• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

Not quite the GGA thats been posted but this #1 Atlas is more Teen Humor than Military. Kind of an esoteric find.

cd16.jpg

Barney Baxter's are a lot of fun -- all stories written by Stan Lee and drawn by John Severin.

Certainly this was Goodman and the gang jumping on the military comedy/Sgt. Bilko bandwagon. I'm the world's worst art spotter, but does this cover (credited to Severin when it was posted) look a lot like Mort Drucker? Were their comedy styles similar?

Jack

Not quite the GGA thats been posted but this #1 Atlas is more Teen Humor than Military. Kind of an esoteric find.

cd16.jpg

I like it - Barker was obviously inspired by Sgt. Bilko and looks like Stan Lee.

You know you're really charting a path for your child when you name her Moronica.

What's strange is that she apparently wandered over from Standard Comics -- Moronica appeared in at least one issue of Starlet O'Hara in Hollywood (#1 Dec 1948 - #4 Sept 1949). I have #4 and she's in there. Did ACG buy up some inventory from Standard? Can you tell who drew the feature for ACG? (Maybe Odgen Whitney worked for Standard or Owen Fitzgerald moved from Standard to ACG??)

Jack

What's strange is that she apparently wandered over from Standard Comics -- Moronica appeared in at least one issue of Starlet O'Hara in Hollywood (#1 Dec 1948 - #4 Sept 1949). I have #4 and she's in there. Did ACG buy up some inventory from Standard? Can you tell who drew the feature for ACG? (Maybe Odgen Whitney worked for Standard or Owen Fitzgerald moved from Standard to ACG??)

PS

GCD came back up.

Owen Fitzgerald drew the feature for ACG, and probably for Standard. Was Standard a precursor company to ACG?

Jack