• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Flagship book?

122 posts in this topic

I posted this around 3 years ago. I was very excited! Still in my top 3 for sure.

HOLY F GUYS!

You know a good day when the first thing you do is pick this up at the post office!

This book...

This S O B of a book...

The one that got away...

I believe it was 10-13 years ago at a Chicago con.. (it feels like hundreds of years ago)

I pulled out a slabbed 0.5 from a random long box.

It was one of those random tables.

You know the ones.

Manned by a desperate yet enthusiastic guy who for some weird reason brought only 2 or 3 boxes...

Not even any comics behind him.

I don't know about you, but I'm usually overly compelled to check these out.

"you never know"

I can still remember my inner dialog as I held a CGC book for the first time.

"Wow what an awesome cover!"

"He says it's rare.. They always say that."

"Man it's supper ripped up! $800?"

"This must be drawn by the same artist who did those old Marvel covers...

"Shomburg? I wonder if he made an artbook."

"He says I won't see this around... Whatever dude.."

"Not restored? What the hell is this restored business?"

"Blue label? I could use some Blue label scotch to help me deal with the air of BS from this guy."

"I need to research this Golden Age stuff. It seems easy to get ripped off."

"CGC.. .What is this.. Seems like an easy way to justify a high price."

"When did comics become baseball cards?... What a gimmick."

"Classic cover? I have no idea.."

"Timely what? It's about time I get in that Kevin Smith line if I want a seat."

"This cover is pretty awesome though, and old. Super old. And awesome."

"I'll just get one that's not graded. Probably waaay cheaper."

"Maybe this guy has some original art"

So I passed...

Around 2007 I decided that the next time I see this book I'm gonna buy it.

I then spent the last 6 years trying to even find the damn thing.

Always just one step ahead of me...

Just one grade above affordable...

Well FINALLY!!

Damn I'm excited haha.

Seriously though.. I'm so glad I took a chance on this Ebay auction.

When I took it out of the box the colors and overall print quality of the cover simply blew me away.

Way more than I hoped for.

I was sitting in my car for like 10 minutes waiting for my brain to turn back on.

I was speechless!

Usually I at least mutter to myself "Not bad.. Not bad..".

Nothing to say or think this time.

Anyways, I wish you all some great mornings like mine!

Anyone a previous owner of this beauty?

I'll post some more pics later.

9972827656_67c6ea28e5_b.jpg

Awesome! :applause:

This book - it's the flagship of my foray into collecting Atomic Age books; it's the center stone to my synchronic (March 1952) collection and the gateway to all comic things 1950's. I have loved learning about that era over the past 15 years. Though the intensity of my focus has shifted over time due to family and work, it's the place I come back to time and time again. I have no deep rooted love for Super-Heroes so the '50's era is best for my interest in 1) Adventure, 2) Western and 3) Funny Animals though Barks' imprint on my young mind is indelible and will drive my nostalgia until the end.

sJLGNSq.jpg

This one book begat this [old pic from a prior home] but you get the sense of the motion that Four Color 386 inspired in me - It's the book that launched a thousand ships ...

1698402-ComicShelves-March07.jpg

Wow Scrooge, just Wow! Maybe the coolest comic room I have ever seen. If it were my room, I'd have all my toys on the top shelf. That's like King Tut's tomb for comic collectors.

And since you are such a Scrooge fan, you might appreciate this #1-40 in two volumes

unclescroogeboundvolume1_zpsg52wbwwj.jpg

unclescroogeboundvolume2_zpsoqbqmpxi.jpg

unclescroogeboundvolume3_zpsn73kxq0r.jpg

unclescroogeboundvolume4_zpsevvcn1i7.jpg

unclescroogeboundvolume5_zpsfxlfe6x2.jpg

unclescroogeboundvolume6_zpsrhh6phtb.jpg

I posted this around 3 years ago. I was very excited! Still in my top 3 for sure.

HOLY F GUYS!

You know a good day when the first thing you do is pick this up at the post office!

This book...

This S O B of a book...

The one that got away...

I believe it was 10-13 years ago at a Chicago con.. (it feels like hundreds of years ago)

I pulled out a slabbed 0.5 from a random long box.

It was one of those random tables.

You know the ones.

Manned by a desperate yet enthusiastic guy who for some weird reason brought only 2 or 3 boxes...

Not even any comics behind him.

I don't know about you, but I'm usually overly compelled to check these out.

"you never know"

I can still remember my inner dialog as I held a CGC book for the first time.

"Wow what an awesome cover!"

"He says it's rare.. They always say that."

"Man it's supper ripped up! $800?"

"This must be drawn by the same artist who did those old Marvel covers...

"Shomburg? I wonder if he made an artbook."

"He says I won't see this around... Whatever dude.."

"Not restored? What the hell is this restored business?"

"Blue label? I could use some Blue label scotch to help me deal with the air of BS from this guy."

"I need to research this Golden Age stuff. It seems easy to get ripped off."

"CGC.. .What is this.. Seems like an easy way to justify a high price."

"When did comics become baseball cards?... What a gimmick."

"Classic cover? I have no idea.."

"Timely what? It's about time I get in that Kevin Smith line if I want a seat."

"This cover is pretty awesome though, and old. Super old. And awesome."

"I'll just get one that's not graded. Probably waaay cheaper."

"Maybe this guy has some original art"

So I passed...

Around 2007 I decided that the next time I see this book I'm gonna buy it.

I then spent the last 6 years trying to even find the damn thing.

Always just one step ahead of me...

Just one grade above affordable...

Well FINALLY!!

Damn I'm excited haha.

Seriously though.. I'm so glad I took a chance on this Ebay auction.

