• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your TOP CENSUS copies

447 posts in this topic

I bought a lot of them from Keith Contarino about 8 years ago, stuck them in the back of the pile and forgot about them until I got them slabbed. The 169 I bought raw 20 years ago.

Keith Contarino is the main reason i started collecting high grade books in the first place. We worked together, then i brought a bunch of books from him and still have some of them till this day.

Eclectic showing so far, to say the least, of world's best copies. Here is the only 9.8 I own, one of 5 in the current census for this issue, and another great find made years ago in my LCS (my OO copy went right to my son after I found this beauty):

asm120.jpg

Sweet Spidey 104 i have mine at CGC right now. thumbsup2.gif

Don't you dare pull a 9.8! insane.gif Seriously, good luck and let us know how it turns out. The ish has one of my favorite Gil Kane Spidey covers of all.

Here's a few:

Herobear and the Kid #1 (1 of 2 unsigned, there are also 3 signed 9.8s):

Herobear_1s.jpg

Astonishing Tales #36, 30 Cent Variant. I sold this to Norrin, but the slab got damaged in the mail, so it's mine again:

AT36.jpg

House of Secrets #117:

HOS117.jpg

This is the thread to show off in, and post your slabbed books that currently have the highest grade in the census. If you'd like, tell us about how you acquired the world's finest known copy. All genres welcome!

I have several Modern top copies, but this is the oldest I have. Bought it from 'spectre52' last year.

That's Matt Nelson of Classic Conservations, Inc. gossip.gif

Sweet book! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

It is strange that the book is so tough to find in high grade, especially considering that it was part of the Mile High 2 find and was present in such high quantities that Chuck was guaranteeing Near Mint condition copies of #104 to all of his customers in his nationwide ads. For most books where he guaranteed NM copies (like Hulk 181, for example) there are zillions of high grade copies in the census. It's weird that ASM #104 hasn't followed suit, but it's certainly true that you just don't see ultra HG copies of it like you do the surrounding issues.

This is the thread to show off in, and post your slabbed books that currently have the highest grade in the census. If you'd like, tell us about how you acquired the world's finest known copy. All genres welcome!

To start off, here is the toughest Bronze Age Spidey to find in top shape owing to the black cover, and this copy is tied with 5 others currently. I have an OO copy of this book that is fairly nice, but when looking at back issue bins in my LCS in the days before CGC, I came across a run of about 15 pristine ASMs that the shop had just purchased. I think I paid 50% over Overstreet NM guide for this one:

Astonishing Tales #36, 30 Cent Variant. I sold this to Norrin, but the slab got damaged in the mail, so it's mine again:

AT36.jpg

hi.gif Anyway I can make good on having this copy already entered in my registry set? tongue.gif LMK

oh and since we are on top census copies...

acclaim.gif

I know of 2 other board memebers who have similar copies

origin1cgc10.jpg

First 9.8 price variant on the census...

conan61varcgc98.jpg

Valiantman said at one point that this was the earliest SA DC 9.8. Don`t know if it still is, but I think I`ll keep it anyway. grin.gif

showcase38.jpg

It looks like copies of Flash #149 (12/1964) have been graded CGC 9.8...

so now it's third... behind Justice League of America 37 (8/1965).

Still nice, though! thumbsup2.gif

Astonishing Tales #36, 30 Cent Variant. I sold this to Norrin, but the slab got damaged in the mail, so it's mine again.

frown.gif

It would have gone so well with my top census 9.0 WWBN #39 that I bought from Stronguy. (I don't have a scan handy)

As far as I know, this is not only the highest graded Jughead as Capt. Hero #1, but also the highest grade ever given to an Archie smile.gif

685770-jhch.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

You're right... though, I don't know if Super Heroes Versus Super Villains 1 (1966)

might be older (but only by a few months, if at all).

(Does it count as an Archie?) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif