• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

You know, the problem with this message board is it makes you do things you didn't want to do... like spend even more money on comics.

I had a ton of Archies and found myself getting interested in other publishers, particularly Marvel. First it was "oh, that Millie the Model #1 looks nice" then it was "hey, #2 has the Blonde Phantom, gotta get that." After that, I started checking out other Marvel humor from the 1940s. I love Archie comics and this was a natural progression. So then I thought I would just limit myself to the Millie the Model title in the 1940s. Then I saw the other great Millie, Hedy, Tessie, etc covers from this period.

And so, the buying continues:

This is a new one, I wish all my comics were as stunningly perfect looking as this one. It makes you wonder how a stray book from 1949 can manage to survive in such perfect condition.

z-comedy05.JPG

A stylish looking cover here:

z-gay35.JPG

Now some DeCarlo period Millies although I don't know for sure if the cover on 89 is his work:

z-millie45.JPG

z-millie89.JPG

had a ton of Archies and found myself getting interested in other publishers, particularly Marvel. First it was "oh, that Millie the Model #1 looks nice" then it was "hey, #2 has the Blonde Phantom, gotta get that." After that, I started checking out other Marvel humor from the 1940s. I love Archie comics and this was a natural progression. So then I thought I would just limit myself to the Millie the Model title in the 1940s. Then I saw the other great Millie, Hedy, Tessie, etc covers from this period.

I know exactly what you mean smile.gif I started by deciding to just get the Marvel keys: Patsy Walker #1, Millie #1, etc. But now it's the first 10 issues of Patsy Walker and all the Millies, plus all of DeCarlo's other work for Marvel, and then there's the Fox teen humor titles, etc, etc.

That Comedy #5 is beautiful cloud9.gif And I would bet money that the Millie 89 is DeCarlo's work thumbsup2.gif

This seems to be a pretty good price for this.

Showgirls

Wow! I recall about a decade ago a dealer at the L.A. shrine con had a small stack of these ( at least half a dozen copies) - all in around FN or so for $5 @ - and it took him a few shows to sell them all. I should have bought one foreheadslap.gif They were all unread, but had minor edge wear from storage - some sort of mini-warehouse find I guess.

Here are some more of the Marvel teen books including some swimsuit covers:

I like the pastel look of this cover. I always liked how Marvel featured the characters doing things together on the covers even though their paths never crossed in the actual stories.

z-comedy07.JPG

This was posted before. Take a look at Tessie on this cover and you'll see she looks a lot like...

z-gay26.jpg

Betty on this cover:

z-archie13x.JPG

More swimsuits

z-joker29.JPG

z-millie07.jpg

To 143ksk, which of the DC or other non-Marvel books do you enjoy? I like Millie, Patsy, Nellie, and Hedy from Marvel up to about 1950, before they started making Nellie and Hedy (and Millie to some degree) brainless along the lines of My Friend Irma or MLJ's Suzie. I haven't run across much teen humor from the other publishers that has caught my attention yet so I am curious about what others make for good reading.

I think your list is a good one. It's not GA, but I also like Tippy Teen. I haven't read a whole lot of non-Archie non-Marvel GA teen books. I'll tell you what I think of Here's Howie once I've read it.

Santa was good to me this year. He brought me a lot of cool Marvel books. Marvel may have been the second rate teen books after Archie but they cranked out some cool covers. And they are good reads as well.

1st up. Patsy Walker. She was not their regular cheesecake character but they tried it on occasion, resulting in some nice covers:

z-patsywalker12.JPG

z-patsywalker13.JPG

Frankie issues also featured some dynamic artwork:

z-frankie07.JPG

Junior Miss is not one of my favorites but I love this cover. The altitude of their seats in the stadium is emphasized nicely.

z-junior%20miss%2028.JPG

Finally, an issue of Georgie:

z-georgie%2009.JPG

Marvel definitely knew how to grab your attention with great cover art.