• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic book is Aquaman's 1st silver age appearance?

97 posts in this topic

What was Aquaman's last appearance before Adventure 260? How many years was he absent from comics?

Adventure 259. He didn't have a break. From More Fun #107, he swims over to Adventure #103 (April 1946) and appears continuously in back-up features until Adventure #284. Then he switches over to Showcase 30 for 3 issues I believe it was, then swims over to his own name title Aquaman.

I tend to "value" (whatever that means) the Adv 260 the most, especially since it is the hardest to find even in mid-grade.

Based on the CGC census:

Adventure 260:

130 universal labels

46 in 7.0 or higher

Showcase 30:

329 universal labels

116 in 7.0 or higher

The OP asked which is Aquaman's 1st SA appearance. Definitely Adv 260. Which is the 'better book"? That is opinion. Sure the market flocks more to to SC 30, but I would tell the OP to pick up the less common book first, which I think is undervalued. Agree with others, buy the book you like, and then buy the book you didn't quite as much as the book you ended up buying first.

I tend to "value" (whatever that means) the Adv 260 the most, especially since it is the hardest to find even in mid-grade.

Based on the CGC census:

Adventure 260:

130 universal labels

46 in 7.0 or higher

Showcase 30:

329 universal labels

116 in 7.0 or higher

The OP asked which is Aquaman's 1st SA appearance. Definitely Adv 260. Which is the 'better book"? That is opinion. Sure the market flocks more to to SC 30, but I would tell the OP to pick up the less common book first, which I think is undervalued. Agree with others, buy the book you like, and then buy the book you didn't quite as much as the book you ended up buying first.

I am not sure if AD 260 is that uncommon , cgc census is not very accurate for this kind of info since not all the people slabs his copy and some people are using cbcs now , on this case Showcase 30 has more slabbed copies because it is more popular , but more Ad 260 copies had been showing lately at ebay , now we have 26 copies for sale at ebay ,i remember that finding a copy was difficult at the beggining of 2016

Edited by Mijael.Levy

but more Ad 260 copies had been showing lately at ebay , now we have 26 copies for sale at ebay ,i remember that finding a copy was difficult at the beggining of 2016

26 copies for sale on eBay ... and nothing higher than a single 6.5 copy.

Is it Adventure Comics 260 or is Showcase 30 or is it another book (it says origin and tryout but does not say 1st appearance)?

I am asking because I would like to add one to my collection some time in 2017.

Showcase 30 is the more significant key. That's not a put down on 260- a key for Aquaman collectors.

This question was raised in a prior thread concerning which of the two books was the more important key. Adventure Comics 260 is the SA origin issue but Showcase 30 is the first Aquaman in a book of his own. Period. (thumbs u

Best,

John

So what? (shrug)

Is Superman 1 more significant than Action Comics 1?

Regardless, the question was about Aquaman's first SA appearance, which is pretty clearly Adventure Comics 260.

Is it Adventure Comics 260 or is Showcase 30 or is it another book (it says origin and tryout but does not say 1st appearance)?

Showcase 30 is the more significant key. That's not a put down on 260- a key for Aquaman collectors.

This question was raised in a prior thread concerning which of the two books was the more important key. Adventure Comics 260 is the SA origin issue but Showcase 30 is the first Aquaman in a book of his own. Period. (thumbs u

Best,

John

So what? (shrug)

Regardless, the question was about Aquaman's first SA appearance, which is pretty clearly Adventure Comics 260.

Thats Aquaman origin ( Adventure C 260) , first SA app is Adventure Comics 229 published in October 1956 .Same month than Showcase 4 in fact they have the same ad on the back cover .. Writers instead of creating a new character like Flash or Green Lantern just gave Aquaman a pet called Topo

Edited by Mijael.Levy

I don't think the Action 1/Superman 1 analogy is apples to apples, even though they both contain Superman origin stories. I think it's more like Superman 1 (first own book) to Superman #53 (first fleshed out, detailed origin).

I'm glad this thread has me thinking about, because my own confusion about what's truly key has kept me from pulling the trigger. Unlike Flash and GL, he's still the same character, but he does get a drastically different origin in #260.

Because Aquaman had ongoing continuity at the time, it's like his Showcase 4/22 moment comes in 260, and Showcase 30 is his 105/GL 1.

I think I just talked myself into both and reaffirmed my long-held position, across various price points for yeeears now, that Aquaman #1 is overvalued.

Best,

John

So what? (shrug)

Thats Aquaman origin ( Adventure C 260) , first SA app is Adventure Comics 229 published in October 1956 .Same month than Showcase 4 in fact they have the same ad on the back cover .. Writers instead of creating a new character like Flash or Green Lantern just gave Aquaman a pet called Topo

Adventure 229 holds no water. Adventure 229 is not the first SA Aquaman. If that were so, than Wonder Woman 98 would not be the first SA WW. If you want to get really technical, the first time Aquaman was published in the SA is that issue of Adventure published in November 1955 when Detective 225 was published.

II think I just talked myself into both and reaffirmed my long-held position, across various price points for yeeears now, that Aquaman #1 is overvalued.

Aqua 1 is certainly the least tough of the 3 Aquaman big keys.

Edited by zosocane

Best,

John

So what? (shrug)

I always get a kick out of someone who deconstructs my argument to serve their own purpose. Try understanding what I wrote when you read it.

A major change to a character is still more important than a solo appearance in an issue of a tryout title. It's not like that solo book resulted in Aquaman getting his own series that ran uninterrupted for the next 55 25 or 50 (CoIE or the New 52 may have caused a reboot regardless) years.

Hell, even BB 28 and getting to play with the big boys (and Wonder Woman) is probably more significant since Aquaman has made more appearances with the Justice League than he has in his own titles.

A major change to a character is still more important than a solo appearance in an issue of a tryout title. It's not like that solo book resulted in Aquaman getting his own series that ran uninterrupted for the next 55 25 or 50 (CoIE or the New 52 may have caused a reboot regardless) years.

Hell, even BB 28 and getting to play with the big boys (and Wonder Woman) is probably more significant since Aquaman has made more appearances with the Justice League than he has in his own titles.

You really don't get it.

This is something that you have said that I do agree with.

I have always stated that showcase 30 is certainly not a "key" or relevant nor important book for anyone other than diehard Aquaman fans or SA Showcase completionists. MULTIPLE prior appearances in BB and Adv 260 before that revamping his origin seals its fate. (No offense intended to those who are among that group of collectors and are fans of the book.)

-J.

I have always stated that showcase 30 is certainly not a "key" or relevant nor important book for anyone other than diehard Aquaman fans or SA Showcase completionists. MULTIPLE prior appearances in BB and Adv 260 before that revamping his origin seals its fate. (No offense intended to those who are among that group of collectors and are fans of the book.)

-J.

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's a stretch to take the position that SC 30 is neither a key nor a relevant book nor important book to collectors generally. Kinda like saying white pages don't affect the value of a book. :baiting: The fact is that SC 30 is Aquaman's first full-length comic book -- ever. Since his first appearance in 1941, he had been relegated to back-up stories. SC 30 was yet another key move by Julie Schwartz and other editors to resuscitate National's library of storied GA characters. Had SC 30, 31 and 32 flopped, Aquaman would not have gotten his own title. That being said, Adventure 260, in my opinion, is the more important of the two books for the reasons discussed above.

Edited by zosocane

-J.

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's a stretch to take the position that SC 30 is neither a key nor a relevant book nor important book to collectors generally. Kinda like saying white pages don't affect the value of a book. :baiting: The fact is that SC 30 is Aquaman's first full-length comic book -- ever. Since his first appearance in 1941, he had been relegated to back-up stories. SC 30 was yet another key move by Julie Schwartz and other editors to resuscitate National's library of storied GA characters. Had SC 30, 31 and 32 flopped, Aquaman would not have gotten his own title. That being said, Adventure 260, in my opinion, is the more important of the two books for the reasons discussed above.

Don't get me started. I have my data points always at the ready. :sumo:lol

-J.