• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

If anyone sees something about how they edited the young Luke in please do share.  I'm wondering if the voice was new audio or re-used old audio, if the voice was new was it Hamill and was there editing involved, whether or not he did motion capture with his face, and what his entire involvement in the episode was.

Edited by fantastic_four

39 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If anyone sees something about how they edited the young Luke in please do share.  I'm wondering if the voice was new audio or re-used old audio, if the voice was new was it Hamill and was there editing involved, whether or not he did motion capture with his face, and what his entire involvement in the episode was.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/jon-favreau-explains-luke-skywalker-mandalorian-scene-hamill-on-set-1234606005/

Finally just got Disney+ a few weeks ago.  So, I was able to watch roughly one episode per night and then the season finale.  I'll echo some other posters and say this series reinvigorated my love for Star Wars.  It was also great to see my young son looking forward to watching this together too.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

30 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

There was an article the next day that also showed the younger actor they used for some of the scenes that they then cut Mark Hamill's face in as well.

Here’s Who Played Luke Skywalker in ‘The Mandalorian’

GettyImages-812168728-1.jpg

When Luke Skywalker showed up on “The Mandalorian,” it certainly looked a lot like the Jedi we know and love. And we’d recognize Mark Hamill’s voice a mile away. But the actual in-the-flesh actor was Max Lloyd-Jones. Let us introduce you.

Although the London-born thespian isn’t a household name, he has a pretty solid resume, including “Adventures in Baby-Sitting,” “The Sandlot,” “iZombie,” “Switched at Birth” and “Project Blue Book.” And perhaps most interestingly, he’s credited for the role of Blue Eyes, a.k.a. the chimpanzee in “War for the Planet of the Apes.” That’s a pretty high-profile CGI-based role, so it makes sense as to why Lucasfilm might have turned to him to do some CGI acting for one of their most famous Jedis.

Aside from the fact that Mark Hamill, obviously, can’t play his younger self anymore (sorry, Mark), it’s not out of the ordinary to have another actor step into the role. Yes, Hamill will always be known as Luke Skywalker, but like any popular character, others have stepped into the role over the years depending on the medium that Luke is appearing in.

The season 2 finale of The Mandalorian revealed every way that Avengers: Endgame failed to really make an impact with the "A-Force" scene. After all the effort The Mandalorian put in to make its female characters not only strong, but also relevant, there's almost no comparison.

At the height of "Chapter 16: The Rescue," a team of female fighters assembles to mow down the Stormtroopers on Moff Gideon's ship: Fennec Shand, Bo Katan Kryze, Koska Reeves, and Cara Dune. Similarly, in Endgame, the female superheroes of the MCU gather behind Captain Marvel to pummel their way through Thanos' army. Though both scenes intended to showcase the sheer power of the women in each franchise, The Mandalorian noticeably outThe Mandalorian took far more time and effort to show just how powerful Shand, Kryze, Reeves, and Dune are. Throughout the series, each woman is showcased in her own right, and viewers are allowed to build up their own rapport with each of them because they are so present throughout the show. With every woman having their strengths clearly on display throughout The Mandalorian, the fact that they end up absolutely plowing through Gideon's Stormtroopers is more than no surprise; it's also an event that viewers can look forward to after having some idea of each of their fighting styles. The scene where sharpshooters Dune and Shand take the Imperial fighters head-on while Bo Katan Kryze (a Clone Wars fan favorite) and Koska Reeves use their jetpacks for a stealthier approach is both logical and thrilling.performs Endgame and even shows exactly where creators went wrong with the "A-Force" scene.

The Mandalorian took far more time and effort to show just how powerful Shand, Kryze, Reeves, and Dune are. Throughout the series, each woman is showcased in her own right, and viewers are allowed to build up their own rapport with each of them because they are so present throughout the show. With every woman having their strengths clearly on display throughout The Mandalorian, the fact that they end up absolutely plowing through Gideon's Stormtroopers is more than no surprise; it's also an event that viewers can look forward to after having some idea of each of their fighting styles. The scene where sharpshooters Dune and Shand take the Imperial fighters head-on while Bo Katan Kryze (a Clone Wars fan favorite) and Koska Reeves use their jetpacks for a stealthier approach is both logical and thrilling.

Because Shand, Kryze, Reeves, and Dune show up so often in The Mandalorian, the fact that they're present for the season finale doesn't come out of the left field (which is overall the underlying tone throughout the "A-Force" scene in Endgame.) In fact, it makes a lot of sense why Din Djarin would assemble this specific team for help. Meanwhile, the "A-Force" seems pretty redundant. It's odd that Captain Marvel, who's supposed to be the most powerful superhero in the MCU, would need any back-up - especially from characters who haven't been in the movie at all until that point.

Whereas the "A-Force" seemed like an odd, somewhat forced attempt at fan service, the season 2 finale of The Mandalorian was a rational continuation of the narrative that the series had already created. Plus, The Mandalorian didn't parade around the fact that they'd managed to assemble an all-woman team. They didn't need to flaunt the group power of Shand, Kryze, Reeves, and Dune as an achievement because they didn't need to; their firepower was already earned by how much their abilities had been built up in previous episodes. Meanwhile, Endgame had an element of over-doing the "A-Force" scene precisely because it was a moment that hadn't been earned.

The Mandalorian is a masterclass in how to take a popular series and reinvent it with care. With season 3's release tentatively set for Christmas 2021, there's a whole year ahead for viewers to look forward to the show one-upping itself and other franchises once again.

14 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

SW has had a real problem with making their human characters appear much older than they really are. Before the sequels, I thought it was just a product of ANH being released in the 70s, but seriously, Luke dies after meditating too hard? WTH. It's something that has spanned the franchise's lifetime. 

Looking at it after viewing the Prequels, Clone Wars, and even Rebels, the way Obi-Wan was portrayed in ANH is criminal, IMO. He was 57 when he died and was played by a 63 year old, which is normal. He was made to appear and fight much older than his age. 

There is a buddhist practice where in a monk's perfection, they're literally able to manipulate the atomic structure of their body into energy. I remember seeing a documented video of a monk doing this & his body was almost completely gone. It's not that Luke or Obi-Wan died, their physical bodies were reconstituted into the force but their ethereal bodies still exist. I guess it doesn't make sense or appeal to everyone, but it's a way to show that they mastered the force.

14 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

There is a buddhist practice where in a monk's perfection, they're literally able to manipulate the atomic structure of their body into energy. I remember seeing a documented video of a monk doing this & his body was almost completely gone. It's not that Luke or Obi-Wan died, their physical bodies were reconstituted into the force but their ethereal bodies still exist. I guess it doesn't make sense or appeal to everyone, but it's a way to show that they mastered the force.

I understand that, but Luke wasn’t meditating to master the force. He was attempting and succeeding at creating a Force Projection, which is something that hasn’t been done in canon before or since. It’s much different than becoming a Force Ghost. I’m sure it takes a huge amount of stress  and strength to pull off something like that, so my “meditating too hard” was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. 

With that said, Luke really isn’t that old in TLJ, but he appears and is portrayed as someone well beyond their years. It’s something SW has done to human characters over the age of 55. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

35 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I understand that, but Luke wasn’t meditating to master the force. He was attempting and succeeding at creating a Force Projection, which is something that hasn’t been done in canon before or since. It’s much different than becoming a Force Ghost. I’m sure it takes a huge amount of stress  and strength to pull off something like that, so my “meditating too hard” was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. 

With that said, Luke really isn’t that old in TLJ, but he appears and is portrayed as someone well beyond their years. It’s something SW has done to human characters over the age of 55. 

The only difference I see between astral projecting & the ethereal force ghost is that the projector still has a physical form.

3 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

The only difference I see between astral projecting & the ethereal force ghost is that the projector still has a physical form.

And the projector should retain the physical form after projecting. Free to enjoy a life of leisure and milking thala-sirens. 

On 12/22/2020 at 12:04 PM, jcjames said:

When folks here and elsewhere pointed out these same glaring flaws in forcing many of these female characters into the forefront of the MCU movies like described above, they were wokefully pummeled for being old sexist bigots by virtue-signalling "girl-power" parrot-soldiers.

The Mandalorian not only restored the proper mythos of The Jedi, not only restored LUKE (as opposed to Jake) Skywalker and not only paid more respect for the entire SW canon than entire sequel trilogy, they showed how to legitimately, honestly and rightly assemble a team of great characters who happen to all be female as well.

For what is it worth, my wife HATED that scene in Endgame.  She came out of the theater saying she really liked endgame, but felt almost insulted by that scene. She did not even make passing mention of the "assault" team in Mandalorian being all female.

Edited by drotto