• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Con 2017
2 2

87 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

As someone with a pretty limited budget (under $1,000) and has never been, what should I expect? Is there more than just comic art pages? Are old commissions, sketches etc. also being sold?

Thanks!

There's something for every budget.  I always bring a portfolio with a number of 3-figure pieces (heck, I even brought some 2-figure pieces to my first couple of shows), which nobody seems to care about, as I've only managed to sell more expensive pages at the show.  I've seen 3-figure pieces at other tables as well. 

On 3/22/2017 at 10:45 AM, ZimmermanTelegram said:

As someone with a pretty limited budget (under $1,000) and has never been, what should I expect? Is there more than just comic art pages? Are old commissions, sketches etc. also being sold?

Thanks!

There are many affordable pieces at the show.

Its a good show. For a long time i felt like I was the only guy bringing portfolios of stuff to trade and sell to other collectors and dealers. Now, everyone does it. I always tell people, bring whatever you have to trade/sell and bring a few keeper pieces just to share with others. It's a lot more fun sharing this stuff with folks who get it than your friends and family who nod and say "I like the word ballons on that" and "thats nice..." :-)

Ill be doing it like always, you should do the same.

I'll be set-up with some new works by Frank Thorne and a very cool vintage Wrightson color cover from 1978's Back for More.

Works from $65 to $40K 

And those looking for protection I'll have 11 x 17" comic art top loaders.

See you all at the con!

Zaddick 

Glad I read this, I thought it was Sunday!

I have gone to the comic art con on Saturdays twice before when the show was on Sunday! So I guess I have Sunday on my brain.

I have not been to every one lately, but it is generally easy to walk around. I myself generally hit the same few dealers and you may have to wait as one person looks through a portfolio before you but in general I never have much problems seeing what I want.

You should go.

You will see things you want and you will see new things.

Scott Dunbier is setting up at this show from what it says. I have never met Scott but his art collection is legendary and he started as an art dealer so...that alone is worth it.

I am taking my daughter to new student day at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn and that runs 9-2. I may still try and get to the con just to see what Scott Dunbier has and to see what stuff Scott Eder brought that will floor me.

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have not been to every one lately, but it is generally easy to walk around. I myself generally hit the same few dealers and you may have to wait as one person looks through a portfolio before you but in general I never have much problems seeing what I want.

You should go.

You will see things you want and you will see new things.

Scott Dunbier is setting up at this show from what it says. I have never met Scott but his art collection is legendary and he started as an art dealer so...that alone is worth it.

I am taking my daughter to new student day at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn and that runs 9-2. I may still try and get to the con just to see what Scott Dunbier has and to see what stuff Scott Eder brought that will floor me.

Thanks. Yes, I think I will go even if it's just to see some OA in person that I've never seen before. What I'm not sure about is whether I should bring a portfolio of my own OA collection. Frankly, I've never sold or traded a piece before, but have become more open to it in recent months as my collection gets rounded out and I have pieces I would love to acquire. 

7 minutes ago, wood83 said:

Thanks. Yes, I think I will go even if it's just to see some OA in person that I've never seen before. What I'm not sure about is whether I should bring a portfolio of my own OA collection. Frankly, I've never sold or traded a piece before, but have become more open to it in recent months as my collection gets rounded out and I have pieces I would love to acquire. 

Oh, now you should really go. I have brought portfolios often, and have sometimes left them in the car rather than try and wheel and deal. But I have also traded with Albert Moy, 3 pieces for 3 pieces, and that was a very worthwhile transaction. My plan that day was to walk in with a pencap, trade it up and walk out with a Frazetta but instead I did that thing with Albert. 

Now I am going too. Even for 30 minutes at the end (and that is a dead room at the end, dead energy). 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

Oh, now you should really go. I have brought portfolios often, and have sometimes left them in the car rather than try and wheel and deal. But I have also traded with Albert Moy, 3 pieces for 3 pieces, and that was a very worthwhile transaction. My plan that day was to walk in with a pencap, trade it up and walk out with a Frazetta but instead I did that thing with Albert. 

Now I am going too. Even for 30 minutes at the end (and that is a dead room at the end, dead energy). 

I've heard so many different things about Moy, pro and con. Is he willing to deal at FMV? I worry that he'll want to offer me 20 cents on my dollar and try to trade me $1 in return for $2 of my own. Fair? Unfair?

17 minutes ago, wood83 said:

I've heard so many different things about Moy, pro and con. Is he willing to deal at FMV? I worry that he'll want to offer me 20 cents on my dollar and try to trade me $1 in return for $2 of my own. Fair? Unfair?

Albert is fair in my opinion. I have never had any luck haggling with him and was wary of trading. But I found him surprisingly open to trade and thought that it had a far different feeling than dealing with money with him. Not that he is unfair with money, just firm. But with the trade I kept waiting for him to lower the boom and ask me to add cash or something but we worked out a great deal. I got 2 BWS and Sandy Plunkett and maybe even one other thing (going from my head here) and he got some Gene Colan and something else. Don't make an offer, just target some pieces and then talk to him and show him your stuff. I find Albert very approachable, just not very talkative. Have a basic value plan of your stuff and see where you guys go. And if you go, you can see a Donnelly Brother with actual prices on the art!

Edited by Bird
added last 2 sentences

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

Albert is fair in my opinion. I have never had any luck haggling with him and was wary of trading. But I found him surprisingly open to trade and thought that it had a far different feeling than dealing with money with him. Not that he is unfair with money, just firm. But with the trade I kept waiting for him to lower the boom and ask me to add cash or something but we worked out a great deal. I got 2 BWS and Sandy Plunkett and maybe even one other thing (going from my head here) and he got some Gene Colan and something else. Don't make an offer, just target some pieces and then talk to him and show him your stuff. I find Albert very approachable, just not very talkative. Have a basic value plan of your stuff and see where you guys go. And if you go, you can see a Donnelly Brother with actual prices on the art!

Thanks for the thoughts.