• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, The Only Slabbing Service Allowed Within The Walls Of C2E2/ECCC Until 2020

283 posts in this topic

As the former CEO of the Chicago Comicon I can tell you that exclusives are big money makers - but only when it comes to certain categories. For instance we would never have allowed Marvel to be the exclusive comic book publisher on site at the con. It would make no sense for us to anger all the DC fans who came to see their favorite DC creators and to attend panels, etc. Same would go for every fan of Image, Dark Horse, et al.

But for a small category like comic-book grading, all you're doing is excluding one company and getting many more dollars in return from CGC for their exclusivity agreement. It's a win-win for CGC and Reed since so few fans would lament CBCS not being there.

And with exclusivity agreements come other perks, like the right to advertise your exclusive status (see Dan's argument) and "partnering" your company with a winning team. "CGC - the exclusive grading certification company of the New York Comicon".

It might be different though. Look I don't know what to believe at this point. Phone CSR says they can appear just can't do grading. Online says they cant. The language isn't clear etc.

Here's where it can be different FD. If CGC is using DMP (dominant market position) to compel Reed pop to make this deal. If that happened then it could be an anti trust violation. I've dealt with this fun in my practice way more than I'd like. (Root canal with no Novocaine is more fun then EU antitrust). From the get go I thought it was weird they made a deal for C2E2 and ECCC and conspicuously omitted NYCC (the second largest con in the country and Reed pops crown jewel). Part of me is starting to wonder if it was on purpose, to keep the deal out of Schneiderman's jurisdiction (as he has been known to go after these kinds of deals before)

Don't want to ruin your little conspiracy theory here, but the reason that this deal doesn't involve NYCC is because it's pretty much impossible to do onsite grading at NYCC. The show is too large and the crowds guarantee that you can't ferry books back & forth which is one of the main components of doing onsite grading :gossip:

I wish someone ... anyone... would do some onsite grading in New York.

CGC did it in 2009 at the Pier 92 Carbo show.

The show was a disaster because of the weather. But I had a ton of books graded. lol

I love how all the CBCS fanatics are falling all over themselves and screaming about how “unfair” it is and how they should boycott this and protest that like a bunch of crybabies…yet if the almighty upstart CBCS had inked that deal with ReedPop all of those same people would be exactly like “OMG! CBCS is sooooooooo business savy! Those bitter CGC guys are just crying because CBCS is better! CBCS made a business move and CGC is pouting! Wow, Borock is the coolest! CBCS RULEZ! Look out! They are gonna TAKE OVER!”

You know what? CGC and ReedPop made the deal that apparently CBCS was either not willing to do or simply couldn't pull the cash and/or resources to do (probably the likeliest reason of them all) ...or just maybe ReedPop simply preferred CGC to CBCS

Bottom line? Tough luck CBCS. Get a helmet. It's business simple as that...and many of the CBCS kool-aid slurpers are quick to spout off on that very fact when it favors them and their precious CBCS and then stomp their feet and whine about fairness and inequality when it doesn't.

From a business standpoint CGC simply beat them to the punch plain and simple.

Dont wanna go to C2E2 based on this (like what some are already chest-pounding and proclaiming on C2E2s Facebook page)? Stay the hell home. Problem Solved. The whiners likely wont be missed anyway. If this is the only reason you are hauling your carcass to C2E2 then sit home and just Netflix and Whine, hug your Steve Borock Body Pillow, and have a good cry...maybe make yourself feel better by watching V for Vendetta a few times and pretend to storm the big bad CGC fortress wearing your CBCS t-shirt like a brave and justified little revolutionary.

Truth be told I own books from both companies and have since the beginning and I think all of this makes the CBCS groupies look like a bunch of hypocrites and sore losers. You can't preach the glory of Capitalism and competition and then throw a fit when it inevitably bites you on the rear when your brand doesn't make the cut.

Do a little research before you make false accusations. This has been published by CBCS' manager: "CBCS has been offered exclusive access to several shows since we've opened, but we've turned it down every time because we feel it hurts the hobby." What part of that do you not understand?

All you are doing is blowing out some party lines about chest thumping and crybabies and a handful of other platitudes. It is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about and what their policy actually is. You just think if you can word something strongly and insult people they will lay down before your seeming wisdom. Wrong place for that.

Total bull*spoon* :lol:

If Voldemort was offered exclusive access to ECCC which guaranteed that CGC wasn't allowed to be there, they would have taken that deal in a heartbeat.

You think Borock was offering 20% discounts to people who wanted to reslab books in the middle of CGC's case crisis out of the goodness of his heart? No, he was doing this to hopefully eat into CGC's market share.

It might be different though. Look I don't know what to believe at this point. Phone CSR says they can appear just can't do grading. Online says they cant. The language isn't clear etc.

Here's where it can be different FD. If CGC is using DMP (dominant market position) to compel Reed pop to make this deal. If that happened then it could be an anti trust violation. I've dealt with this fun in my practice way more than I'd like. (Root canal with no Novocaine is more fun then EU antitrust). From the get go I thought it was weird they made a deal for C2E2 and ECCC and conspicuously omitted NYCC (the second largest con in the country and Reed pops crown jewel). Part of me is starting to wonder if it was on purpose, to keep the deal out of Schneiderman's jurisdiction (as he has been known to go after these kinds of deals before)

Don't want to ruin your little conspiracy theory here, but the reason that this deal doesn't involve NYCC is because it's pretty much impossible to do onsite grading at NYCC. The show is too large and the crowds guarantee that you can't ferry books back & forth which is one of the main components of doing onsite grading :gossip:

I asked the CGC team this question a couple of years ago and I was basically told the same thing. NYCC is a beast of a show. At this point when I am doing drop offs I try to make sure that I have the forms already filled out since even filling out forms can be a pain in the rear end at that show with the crowds bumping you from behind as you stand at their table to submit books. The CGC booth is always in the middle of the heart of the comic area.

At least the SS team works out of the corner so it is a little easier. Still though, I cannot imagine if they tried to do onsight grading.

Total bull*spoon* :lol:

If Voldemort was offered exclusive access to ECCC which guaranteed that CGC wasn't allowed to be there, they would have taken that deal in a heartbeat.

You think Borock was offering 20% discounts to people who wanted to reslab books in the middle of CGC's case crisis out of the goodness of his heart? No, he was doing this to hopefully eat into CGC's market share.

Well you said bull*spoon* and then used a derisive emoticon. Your logic is impeccable and I am convinced! Your reply probably reflects your own values more than anyone else's.

I love how all the CBCS fanatics are falling all over themselves and screaming about how “unfair” it is and how they should boycott this and protest that like a bunch of crybabies…yet if the almighty upstart CBCS had inked that deal with ReedPop all of those same people would be exactly like “OMG! CBCS is sooooooooo business savy! Those bitter CGC guys are just crying because CBCS is better! CBCS made a business move and CGC is pouting! Wow, Borock is the coolest! CBCS RULEZ! Look out! They are gonna TAKE OVER!”

You know what? CGC and ReedPop made the deal that apparently CBCS was either not willing to do or simply couldn't pull the cash and/or resources to do (probably the likeliest reason of them all) ...or just maybe ReedPop simply preferred CGC to CBCS

Bottom line? Tough luck CBCS. Get a helmet. It's business simple as that...and many of the CBCS kool-aid slurpers are quick to spout off on that very fact when it favors them and their precious CBCS and then stomp their feet and whine about fairness and inequality when it doesn't.

From a business standpoint CGC simply beat them to the punch plain and simple.

Dont wanna go to C2E2 based on this (like what some are already chest-pounding and proclaiming on C2E2s Facebook page)? Stay the hell home. Problem Solved. The whiners likely wont be missed anyway. If this is the only reason you are hauling your carcass to C2E2 then sit home and just Netflix and Whine, hug your Steve Borock Body Pillow, and have a good cry...maybe make yourself feel better by watching V for Vendetta a few times and pretend to storm the big bad CGC fortress wearing your CBCS t-shirt like a brave and justified little revolutionary.

Truth be told I own books from both companies and have since the beginning and I think all of this makes the CBCS groupies look like a bunch of hypocrites and sore losers. You can't preach the glory of Capitalism and competition and then throw a fit when it inevitably bites you on the rear when your brand doesn't make the cut.

Do a little research before you make false accusations. This has been published by CBCS' manager: "CBCS has been offered exclusive access to several shows since we've opened, but we've turned it down every time because we feel it hurts the hobby." What part of that do you not understand?

Well it has to be true then if it was published and can't possibly be spin at all.

Jim

Well it has to be true then if it was published and can't possibly be spin at all.

Jim

That isn't saying it is or it isn't spin. Kind of ambiguous. Are you saying it is nothing but spin?

I'm not saying that either. I'm just saying it's a possibility and don't like dealing in absolutes, well unless it's absolute. Just like the assumption that is CGC's brainstorm when it could quite possibly be Reeds.

Jim

I don't think anyone has made the argument that CGC invented exclusive agreements. The argument is that they aren't good for consumers.

Sports venues and airlines aren't known to be great deals or terribly concerned with customer service so I don't know how this hurts our argument in any way.

Yes, more industries than comic conventions have deals for consumers.

I think this entire thread could be summed up in your bolded statement above.

I really don't understand some of the tribalism we're seeing in this thread.

You can be a CGC fan (and I am) and think this is a lousy move by whoever is responsible. Not lousy in a business sense by CGC or Reed, but lousy in that it hoses consumers.

I never understand the need to resort to analogies when we have a fairly fleshed out situation to begin with. Analogies should clarify the issue not muddy it! This board uses analogies to get further away from the central concept. It really is a bizarro-world here, but we all know this.

This thread has nine different discussions all going on at once. The central disconnect is between those seeing the situation from a business perspective debating those looking from the hobbyist/consumer perspective. Apples and oranges people.

Well this would be depressing if I intended to continue going to ECCC..but I have no tolerance for the way Reedpop is running the con.

I went this year for the first time since 2013, and yep, downhill is right.

And yet, oddly enough, tickets are selling out faster & faster. ECCC is one of my favorite shows of the year :cloud9:

Well this would be depressing if I intended to continue going to ECCC..but I have no tolerance for the way Reedpop is running the con.

Hmmm, I need to get a pair of new glasses. My rose colored ones must be working too well.

Hmmm, I need to get a pair of new glasses. My rose colored ones must be working too well.

Liam, what didn't you like about the show this year?

I thought it was pretty well done.

One thing I will say is that there were less small, local dealers and that is becoming a trend for all major shows but other than that it seems well organized.