When I took it out of the box the colors and overall print quality of the cover simply blew me away.

Way more than I hoped for.

I was sitting in my car for like 10 minutes waiting for my brain to turn back on.

I was speechless!

Usually I at least mutter to myself "Not bad.. Not bad..".

Nothing to say or think this time.

Anyways, I wish you all some great mornings like mine!

Anyone a previous owner of this beauty?

I'll post some more pics later.

9972827656_67c6ea28e5_b.jpg

That's amazing :o

Nothing will ever beat that feeling of finally obtaining a copy after searching for that long

Pretty neat books in this thread so far. Pretty hard to top a Bat 1, that sweet Frazetta sig story (I was also gonna mention the ink bleed but I see someone beat me to it!!), and a first book bought off the racks which just so happens to be such an AWESOME book. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this book again I have shared it several times but this would definitely be considered my, "FLAG"ship book. I remember when I got into GA books I had located an All American 61 and I was enthralled with finding books that had monsters on them or had patriotic covers given how entrenched we were into the war at the time of these books and when the 2 ideas got mixed how cool the covers could be. I had typed in Flag covers and somehow got an image of Our Flag Comics and saw the #5. I instantly put it on my watch list on eBay. Guess what...not a single copy ever popped up. It took me quite a while to learn that this book was pretty tough to locate. I joined the boards and saw 2 different copies and the obsession with finding one became even greater. Finally landed this copy and it was low grade but presented nicely which fit so well into my collection that I had already acquired in the meantime. The fact that the word Flag is in the title is only coincidence :D

I have seen only three copies of this book in forty years of collecting!

18745080772_47584779f0_b.jpg

This book - it's the flagship of my foray into collecting Atomic Age books; it's the center stone to my synchronic (March 1952) collection and the gateway to all comic things 1950's. I have loved learning about that era over the past 15 years. Though the intensity of my focus has shifted over time due to family and work, it's the place I come back to time and time again. I have no deep rooted love for Super-Heroes so the '50's era is best for my interest in 1) Adventure, 2) Western and 3) Funny Animals though Barks' imprint on my young mind is indelible and will drive my nostalgia until the end.

sJLGNSq.jpg

This one book begat this [old pic from a prior home] but you get the sense of the motion that Four Color 386 inspired in me - It's the book that launched a thousand ships ...

That comic room was BOSS (worship)

sJLGNSq.jpg

With a fleet like that I hope your vessels were properly launched with champaign on the bow! Speaking of which, you should take one for sharing that photo. :applause:

This one probably.

Mask 1 Church

mask1.jpg

:o wow (worship)

Absolutely love the glowing colors on the cover of this book. (thumbs u

I remember seeing this copy through the window of the mahogany display case in the Diamond Int'l Galleries Library during their big grand opening back in the mid 90's. An absolute sight to behold as it was sitting their on prominent display right next to the stunning Church copy of Suspense 8 with the classic spider cover. :cloud9:

Well, I did omit a couple of FINE Flagships due to space (short box cutbacks)... groucho.gif

Bee Class Bruisin' Cruiser...

84c714e8-9a3c-4572-a7bf-b309a2dbfd77_zpsvpybtkrn.jpg

+1

I've always loved this cover and the detailed background artwork that has gone into it. (thumbs u

Personally, I feel that this cover is very much under appreciated and almost forgotten in comparison to some of Fine's other more recognized classic covers. hm

I've been in and out of comics many, many times through the years and I've had many flagships as a result. Unfortunately, when I get out of comics I tend to sell them so my past flagships have sailed to better waters. :( The last time I jumped back into comics I decided to go after GA in a serious way and I started to purchase Timely when ever I had the money (and sometimes when I didn't :blush: ).

In 2014, my wife took me to SDCC and she even insisted I find a $10k+ book to commemorate the trip! All Select #1 was a book I drooled over in the the little pictures within Overstreet back in the day. Living in back woods Oklahoma, and being Federal housing assistance level poor, I really never expected to own a copy let alone be somewhere to view in person. Finding this copy was almost a religious experience for me. My wife made me submit it to CGC because every time she turned around I had it back out of its Mylar and was reading it again! There is no tanning browning or any other discoloration on this book and its bone white covers kept calling to me. :D

Big thank you to Vincent and Frank at Metropolis for working with me so that I could buy this book.

as1_front_cgc_zpssxm6mfi7.jpg

Congrats on picking up what is not only one of Schomburg's top books, but also what is most definitely considered by many long-term collectors as one of the top GA covers out there. :applause:

BTW: Your wife sounds like a definite keeper. (thumbs u

It blows my mind Gary!

I had two of these at one time, this is an 8.0 but the other was a 9.0. I sold the 9.0 because of the "attachment" I have to this copy. I can't imagine selling it, but who knows what the future holds for we collectors...

It blows my mind Gary!

I had two of these at one time, this is an 8.0 but the other was a 9.0. I sold the 9.0 because of the "attachment" I have to this copy. I can't imagine selling it, but who knows what the future holds for we collectors...

... I think this pretty much sums up what a flagship book is...... and what a choice you have :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Did you write in the price? :insane:

If he had written it there would be a lot more numbers in front of the decimal.

This one probably.

Mask 1 Church

mask1.jpg

:o wow (worship)

Absolutely love the glowing colors on the cover of this book. (thumbs u

I remember seeing this copy through the window of the mahogany display case in the Diamond Int'l Galleries Library during their big grand opening back in the mid 90's. An absolute sight to behold as it was sitting their on prominent display right next to the stunning Church copy of Suspense 8 with the classic spider cover. :cloud9:

That's cool. Didn't realize it had been there. Thanks for sharing!