• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-American comics no.16 the Green lantern

299 posts in this topic

Well that doesn't sound good! I'm gonna wait till after the holidays to ship it out, probable insure it for at least 5K just in case maybe more?

You won't be able to recover $5k (or any dollar amount for that matter) unless you have a receipt and/or certified appraisal. If the book were lost/damaged during shipment postal inspectors would ask for either of the above documents before cutting you a check. If you had neither, they'd deny your insurance claim.

Depending upon your location in The States you have a couple of options...

*Fly/drive the book down to CGC in Florida and as others have stated go through a walk-through/same day tier.

*Wait for CGC to come to a comic book convention near you where they offer what's called "on site" grading; that is where they will certify and grade the book that day of the show and you'll get it right back.

*Find a trustworthy dealer near you who's also a CGC member, has shipping insurance and can write you a certified appraisal and send the book off through them fully insured against loss or damage.

------------------

My personal advice: Given the high value of this book unless I was ready to sell I'd just buy some Mylar and Backing Boards and leave the comic as is. Then when I was ready to sell I'd have the auction house/dealer certify the comic for me through CGC. Given the dollar amount of this book the auction house would undoubtedly waive any slabbing fees associated with the cost of certifying it.

Insure it for $15k to be on the safe side.

Send it registered mail and you'll be fine

I agree. I was thinking it's probably an 11-13K book. 15 is a good hedge.

Actually, insure it for 20.

Edited by chrisco37

+1

When you send it to CGC..... what chrisco said PLUS..... send it overnight. You want it in their hands as quick as possible I'm thinking

He inherited the book from his grandfather who bought it off newsstands at 10 cents. USPS/FedEx won't payout ANY of these amounts in the event of damage as he has no receipt for paying these dollar figures. For the post office to cover the shipment he'd have to have a certified appraisal and/or proof of payment.

He inherited the book from his grandfather who bought it off newsstands at 10 cents. USPS/FedEx won't payout ANY of these amounts in the event of damage as he has no receipt for paying these dollar figures. For the post office to cover the shipment he'd have to have a certified appraisal and/or proof of payment.

Hand deliver..... and go to Disney World while your waiting

USPS/FedEx won't payout ANY of these amounts in the event of damage as he has no receipt for paying these dollar figures. For the post office to cover the shipment he'd have to have a certified appraisal and/or proof of payment.

(thumbs u

For example, from the USPS (including Registered Mail):

https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

Proof of Value

Proof of value can include:

• A sales receipt.

• A paid invoice or paid bill of sale.

• Statement of value and/or estimates of repair costs from a reputable dealer.

• A credit card billing statement.

• Receipt of costs incurred for reconstruction of non-negotiable documents.

• Printouts of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed.

Don't screw around. This is a serious book which sells for serious money in any grade. Put it back in the bag you found it in (carefully!), position it (carefully!) between two hardcover books which are larger than it all around; lock it up (carefully!) in a fireproof safe-deposit box while you get all your ducks in a row; and then think long and hard about trusting it to ANY carrier other than yourself for delivery to CGC...

Thank you for all the advice guys! I will consider everything said and make sure I do my due diligence. The book is sitting in a ceder chest on top of a card board box with a newspaper on top, afraid to handle this comic until I really have to!

That bag you have it in should be carefully discarded and should be replaced with a new one and a backing board. Old plastic bags turn sticky and greasy feeling because the plasticizers leach out. You probably don't have a replacement handy, but maybe you could stop at a comic shop and they could set you up with one bag and board, out of respect for the comic.

This is one particular book I could say NEVER came up for sale on the boards in my time here. Definitely a rare book. After owning a GL1, I always wondered about finding an AA16. It never happened by a long shot. What a nice book!!! So cool.

I just ordered a 10 pack of ultra pro bags and boards on eBay for $4.60

Are they Mylar? Your book needs to be put in a Mylar with acid free backing boards.

Anyone here have GA size Mylars and boards they can send to this guy? I only have SA size.

I just ordered a 10 pack of ultra pro bags and boards on eBay for $4.60

Are they Mylar? Your book needs to be put in a Mylar with acid free backing boards.

Anyone here have GA size Mylars and boards they can send to this guy? I only have SA size.

I wouldn't send him a mylar. That's a great way to ruin a comic by having a guy with zero experience try and use a mylar.

I'd recommend a mylite2. Would lower the risk of damage