• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, The Only Slabbing Service Allowed Within The Walls Of C2E2/ECCC Until 2020

283 posts in this topic

Yup, I didn't read in that press release that if you used CBCS you would be banned from sending books to CGC.

Which is what Fan Expo was basically telling dealers if they setup at Peter's shows.

But hey, I understand that the rock and roll lifestyle is a hard one on those seeking the fame and fortune.

Drugs, women, the endless searching for the right musical hook, the next big hit.

Yup, I didn't read in that press release that if you used CBCS you would be banned from sending books to CGC.

Which is what Fan Expo was basically telling dealers if they setup at Peter's shows.

But hey, I understand that the rock and roll lifestyle is a hard one on those seeking the fame and fortune.

Drugs, women, the endless searching for the right musical hook, the next big hit.

No, CGC isn't going to ban customers from giving them money just like Fan Expo won't be banning attendees who bought tickets to other shows.

But what about vendors? If you provide a service for CBCS how would CGC treat you? I seem to remember some shocking reactions to vendors who serviced CGC also providing services to CBCS when they first launched, and it did result in hard feelings and deleted threads (and accounts, if I remember correctly).

And what service would I be providing to CBCS?

Are you referring to pressing services which I do not do.

I sell CBCS books that I've bought or consignor's send me.

I've had CBCS contact me about submitting to them. They know exactly how I feel about them as a grading company. CGC doesn't "threaten me" in any way, shape or form.

Both companies are in this to make MONEY. Threatening me is not a good way to get me to spend money on their services.

I wasn't talking about you. I'm just saying CGC is not above any of those tactics and have already done similar things in the past. People who had good working relationships with CGC for years were suddenly blacklisted for also offering their services to others in the industry. That's exactly like the scenario between competing conventions you presented. Now, if CGC's policies don't affect you in a negative way, that's fine. Let's not pretend they didn't affect others though. Kind of like how I'll never attend (and certainly not set up a booth at) any of the conventions mentioned so it doesn't affect me, but I can see how a vendor wouldn't like being given that ultimatum. I can still recognize things that don't affect me in a negative manner as bad.

I think it says alot about a company that instead of letting your product do the talking you have to resort to threatening and paying people/companies off to discourage your customers from using your competitors. I'm no cheerleader for any specific company, as none are perfect but this behavior is really off-putting.

man-- this thread went nuclear. What follows was probably said but I don't have time to read through all those posts right now.

I don't understand why CGC would need to be "exclusive" at all in the first place. If they have the backlog for their services I've read about for years on this forum, they need to increase capacity more than anything else. Also-- perhaps they should have a special "dealers services" set up (to deal with the hundred plus submissions) and not limit/close off other "regular Joe" customers from a chance to use the on site services.

If CGC wasn't the one who initiated the deal they may have been put in a situation where they were told "either you're the exclusive on site graders or the other guys are" in which case it would only make sense to become the exclusive on site graders. I figure it could have gone either way. CGC has played hardball in the past but there's no guarantee they initiated this. Of course the point is this is bad news for consumers no matter who initiated it. Either the convention promoters or the grading companies have figured out a way to milk an extra buck from all this and took advantage, and this kind of behavior will only spread. It's not going to make conventions better for comic book fans. But the big conventions hardly seem to be geared at comic book fans anyway. The people there to show off their costumes and meet a TV show star aren't going to stop buying tickets over it.

True, they can both have their pros and cons. I would consider damaging your customer's property and not owning up to it and making it right a pretty serious con on the CBCS side. Whereas CGC making a smart business move from their perspective... maybe a con for you but I couldn't care less. But hey that's just me.
pretty sure CGC has made some customers unhappy, even damaged books. Those threads would all be deleted now, because CGC wasn't owning up to it either. But hey, you can pick and choose to paint a picture however you like

I've had books damaged by CGC. Twice in fact. And also books lost by CGC. In both cases I was made whole. CBCS on the other hand not only didn't take responsibility and try to do the right thing, they basically blamed it on me as if I had just sent in damaged books. It was insulting on top of financially damaging. As you said however "you can pick and choose to paint a picture however you like".

As several others have said, it's a moot point, because CBCS isn't CAPABLE of doing on site grading at these other shows, or at least, it hasn't even tried, so what are they being shut out of?

Just got caught up. It's more than just onsite, which is what I was not sure about.

There will be no CBCS presence at those two shows.

Did you get confirmation on this complete exclusivity for CGC? ???

Just asking as it sounds like most people are thinking the exclusivity is limited to only on-site grading which the other company basically does not do anyways. (shrug)

True, they can both have their pros and cons. I would consider damaging your customer's property and not owning up to it and making it right a pretty serious con on the CBCS side. Whereas CGC making a smart business move from their perspective... maybe a con for you but I couldn't care less. But hey that's just me.
pretty sure CGC has made some customers unhappy, even damaged books. Those threads would all be deleted now, because CGC wasn't owning up to it either. But hey, you can pick and choose to paint a picture however you like

I've had books damaged by CGC. Twice in fact. And also books lost by CGC. In both cases I was made whole. CBCS on the other hand not only didn't take responsibility and try to do the right thing, they basically blamed it on me as if I had just sent in damaged books. It was insulting on top of financially damaging. As you said however "you can pick and choose to paint a picture however you like".

You could consider all the books that became wavy after the new holder debacle to be damaged. All those threads have been deleted, but you can kind of see what happened between the two pinned threads. One essentially said "That thread was a lie and nothing is wrong with the holders" and the next one says "We redesigned that holder that nothing was wrong with."

How many people who got wavy comics were reimbursed? How could you calculate the damages? CGC's response is they'll press and reholder your book. Well, what if you don't want a pressed comic? Tough luck? If a comic was not damaged why would it need to be pressed anyway? They probably answered all these questions in the deleted threads though.

i-for-one-welcome-our-new-insect-overlords.jpg

You could consider all the books that became wavy after the new holder debacle to be damaged. All those threads have been deleted, but you can kind of see what happened between the two pinned threads. One essentially said "That thread was a lie and nothing is wrong with the holders" and the next one says "We redesigned that holder that nothing was wrong with."

How many people who got wavy comics were reimbursed? How could you calculate the damages? CGC's response is they'll press and reholder your book. Well, what if you don't want a pressed comic? Tough luck? If a comic was not damaged why would it need to be pressed anyway? They probably answered all these questions in the deleted threads though.

subtitle_sacking_01.jpg

Some clarification since I couldn't go to C2E2 last year - is this the first time CGC will be doing onsite at that show? If so then I could see the promoter offering the exclusive agreement to get onsite at the event and of course CGC is going to agree to that offer. Who wouldn't want to be the only seller in a room? Hell - who wouldn't want to be the only dealer of books in a Con and would turn down the opportunity to be buyers only option. Not ideal for the buyers standpoint but I'm pretty sure CGC is not in business to provide you with other options at a Con.

I wasn't talking about you. I'm just saying CGC is not above any of those tactics and have already done similar things in the past. People who had good working relationships with CGC for years were suddenly blacklisted for also offering their services to others in the industry. That's exactly like the scenario between competing conventions you presented. Now, if CGC's policies don't affect you in a negative way, that's fine. Let's not pretend they didn't affect others though. Kind of like how I'll never attend (and certainly not set up a booth at) any of the conventions mentioned so it doesn't affect me, but I can see how a vendor wouldn't like being given that ultimatum. I can still recognize things that don't affect me in a negative manner as bad.

Jeez ... can you can it with the hyperbole, please? Nobody has been blacklisted by CGC.

It's hilarious how transparent you are - if Voldemort were the ones initiating this deal, you'd be the first to applaud what a smart business move it was :eyeroll:

Some clarification since I couldn't go to C2E2 last year - is this the first time CGC will be doing onsite at that show? If so then I could see the promoter offering the exclusive agreement to get onsite at the event and of course CGC is going to agree to that offer. Who wouldn't want to be the only seller in a room? Hell - who wouldn't want to be the only dealer of books in a Con and would turn down the opportunity to be buyers only option. Not ideal for the buyers standpoint but I'm pretty sure CGC is not in business to provide you with other options at a Con.

Yes, CGC has never done onsite at C2E2 before.

my question is how do you know it wasn't done in the mail? lol wouldn't be the 1st time. i've sent books to cgc and most of them recived an impact to the corner, all cgc did was call (read down bottom) and say the box/books were damaged and proceded to tell me over the phone the damages and what i wanted to do grade/send back.......iirc they didn't call me actully, i called in to check on the order and was routed to someone who kept meaning to call but never did. lol they actully kept the box but at some point it was thrown out so odds are the books sat for awhile. i'm not one to call right away so prob a good amt of time went by before that 1st call

Now let's get back to Roy telling us how this is Paradise ComicCon vs FanExpo all over again, cuz that doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Thanks for sensationalizing my point in an attempt to do whatever you are doing.

This is what I said:

And just to give you an idea of why Comicwhiz and I are on the side of preferring competition, we lived through this with 2 quarreling Comic conventions in the Toronto area for a very long time. In the end, anyone involved with the conventions suffered and nothing good came of it.

I also said that I personally prefer letting product, prices and service do the talking in business.

Sorry if you disagree with any of it.