• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Flagship book?

122 posts in this topic

Such great books and stories.

When I was a kid, my parents got me the book Batman: From the Thirties to the Seventies as a Christmas gift. I loved that book to pieces, and I especially loved looking at the cover galleries. One book in particular intrigued me: Batman using what looked like the Joker signal to bring the Joker to the scene. And, as only possible on a comic book cover, the Joker arrives in two vehicles, a Jokermobile and a Joker plane.

I loved that cover so much that a friend's mother, who was an artist, drew the cover for me, and I had her sketch hanging in my room for years. I drooled over that comic forever. I remember going to a comic book show when I was 12, and a dealer had one for 50 bucks in about Fine condition, even though it went for 36 dollars in Mint in that year's guide.

Finally, when I had a steady job, I got a copy from the infamous Danny Cupcake of Fantazia fame. Did I give a that it had undisclosed resto? Not really. It cost me 150 bucks. Still my favorite book.

6jOBzE.jpg

Somehow the details of this cover always escaped my notice. This is a kick- cover! :applause:

I've been in and out of comics many, many times through the years and I've had many flagships as a result. Unfortunately, when I get out of comics I tend to sell them so my past flagships have sailed to better waters. :( The last time I jumped back into comics I decided to go after GA in a serious way and I started to purchase Timely when ever I had the money (and sometimes when I didn't :blush: ).

In 2014, my wife took me to SDCC and she even insisted I find a $10k+ book to commemorate the trip! All Select #1 was a book I drooled over in the the little pictures within Overstreet back in the day. Living in back woods Oklahoma, and being Federal housing assistance level poor, I really never expected to own a copy let alone be somewhere to view in person. Finding this copy was almost a religious experience for me. My wife made me submit it to CGC because every time she turned around I had it back out of its Mylar and was reading it again! There is no tanning browning or any other discoloration on this book and its bone white covers kept calling to me. :D

Big thank you to Vincent and Frank at Metropolis for working with me so that I could buy this book.

as1_front_cgc_zpssxm6mfi7.jpg

I've been in and out of comics many, many times through the years and I've had many flagships as a result. Unfortunately, when I get out of comics I tend to sell them so my past flagships have sailed to better waters. :( The last time I jumped back into comics I decided to go after GA in a serious way and I started to purchase Timely when ever I had the money (and sometimes when I didn't :blush: ).

In 2014, my wife took me to SDCC and she even insisted I find a $10k+ book to commemorate the trip! All Select #1 was a book I drooled over in the the little pictures within Overstreet back in the day. Living in back woods Oklahoma, and being Federal housing assistance level poor, I really never expected to own a copy let alone be somewhere to view in person. Finding this copy was almost a religious experience for me. My wife made me submit it to CGC because every time she turned around I had it back out of its Mylar and was reading it again! There is no tanning browning or any other discoloration on this book and its bone white covers kept calling to me. :D

Big thank you to Steven and Frank at Metropolis for working with me so that I could buy this book.

A book I would love to have someday as well!!! One of the greats!! PS i have read this story to my wife in hopes that she someday follows suit :D

Big thank you to Steven and Frank at Metropolis for working with me so that I could buy this book.

One of my all time favorite Schomberg covers :cloud9:

Well this thread is interesting - it seems each flagship book is based on much more of a personal connection (and the variety of books shown here demonstrates it) than a typical "top 10" or best ever list.

So here is my story, similar in many ways to others. When I was growing up, I would visit my grandmother’s house on the weekends. First thing I'd do is run upstairs to rummage through my father’s hoard of golden age comics that were spilling out of a closet in a giant pile. After reading through them I could take a handful of my favorite’s home with me. After a while, I built up a nice little collection. Eventually I figured out by attending local flea markets (anyone remember the Hunt Brother's silver run - somewhere around that time) that there was an Overstreet price guide. The most valuable I recall from that collection was Four Color Comics #386.

Well as I grew older eventually I wound up keeping the golden-age Frazetta covers and trading the rest of the books to a local dealer for other Frazetta magazines. And yet even later, I sold those and went off to college. Then came marriage, divorce, child support, multiple jobs, moves etc.

At some point after 30 odd years of hard work life finally "got better" financially and my second wife decided (correctly) the stock market was not for me. So instead of losing money there, I started "re-buying" books I remembered having (Straight Arrow, Bobby Benson, Buster Crabbe #5, some Jo-Jo etc.,) and was happy to re-acquire a Four Color Comics #386.

Then there were the two books I most recall admiring (staring at actually for hours) from those tiny images in the Overstreet guide - Boy #11 and Famous Funnies #209. Back in the day, they seemed a far stretch on my budget of a paper route income - when you had to keep gas in the moped! So, while not the highest grade, nor the rarest, nor the most sought after in my collection, I respectfully submit them here as my flagship books. Opps, that is three - was it supposed to be just one?

