• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst issues of Amazing Spider Man
1 1

102 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
12 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Me too. Unless I was low on toilet paper that is :smirk:

i'm just glad that I'M not the but of your jokes, oh no did I step in it?

Do I look like the kind of bloke who'd take on a bloke with them claws? :wink:

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess I misspoke. Maybe it wasn't totally the art, but the books didn't look attractive when I was a kid (single digits) in the 80's. Seeing them in dollar bins didn't make me want to look through and when I did, it might have been tainted with looking at the new stuff. I can't say that I was old enough at the time to appreciate much. I liked JR JR growing up, but didn't know better. 

I guess the real reason I didn't like them was because it seemed an old style art but not old style writing, so I couldn't really get into it.

I also think that around Mcfarlane I was a bit older and it seemed modern.

if that makes any kind of senses:shy:

Yeah, it does. I get the old style comment. If you put it next to the stylised McFarlane art it can look 'dated'. I like dated though, in most aspects of life. And I'm as far away from stylised as you'll get!

31 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Yeah, it does. I get the old style comment. If you put it next to the stylised McFarlane art it can look 'dated'. I like dated though, in most aspects of life. And I'm as far away from stylised as you'll get!

I signed up for a subscripton of Spiderman Classics when I was young, which is like Marvel Tales, reprints but specifically Spiderman. It had Stan writing, which was first appearances of characters so I felt like I was getting the "full" story. Amazing Spiderman around #170 seemed, when I read it, to be in the middle of what was going on and I was to young to connect the dots. I'm sure the guy has done other stuff, but specifically on the Spiderman, it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I just guess in mid 70-s the teenage critic in me was spoiled by the Marvel reprints  I still bought Spider-man because hey.. that was the top comic to buy!!

but i really wasn't captivated by the stories or the Ross Andru artwork from the  ASM comics i bought off the racks issues in 150 - 170 range......

when the price rose to 35 cents i quit because  i thought they were getting too expensive lol !!

I really liked the "Monsters on the Prowl" and other Atlas monster reprints much better !!

i almost never bought FF back as a kid because they always were continued and invariably i would miss an issue and be out of the loop

i specifically remember me having (or was it my cousin?) a Hulk 181 brand new,  but it was during a week long camping  trip and it got destroyed

the first comic i ever remember buying off the rack was in 4th grade, an ASM 102 for a quarter ,..my allowance then was 35 cents a week

5 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Whenever I'm digging through boxes of picked-over silver/bronze-age Spideys, almost guaranteed to find this one still hanging around:

3539803-asm126nm94m122.jpg.82afdac60c0dbe88380f9590dc546cec.jpg

Same over here! I was at the London Comic Fair once and one dealer had about 20 of them, all NM for £5 each. I bought a few. I seem to recall something about a warehouse find on this issue....?

3 hours ago, kav said:

Spider Man sure had a lot of animal based villains.  vultures, octopi, gibbons, scorpions, cats, chameleons, lizards, rhinos, he was essentially fighting a zoo more or less.

Don't forget Princess Python :wink:

th?id=OIP.SRMTsVeFzf6ABxPgTjSWawEsDu&pid

Edited by mosconi

10 hours ago, kav said:

Spider Man sure had a lot of animal based villains.  vultures, octopi, gibbons, scorpions, cats, chameleons, lizards, rhinos, he was essentially fighting a zoo more or less.

They had an interesting storyline in the Straczynski run of issues where it was explained this coincidence.  It was actually pretty enjoyable. 

7 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

While I love all the 1966 marvel mini books, the spider-man origin retold, and the superman cameo, I just can't shake the TWO absolutely terrible jokes at the end. 

Screenshot_20200217-214606_Gallery.jpg

spider-man-mini-book.jpg

thx I always wondered wut was in them things.

8 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

(thumbsu Found the interior photo online. Not opening mine up... they are so fragile and poorly bound (54 years ago) they can fall apart pretty easily. 

CGC it!