• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst issues of Amazing Spider Man
1 1

102 posts in this topic

I think ASM 1-33 (plus annual 1 and AF 15) was possibly the greatest single comic run of all time, but the last Ditko issues (34-38 and annual 2) really took a sharp downturn overall.

I'm about to finish that run. On issue 28 now. I've really enjoyed it. I have the second omnibus that begins Romita's run.

How is the early Romita's stuff?

The Romita stuff is great. Overall, I enjoyed it more than the Ditko stuff.

The Vol 2 Omnibus is one of the best comic purchases I've ever made (as far as quality for cost).

Edited by chrisco37

From 161 to 186 of the original Amazing Spider Man, the things that were just awful

weird Punisher guest star issues even the one with Jigsaw. Punisher acted weird. Didnt even act like the gruff violent Punisher at all.

the Reptron bad guy or whatever his name was. A rip off of The Lizard basically

lousy Kingpin guest starring

the so called wonderful college graduation for Peter. He missed Gym class of all classes. Yeah he goes around flipping through the city in the air with the spider webs and his agility but come on. He ditched Gym class the whole time in college?

interesting-- for some reason, I never really got into Spider-man other than buying the books off the rack (accumulation vs. collecting) and these books fall directly into the range of when I was first in the hobby as a young whipper snapper. The first ASM I bought was 147 and I enjoyed those early ones but can't remember even reading the later ones (last rack bought one was #178). Still have them but to hear others say they are terrible is connecting some dots that maybe I read some of them and just put them out of my mind.

Looking at the grades I have given to those books -- most of them are in high grade from 161 - 178. So I either wasn't reading/pawing over them often OR - might have been partially due to becoming better at taking care of my books (using bags, general handling, copy selection at purchase etc).

One doesn't really stick out as being terrible to me. I just always knew that the early stuff was by far the best (first fifty or so issues)- and I have several well read collections of that work.

By the way- how old would Aunt May be these days?

[font:Book Antiqua]“Sins Past” (ASM #509-514)

J. Michael Straczynski

[/font]

This. A million times this.

sins-past_zpsy2fwywnb.png

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

If you're keeping it to vol. 1, I actually liked ASM 361-365.

But Maximum Carnage was one of the worst things that came out of the entire decade of the '90s.

It was worse than Secret Wars 2.

186 onwards killed it for me as a kid, for obvious reasons. The sheer disappointment never left me. I can get the 161 theory now as an adult, but 176-180 are too ingrained in my mind as cherished boyhood memory inducing pieces of wonder. 

Spidey was right for his time - the 60's to 70's. Putting to one side the fact that super heroes aren't real, Spidey could not exist today. His identity wouldn't last a nanosecond.

When Marvel try a reboot, it doesn't work because they struggle to find a place for him in the modern world. What I read now, not only do I not like, I don't recognise it as Spider-Man.

So there are great issues and arcs above 186, and a good few donkeys below 186, but 1-185 are the Amazing Spider-Man. 

End of message.

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Logged into thread expecting to see Big Wheel. Leaving disappointed. Very disappointed.

.....a good few donkeys below 186......

17 minutes ago, spideyfan68 said:

Image result for spider man 183'

How could I forgotten both were in this super sucky issue. Even as a 9 year old kid I knew this was a stinker.

Yeah, but look, he's got this big wheel thing and it can go along with him in it, right? I mean if that ain't the definition of danger then I don't know what is?

The Big Wheel doesn't look as if it's moving that fast, and yet it doesn't appear to be wobbling or tipping over to the side.

Terrible villain, impressive stabilisation system.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Likefro said:

ASM had Ditko, then Romita, then Kane, then..........Andru????? Blargh!!! :sick:

You dare to mock the Andru!

Josh_Glenn.jpg.0f06acee5153ee894c1d1b409d7d8b72.jpg

Then you had Ron Frenz mimicking Ditko later on.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
5 minutes ago, Likefro said:

ASM had Ditko, then Romita, then Kane, then..........Andru????? Blargh!!! :sick:

You dare to mock the Andru!

Oh, I dare. I double dare in fact