• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Arrival

26 posts in this topic

Watch this trailer (for a different "Arrival") if you want a high cringe level for 2 minutes of your life:

The 90's Charlie Sheen Arrival wasn't bad, but the sequel must have been as I don't recall it.

Didn't movie critic Roger Ebert like it more than Independence Day that summer? lol

This is one of my most anticipated movies this year (other than the new Godzilla which i've already seen) as anything based on a story by Ted Chiang is going to be interested. I recommend all of his stories for any sci-fi fan (the collection 'Stories of Your Life and Others' is amazing)

It's odd that they're using the same name as the 1996 film. I just assumed it was a remake.

Looks like it has no connection to the original.

Well, they ain't. One is called 'Arrival' and the other older one is called 'The Arrival' and I don't think anyone gives the Charlie Sheen movies much thought anymore nor would even refer to it as 'the original'. At least it is better then the vast amount of other movies that have identical names (Bad Boys, Gladiator, Red, Crash, The Illusionist etc.. etc.. etc..)

I think most will like it. Think Contact meets Interstellar meets Tree of Life (or some othe T. Malic movie) with pacing similar to his other movie Enemy. The ending climax is sutle/subdued. No clapping and a pause of silence before everyone got up and quietly left. Not that it was bad, just don't expect Independence Day.

Terrible movie and I love Sci-fi movie that are deep. Very very slow with very little pay off at the end. Left wishing I had those two hours back and my headached.

Thought it was great

Really good. Thoughtful. Well-structured. Beautifully shot by Bradford Young, obviously. Amy Adams may get some Oscar love here-- I wouldn't be mad. Loved the depictions of alien life/attempts at alien communication-- unlike most of what we usually see in these flicks.

Denis stays rollin', man. Doesn't really top Sicario for me, but that -script was so aces. This is really strong too.

They were, I think, intentionally vague about what help the aliens would need (could be natural resources unique to earth, could be the thought process of a species that thinks about time linearly...). But teaching us their language and ability to hop around time will make it much easier to communicate (and maybe help ensure that we haven't exterminated ourselves through nuclear war) when they return in 3000 years.

humans can only "time travel" when they've fully understood the heptapod language... that is, when they've started to dream in it and are fully immersed in it. Adams was obviously the most well-versed but I get the feeling that her knowledge was even further advanced when she boarded the ship and could actually touch the ink.

and it looks like she becomes the leading expert on the language in the near future but obviously not everyone gets the time-hopping ability because her husband is surprised by the daughter getting sick.

not everyone gets the time-hopping ability because her husband is surprised by the daughter getting sick.

FYI it isn't anything to do with time-hopping or traveling, it's just access to memories. Just as when you are trying to figure out a problem you might suddenly remember a moment from your past that can help you. But yes, not everyone learns it fully enough (or tries to) to get to that level of perception.

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards" - The Queen of Hearts

just re-read the story today and watching the movie now....

as someone else said, the trailer was a little to Day the Earth Stood Still, or a thinking mans Independence day, but as others had said, its way more Contact than anything else...