• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whilce Portacio Iron Man

16 posts in this topic

A while back, at the Calgary Expo in Alberta, I bought a Limited Edition Iron Man sketch from Whilce Portacio.

There were 900 made/drawn. When I bought it, I didn't look at the ___ of 900 number until I got home.

I see that what his wife packed up for me was "Limited Edition artist copyof 900.

What did I get here? I got his copy? He signed it for me, but didn't notice it himself I suppose. ??

Thoughts anyone?

I would think the artist proof is slightly more valuable than a numbered print. The AP is the version that the artist reviews (and possibly approves or make changes to) before final production. There may be multiple AP's too.... Depending on the artist requests & if changes were made.

I've seen rare signed first edition books go for possibly slightly more that were artist's proofs. it's hard to say tho, I don't think anybody is really seeking them out, it's more like a curiousity, oh that's cool. if I saw one up for sale at the same time as the normal version, I guess I'd pick it if the price was the same. what more could it be worth, 2%, 5%, %10?

for a 900 copy limitation of a Portacio Iron Man sketch print, what would a regular copy be worth? $20-50? I like Portacio's work but I don't think of Iron Man as one of his notable works.

A while back, at the Calgary Expo in Alberta, I bought a Limited Edition Iron Man sketch from Whilce Portacio.

There were 900 made/drawn. When I bought it, I didn't look at the ___ of 900 number until I got home.

I see that what his wife packed up for me was "Limited Edition artist copyof 900.

What did I get here? I got his copy? He signed it for me, but didn't notice it himself I suppose. ??

Thoughts anyone?

It won't be worth any more. Maybe ever so marginally. But the print itself will never be worth anything as a /900. So even if yours is worth 20% more its still never going to be valuable.

Realistically I would guess the fact you got an AP means he just began selling these (though maybe he sold you an AP by accident). I know I have a 1/100 print somewhere that an artist did for me as a gift and copies 2 to 100 haven't even been made yet. (he just numbered it as /100 to reserve the right to sell more later).

Yeah, in some cases the AP is worth more in the signed and numbered books. In the case of The Watchmen graphitti designs hardcover, it is worth significantly more than the regular, because only the AP's were signed by Alan Moore. AP's of the first DKR hardcover were also worth more. I have both (as well as a few others), so count me as someone who DOES search out AP's, but only in HARDCOVER books, not prints, but maybe that's because I'm an OA collector as well and just rarely even consider getting any print at all, let alone an AP. I guess an area where I MIGHT consider is in the case of something like the Sandman covers where there is no original and the AP is the only one in existence... if the artist is true to their word. But I would have to really love that cover image, whether for nostalgia or just pure emotion it delivers to me personally.

Yeah, in some cases the AP is worth more in the signed and numbered books. In the case of The Watchmen graphitti designs hardcover, it is worth significantly more than the regular, because only the AP's were signed by Alan Moore. AP's of the first DKR hardcover were also worth more. I have both (as well as a few others), so count me as someone who DOES search out AP's, but only in HARDCOVER books, not prints, but maybe that's because I'm an OA collector as well and just rarely even consider getting any print at all, let alone an AP. I guess an area where I MIGHT consider is in the case of something like the Sandman covers where there is no original and the AP is the only one in existence... if the artist is true to their word. But I would have to really love that cover image, whether for nostalgia or just pure emotion it delivers to me personally.

Count me as jealous on that Watchmen GD book.

One comment I'd add in general - signed pieces of this sort may typically be expected to sell for more, whether they are an AP or not. So... I'm not sure how you'd separate that out of the mix. If the APs are the only one's signed of course, then it's easy.

Well, also, in the case of the original DKR AP hardcover, they were never for sale and only given out to select GD employees and generally sell for multiple of what the S/N version (4000 copies) sell for... if you can find one.

I actually haven't looked at my AP collection in a long time and don't remember now exactly which AP's I own and which are just S/N (aside from the Watchmen and DKR). I think I also have the Elektra Assassin AP GD hardcover, but it might just be S/N. When I get back home, I'm going to have to crack them all open and look. It'll be nice to take that walk down memory lane, so I'm glad this thread was started.

Itosukai:

Seems to me this thread hasn't nailed down the basic point--is this art or a fancy print? Itosukai - yuo used the word "sketch" but I'm sorry (and I agree with what a few other poster's seem to be saying) but this is more likely a print.

In the 2000s, in San Diego Whilce and his wife were selling a print of a Heroes Reborn armor Iron Man flying to the left --- - it said Limited Edition ___ of 900. It was just a better quality print on heavier stock paper. I'm pretty sure I've got one buried somewhere in storage. So unless you know that you bought the original art that was then used to make the print, it's just a fancy print. And the fact that it says artist proof really only matters to those collectors who think 2 of 100 is more "valuable" than a 49 of 100 or that an AP print is more "valuable" than a 2 of 100. But that is only going to be a small incremental extra value. It's not really a production proof or master proof that he then used to create the rest --the AP is the same as every other print. Sorry. I've seen these. My 2cents.

In fact (and I may be wrong about this) but I have a vague recollection that the one I have says Artist Proof on it as well--so there may be even more APs around making an AP even less "valuable" - but in the end it's just another copy.

In fact here's an AP print of the image I was recalling on CAF

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=758460&GSub=114254

Or perhaps yours is a different print all together -- but I highly doubt it's the original art. You also know what you paid which should give the answer by itself.

You are absolutely right, I'm afraid.

The link you provided is the same print that I have, down to the Artist Proof sticker in front of the 900.

Ahh well, it now looks pretty good framed and hanging on my wall.