• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fan Expo now doing their own mystery boxes

37 posts in this topic

I hear you, with all the variants of this book it is lol

But for those who didn't get their variant/reprint(?) fill:

did they just do this via email? couldn't find it under fan expo store...?

Also, under the most expensive mystery box, they gaurantee a black and white "virgin cover"

while, under their store, you can get a "vigin cover"=color if you order all 3 variants....

CHEAPER THAN BA 12 lol

But this marketing is so blatantly lol I miss being younger and saying "oh, cool" and not over thinking haha (I've sold off all my variant/reprints of BA 12) I'll stare at my BA 12 first print and wonder if these reissues will be the downfall of this book :cry:

That is particularly appalling.

Why?

Fan Expo bought out Four Colour Grails - arguably - the first company to focus on mystery comic variant boxes.

That added with the success of the Mega Con, Fan Expo and Fan Expo Vancouver Batman 12 variants... this seems right up their alley..

I dunno, it sounds like a limited thing for christmas, not really competition with the dealers so much. for a girlfriend who doesn't know what to buy her comic dork boyfriend for the holidays it doesn't sound too bad.

heck, when carbonaro ran the NYC shows he'd put his own tables right at the entrance.

I've always wanted to buy one..... I don't really know why, but I've resisted the urge at con's for sure things......it's kinda like lootcrate I see on Facebook, I mean it has to stay in business somehow....

No, Because there are still guys like me who dont own an original BA12 haha and by the looks of things ill never be able to get one.

Are you particular on grade ??

They have come down a bit, makes what I paid for a newstand copy look overpayed for...

If you go by Half Price Books or something check the kids section, it'd be a reader but idk

I couldn't hold out for a 9.8 myself, is why I went for newstand idk

No, Because there are still guys like me who dont own an original BA12 haha and by the looks of things ill never be able to get one.

Are you particular on grade ??

They have come down a bit, makes what I paid for a newstand copy look overpayed for...

If you go by Half Price Books or something check the kids section, it'd be a reader but idk

I couldn't hold out for a 9.8 myself, is why I went for newstand idk

Id be happy with a 9.4 or 9.6 But I have too much money invested in other books. (Tonnes of celeb signed comics) Just need to find someone who would be up for a trade :)

Why?

Fan Expo bought out Four Colour Grails - arguably - the first company to focus on mystery comic variant boxes.

That added with the success of the Mega Con, Fan Expo and Fan Expo Vancouver Batman 12 variants... this seems right up their alley..

I've witnessed 8-12ish year old kids crying on the show floor when they opened their "mystery box". It was clear that was the majority of/or all of their budget for the con. I know, life's a good teacher and all of that but how many kids get burned and never come back to the hobby? Just a crappy, surely for many, first comic convention experience.

It's limited - it says "3 days only".

It's not something being offered at the show this weekend in Toronto... or at future shows as far as I know... so I don't get the competition angle... we have always had a store with exclusives at all of the shows with these items individually priced... now they are boxing up some of the remaining exclusive comics and we have lots of signed celebrity photos from over the years in the archive plus a Funko Pop and offering something unique for a few days to see if anyone wants them for themselves or to give to someone as a Christmas gift... but the BA12 Black and White Virgin cover hasn't been offered anywhere else before this.

But I think it's pretty easy to make a buy or not buy decision on this, you care or you don't.

Why?

I've witnessed 8-12ish year old kids crying on the show floor when they opened their "mystery box". It was clear that was the majority of/or all of their budget for the con. I know, life's a good teacher and all of that but how many kids get burned and never come back to the hobby? Just a crappy, surely for many, first comic convention experience.

Witnessed this first hand this year in toronto. Those crappy yellow mystery boxes being sold by a girl dressed as Super Mario with a megaphone. It was almost circus carny like haha This kid got a bunch of junk in his and was really upset so I gave him a signed Dan Slott spidey book and made his day. Needed to earn some good karma back for harassing Kevin about the foils lol

The Black and White virgin cover seems interesting, especially as Kevin said this is the only place its being offered, but I wont take a chance on it getting thrashed in the mail. Im not sure how the fan ex store packs stuff.