FourColor386-739x1024.jpg

File538-687x1024.jpg

71620152-973x1582-630x1024.jpg

Man, your wife is a KEEPER! Great book too wish I had one...

The cover that got me hooked on vintage books:

IncredibleHulk1814copy_zpsa74c485c.jpg

An upgrade from MrBedrock from my original raw VF copy purchased from MrBedrock. IH 181 was ultimately my very first venture into vintage comics purchased several years prior to my first GA.

FourColorComics2009_1_zps361a0d2b.jpg

.... that FC 9 is classic, Minh...... an Icon among Icons.......... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The book or the wife? :P

This book - it's the flagship of my foray into collecting Atomic Age books; it's the center stone to my synchronic (March 1952) collection and the gateway to all comic things 1950's. I have loved learning about that era over the past 15 years. Though the intensity of my focus has shifted over time due to family and work, it's the place I come back to time and time again. I have no deep rooted love for Super-Heroes so the '50's era is best for my interest in 1) Adventure, 2) Western and 3) Funny Animals though Barks' imprint on my young mind is indelible and will drive my nostalgia until the end.

sJLGNSq.jpg

This one book begat this [old pic from a prior home] but you get the sense of the motion that Four Color 386 inspired in me - It's the book that launched a thousand ships ...

1698402-ComicShelves-March07.jpg

This book - it's the flagship of my foray into collecting Atomic Age books; it's the center stone to my synchronic (March 1952) collection and the gateway to all comic things 1950's. I have loved learning about that era over the past 15 years. Though the intensity of my focus has shifted over time due to family and work, it's the place I come back to time and time again. I have no deep rooted love for Super-Heroes so the '50's era is best for my interest in 1) Adventure, 2) Western and 3) Funny Animals though Barks' imprint on my young mind is indelible and will drive my nostalgia until the end.

sJLGNSq.jpg

This one book begat this [old pic from a prior home] but you get the sense of the motion that Four Color 386 inspired in me - It's the book that launched a thousand ships ...

Incredible, and my dream of what a study should look like :o(worship)

:cloud9:

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and, yes, after 23+ years of marriage, I've decided I'll keep my wife. Now, if only she keeps me! :D:wishluck:

sJLGNSq.jpg

Great comic reading area! I hope the new place has an even better one.

sJLGNSq.jpg

..... nice, Mike. Your new comic room, the one with the stripper pole going down to the table is pretty cool though. Is it true you only hire strippers who have been specially trained to not step on the comics ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I posted this around 3 years ago. I was very excited! Still in my top 3 for sure.

HOLY F GUYS!

You know a good day when the first thing you do is pick this up at the post office!

This book...

This S O B of a book...

The one that got away...

I believe it was 10-13 years ago at a Chicago con.. (it feels like hundreds of years ago)

I pulled out a slabbed 0.5 from a random long box.

It was one of those random tables.

You know the ones.

Manned by a desperate yet enthusiastic guy who for some weird reason brought only 2 or 3 boxes...

Not even any comics behind him.

I don't know about you, but I'm usually overly compelled to check these out.

"you never know"

I can still remember my inner dialog as I held a CGC book for the first time.

"Wow what an awesome cover!"

"He says it's rare.. They always say that."

"Man it's supper ripped up! $800?"

"This must be drawn by the same artist who did those old Marvel covers...

"Shomburg? I wonder if he made an artbook."

"He says I won't see this around... Whatever dude.."

"Not restored? What the hell is this restored business?"

"Blue label? I could use some Blue label scotch to help me deal with the air of BS from this guy."

"I need to research this Golden Age stuff. It seems easy to get ripped off."

"CGC.. .What is this.. Seems like an easy way to justify a high price."

"When did comics become baseball cards?... What a gimmick."

"Classic cover? I have no idea.."

"Timely what? It's about time I get in that Kevin Smith line if I want a seat."

"This cover is pretty awesome though, and old. Super old. And awesome."

"I'll just get one that's not graded. Probably waaay cheaper."

"Maybe this guy has some original art"

So I passed...

Around 2007 I decided that the next time I see this book I'm gonna buy it.

I then spent the last 6 years trying to even find the damn thing.

Always just one step ahead of me...

Just one grade above affordable...

Well FINALLY!!

Damn I'm excited haha.

Seriously though.. I'm so glad I took a chance on this Ebay auction.

When I took it out of the box the colors and overall print quality of the cover simply blew me away.

Way more than I hoped for.

I was sitting in my car for like 10 minutes waiting for my brain to turn back on.

I was speechless!

Usually I at least mutter to myself "Not bad.. Not bad..".

Nothing to say or think this time.

Anyways, I wish you all some great mornings like mine!

Anyone a previous owner of this beauty?

I'll post some more pics later.

9972827656_67c6ea28e5_b.jpg

sJLGNSq.jpg

Wow! My wife wants us to move back to Oklahoma. I think I will make having a room like this a requirement. :wishluck: