #5 has a great cover too...maybe not as detailed as #3 and without a robot, but still a great cover... (shrug)

Interesting question, Brian.

My take is that they are both classic covers, but #3 is an all-time favorite. However, #5 is a bit scarcer, so there's that.

Both #3 and #5 should rank as extremely desirable, I would think... but the #3 is definitely worth more.

Never crossed my mind that #5 might be scarcer than issue #3. Especially when the HA archives indicates twice as many sales for issue #5 as compared to issue #3. Of course, this could be due to the fact that issue #3 has such a classic cover that collectors just hold onto them when they have it in their personal collection. (shrug)

If you are talking about scarcity, I thought issue #2 was supposed to be the hardest one of the early Fantastic's to find, especially in grade. Looks like the HA archives only have 4 sales of unrestored copies for this book, with the highest graded copy being only a G+ 4.5 copy. Gerber has a SI rating of 8 for this issue and I remember Michelle Nolan writing something somewhere about the scarcity of this particular issue. hm

In the case of Fantastic 3, I think the sales numbers are misleading because (as you say) collectors are holding onto them.

I've probably seen as many Fantastic 2's as I have Fantastic 5's.

I guess most of them must be sitting in personal collections or sold through private sales then since the HA archives indicates twice as many sales of unrestored copies of Fantastic 5 as compared to Fantastic 2.

I suspect the higher grade copies must be locked away in private collections as 5 copies of the Fantastic 5 sold by HA grades higher than the highest graded copy sold by them, and by a significant margin at that. hm

I've heard that 2 is the most scarce also. No idea if it's true.

3046953a-e929-484d-a9a8-3dad75a0d724_zpst47xidkm.jpg

fantasticcomics2.jpg

fantastic2.jpg

There are the top three Fantastic 2's (graded copies) right there.

Though I assume JB has a doozy too. (MH, Larson, Comstock???)

Mission accomplished......I knew that I could ferret out some nice beautiful copies of Fantastic 2. (thumbs u:cloud9:

Rather surprised to hear that there is no copies graded into the nine's in the Top 3 so far. I assume this would be reserved for the Church copy which Jon Berk must no doubt be the proud owner of. hm

I think it's under appreciated a little...... I love the color scheme and the dynamic image.....it's my second favorite cover in the run behind # 3....... and it's a 1939 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u