• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And its on to ComicConnect !

300 posts in this topic

Contributing to that are the extreme views about the importance of the label number. In the CC auction we saw an Iron Man #30, which cannot be reasonably argued as an important key (much less explained as such to a civilian) and numbers in the thousands or even tens of thousands of extant copies, sell for about as much as an example of Marvel's very first printed attempt at a superhero, which numbers about ten extant copies.

wait, what? An IM #30 sold for $15K?

It has that great Iron Man story in it.

what is it about there books that make them so undesirable?

There's restored then there's Super-Duper-Restored-on-steroids (IGB).

The one that started it all ...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9028802

and then there's this ( where things really blew up )

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9068016

Thanks, Peter.

I did not get through all the pages in those threads yet, however, I appreciate you providing those links.

Does anyone know how much (how big of a piece) can be added to a book, before it simply is considered an incomplete book? Does this depend on the grading company?

For example, clearly a book with a Xerox cover (or I would think any other totally recreated cover), would not be considered a "complete book.(even if everything else was present and in perfect condition). So what if half the front cover is missing and "recreated"? At what point do grading companies stop using the term "extensive restoration" and move to something else (such as "incomplete with Xerox cover" or "incomplete, page 5 recreated" or whatever??? Does anyone know?

Thanks, Peter.

I did not get through all the pages in those threads yet, however, I appreciate you providing those links.

Does anyone know how much (how big of a piece) can be added to a book, before it simply is considered an incomplete book? Does this depend on the grading company?

For example, clearly a book with a Xerox cover (or I would think any other totally recreated cover), would not be considered a "complete book.(even if everything else was present and in perfect condition). So what if half the front cover is missing and "recreated"? At what point do grading companies stop using the term "extensive restoration" and move to something else (such as "incomplete with Xerox cover" or "incomplete, page 5 recreated" or whatever??? Does anyone know?

A large part of that question should be "Can the grading companies tell if a large piece is original or reproduction if there is a complete layer of color and gloss added on both sides of the paper?"

Contributing to that are the extreme views about the importance of the label number. In the CC auction we saw an Iron Man #30, which cannot be reasonably argued as an important key (much less explained as such to a civilian) and numbers in the thousands or even tens of thousands of extant copies, sell for about as much as an example of Marvel's very first printed attempt at a superhero, which numbers about ten extant copies.

That happened? ??? Not sure how to check completed auction on CConnect.

This cannot be serious :o

It is Link

It is Link

:roflmao: "only 9.8 in the universe"

Wasn't there a TOS 39 IGB in this auction?

They spat out at least 2 super high grade recreations in the past. Didn't notice a 9.6 or 9.8 in this auction, but if so possibly a past buyer getting rid of his junk. (shrug)

I missed it, but it appears there was one TOS 39 link

Man, that seems awfully cheap. Hard to believe they can make anything selling at that price.

I do not want to sound like the stupid person in the room, but what is it about there books that make them so undesirable?

I am NOT a big fan of restoration and I do not own any of these books, I am just wondering what makes them worse than other restored books.

Is it the amount of restoration being done? I see "pieces added", which always bothers me. I always wonder things like "how big of a piece". If half the cover is missing and someone "recreates" it, is it a "piece added"?

As always it is a question of not knowing exactly what was done and people at opposite ends of the extreme. Some people will say there's no amount of restoration that's acceptable so every book might as well be 99 percent recreated. And then you have people who think that if you're going to seal a tear with visible archive tape just to hold it together well then hell you might as well repaint the entire thing and make it look like a 9.6. And the people in the middle who say that resto is okay I just want to know how much was done and whether it's reversirble, etc. they are not served.

IM 30 has a Bill Everett cover, while MPFW just has an Everett interior. (:

THAT explains it. My bad.

It has that great Iron Man story in it.

Plus a cover image that highlights the back of his armor

Thanks, Peter.

I've had friends who bought classic restored cars and received with the car a detailed description of every repair, every replacement, down to every nut or bolt that was "original", modified original" or "replaced with modern replica".

I do not want to sound like the stupid person in the room, but what is it about there books that make them so undesirable?

I am NOT a big fan of restoration and I do not own any of these books, I am just wondering what makes them worse than other restored books.

Is it the amount of restoration being done? I see "pieces added", which always bothers me. I always wonder things like "how big of a piece". If half the cover is missing and someone "recreates" it, is it a "piece added"?

It`s just hypocrisy. These are the same people who get all over the case of any person who speaks critically of any restoration, and now they`re critical if there`s "too much" restoration.

The politically correct atmosphere that they created in which restoration was accepted, and even encouraged, has allowed these new frankenbooks to come into existence. They created the slippery slope and are now dismayed at where that slippery slope has led.

It is Link

Makes complete sense.

After all the last 9.6 sold for $58.

It is Link

Makes complete sense.

lol

It`s just hypocrisy. These are the same people who get all over the case of any person who speaks critically of any restoration, and now they`re critical if there`s "too much" restoration.

The politically correct atmosphere that they created in which restoration was accepted, and even encouraged, has allowed these new frankenbooks to come into existence. They created the slippery slope and are now dismayed at where that slippery slope has led.

That is unfair and sounds like it comes from a view that opposes any restoration at all and encourages condemnation of all restored books as tainted or "desecrated" regardless of the amount of work done..

There are many people who believe the best view of restoration is that it should be reversible and best when described in detail, something which is not being done by IGB. So it is not hypocrisy for them to say restoration is okay when I can tell what's been done but they don't like it when it's been made impossible to determine the extent of it.

It is Link

Makes complete sense.

Craziest sale price I have seen all year, and that is saying something.

It is Link

Makes complete sense.

IMO thats why prices are so high people with money go to the movies see that there are iron-man this and that and read highest grade and buy it.I dont think they are really sure if they got deal or not or know the Diff from Suspence 39 or this book. :screwy:

It is Link

Makes complete sense.

IMO thats why prices are so high people with money go to the movies see that there are iron-man this and that and read highest grade and buy it.I dont think they are really sure if they got deal or not or know the Diff from Suspence 39 or this book. :screwy:

Probably just two deep-pocketed Iron Man high grade registry guys going head to head. Only one 9.8, and things got out of hand.

That's the power of auctions. The first person to come to their senses loses.