• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fan Expo now doing their own mystery boxes

37 posts in this topic

It's limited - it says "3 days only".

It's not something being offered at the show this weekend in Toronto... or at future shows as far as I know... so I don't get the competition angle... we have always had a store with exclusives at all of the shows with these items individually priced... now they are boxing up some of the remaining exclusive comics and we have lots of signed celebrity photos from over the years in the archive plus a Funko Pop and offering something unique for a few days to see if anyone wants them for themselves or to give to someone as a Christmas gift... but the BA12 Black and White Virgin cover hasn't been offered anywhere else before this.

But I think it's pretty easy to make a buy or not buy decision on this, you care or you don't.

So your saying I don't get one as a welcome package :baiting:

That is particularly appalling.

Why?

Fan Expo bought out Four Colour Grails - arguably - the first company to focus on mystery comic variant boxes.

That added with the success of the Mega Con, Fan Expo and Fan Expo Vancouver Batman 12 variants... this seems right up their alley..

I've witnessed 8-12ish year old kids crying on the show floor when they opened their "mystery box". It was clear that was the majority of/or all of their budget for the con. I know, life's a good teacher and all of that but how many kids get burned and never come back to the hobby? Just a crappy, surely for many, first comic convention experience.

Where are the parents? Why is anybody allowing their child to buy something that they don't what they are getting?

I have no idea why anybody in their right mind would ever buy a "mystery box".

Jim

Why?

Fan Expo bought out Four Colour Grails - arguably - the first company to focus on mystery comic variant boxes.

That added with the success of the Mega Con, Fan Expo and Fan Expo Vancouver Batman 12 variants... this seems right up their alley..

I've witnessed 8-12ish year old kids crying on the show floor when they opened their "mystery box". It was clear that was the majority of/or all of their budget for the con. I know, life's a good teacher and all of that but how many kids get burned and never come back to the hobby? Just a crappy, surely for many, first comic convention experience.

Where are the parents? Why is anybody allowing their child to buy something that they don't what they are getting?

Jim

maybe they are off dressed up like Harley Quinn while daddy is off running around the con :baiting:

b50370c67f8fc03b933d235ec9fa8e01.jpg

Why?

Jim

Jim,

That is a whole different discussion but take it from a guy who has done 100's of conventions. Parents aren't always there and/or are also gullible. My point is there is no need to fleece anyone (especially a child). Get up, go to work, do right. Not much more to it than that.

Why?

Witnessed this first hand this year in toronto. Those crappy yellow mystery boxes being sold by a girl dressed as Super Mario with a megaphone. It was almost circus carny like haha This kid got a bunch of junk in his and was really upset so I gave him a signed Dan Slott spidey book and made his day. Needed to earn some good karma back for harassing Kevin about the foils lol

The Black and White virgin cover seems interesting, especially as Kevin said this is the only place its being offered, but I wont take a chance on it getting thrashed in the mail. Im not sure how the fan ex store packs stuff.

She was awful.

No, Because there are still guys like me who dont own an original BA12 haha and by the looks of things ill never be able to get one.

Are you particular on grade ??

They have come down a bit, makes what I paid for a newstand copy look overpayed for...

If you go by Half Price Books or something check the kids section, it'd be a reader but idk

I couldn't hold out for a 9.8 myself, is why I went for newstand idk

Nice looking copies of NM 98 are now under $200 as well.

Why?

What were the kids thinking they'd get?

The key is don't fleece anyone I suppose. Based on what I see described I have no idea if this is a "good" deal because I don't know diddly about variants.

Why?

The key is don't fleece anyone I suppose. Based on what I see described I have no idea if this is a "good" deal because I don't know diddly about variants.

I'm uncertain what they expected to receive. What I am certain of is they were disappointed.

Why?

9 times out of 10, if you want specific variants then buy the specific variants. It would appear that anything available in their mystery boxes would be available from their store, so if you want something just buy it. Spending any money on the mystery box hoping for something doesn't make much sense.

I'm still disturbed by Fan Expo making these available, whether it is for three days (this time) or not. Does anyone really think that they wouldn't do this at a show if they thought they could make money doing it? If they blow out all 500 of these in three days, why wouldn't they keep going at shows or through other web deals?

got my box today.

Batman Adventure #12 Virgin Bruce Tim Cover

Sells for ???

Angry Groot funko pop

Sells for $30

Champions #1 Fan Expo Colour - sells for $10

Civil War II #0 Dodson Sells for $15 if you're lucky

Futures End #1 Fan Expo variant - Fan Expo ebay store couldn't sell any copies of this for $15 in the past 6 months so lets say $10 knowing it doesn't sell for that much

ASSASSIN'S CREED #1 TITAN COMICS Sketch limited to 400 copies

Fan Expo ebay couldnt sell these for $25 in the last 6 months so lets say $15. This cover looks neat.

My Little Pony #22 Fan Expo exclusive

Sells for $20 all day

Celebrity Autograph Christian Slater.

Sells for ???

His signature sells for $10 to $50 on a photo - this photo is very pixelated.

so we're looking at $140 worth of goods plus the Batman Adventure #12.

It cost me $70 plus shipping and was supposed to have a value of $200 USD.

Is the Batman Adventure worth $60? I'm not sure.

SO in short - the fan Expo Mystery Box is exactly what was advertised and I am happy to get the Batman Adventures #12, angry Groot Pop and another Christian Slater signature.

got my box today.

Batman Adventure #12 Virgin Bruce Tim Cover

Sells for ???

Angry Groot funko pop

Sells for $30

Champions #1 Fan Expo Colour - sells for $10

Civil War II #0 Dodson Sells for $15 if you're lucky

Futures End #1 Fan Expo variant - Fan Expo ebay store couldn't sell any copies of this for $15 in the past 6 months so lets say $10 knowing it doesn't sell for that much

ASSASSIN'S CREED #1 TITAN COMICS Sketch limited to 400 copies

Fan Expo ebay couldnt sell these for $25 in the last 6 months so lets say $15. This cover looks neat.

My Little Pony #22 Fan Expo exclusive

Sells for $20 all day

Celebrity Autograph Christian Slater.

Sells for ???

His signature sells for $10 to $50 on a photo - this photo is very pixelated.

so we're looking at $140 worth of goods plus the Batman Adventure #12.

It cost me $70 plus shipping and was supposed to have a value of $200 USD.

Is the Batman Adventure worth $60? I'm not sure.

SO in short - the fan Expo Mystery Box is exactly what was advertised and I am happy to get the Batman Adventures #12, angry Groot Pop and another Christian Slater signature.

From what Kevin said these mystery boxes are the only place to get the black and white virgin cover. The color virgin cover was available at fan ex vancouver and probably still on their store.

Interested to hear from other people on what they got!

I said it too lol

about the virgin cover in the mystery box it is a black and white.... the color version is if you buy all the variants color and sketch.... then you also get the color virgin cover, But I get it I'm new :baiting:rantrant:blahblah::insane::kidaround:

I think that the autographed photo's are cool; js

was it just a profile pick of Slater? or a pick portrayed from a movie??

either way glad your happy :)

A picture of the picture I got can be found here, sorry I am not uploading it lol

https://www.instagram.com/jimmylinguinicbsi/

When I met Slater at a Fan Expo event it was very hard to get access to Slater, so I imagine not a lot of these got done.