• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Empty Package Scam from EBay Seller

180 posts in this topic

Weird part is it seems like the real account holder. Will keep y'all updated. Hard to prove anything if they say the comic was in there and acting like it was broken into during transit.

Lesson learned so far: video tape opening up any box for items over $2,500

He could be telling the truth he sent book. I think mail person knows there might be $$$$$ book in there and took it out its possible someone took book out.

that is the tough part, there is the slight...o very slight... chance they are telling the truth

Also their reply should have displayed extreme shock and outrage if they did send book. If no reply = guilty.

there has been communications, sorry if I did not state. The reply hours later is shock saying item was in there and they didn't put some of the usps flyers in there. So who knows... could of been broken into. now if they put label on a fresh box, hard to porve. what made no sense was they said cgc case inside was fresh and not broken, but the case (picture shown before) is broken and dirty. If you are smart enough to steal this book, replace box etc, why would you be in a rush to break a case with a 5k book in it?

If package was opened and re taped there will be 2 layers of tape present.

This doesn't mean guilty...I have reused boxes that were sent to me so there will be tape on top of tape.

This whole situation sounds like something that happened to me years ago. I sold a key comic on eBay and when the buyer got it, the box was empty (supposedly). I believe it was the post office and that someone there knew I mailed out comics a lot and they grabbed it mid-transit.

You can try filming the opening but who is to say you didn't open it, take the book out, seal it and then film yourself opening a "sealed box"?

Seller's address there, everything on their end seems legit. they saying it was shipped in box, which might of. Would make for the perfect insurance scam on their end, how can anyone prove them wrong? Everything on their end seems legit but my guess would point to still the perfect scam. I have no clue, anything I say is a guess and all I know is I received an empty box

If the account was hijacked, and the hijacker printed the label from EBay (using the hijacked account), then the address will show as the Seller's address (from Pennsylvania)...doesn't mean that it came from Pennsylvania (although you could tell from the Tracking).

Have you contacted him via telephone, to see if you are "speaking" to the true seller?? The hijacker could hijack the EBay account, but very unlikely their telephone. I have done the same, only to find that the "seller", that I was speaking to over email, was not the same "seller" that I reached over the telephone (and, yes, it was over a d@mned AF 15).

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/contact-member.html#requesting

See specifically: Request a member's contact information

Weird part is it seems like the real account holder. Will keep y'all updated. Hard to prove anything if they say the comic was in there and acting like it was broken into during transit.

Lesson learned so far: video tape opening up any box for items over $2,500

Videoing really isn't great proof, you want to pick it up at the post office and have an employee witness it being opened as soon as it is in your possession (and video that if possible.)

The whole situation screams scam to me. Aside from what appears to be a definite image rip-off, the seller (be it pastries2010 or an account hijacker) makes the assertion that 1. they know how to grade comics, and 2. try to grade lower than comic book stores. In addition, the scammer had the wherewithal to include an empty slab, giving the appearance that the book was stolen in transit by some opportunist.

Now, if you're someone who claims to know comics and is aware of the grading services, wouldn't it stand to reason that you damn sure better know how to research an AF 15's value and realize a 4.0 could potentially be worth quadruple the $4925 BIN price? This was someone out to make a quick buck.

Seems like seller is indeed pulling a fast one why would he buy a book then immediately sell it for less?

ebay should be able to investigate, find out who bought that book, contact them and if they still have it this guy is toast.

ebay should be able to investigate, find out who bought that book, contact them and if they still have it this guy is toast.

I'm not convinced the other sale was legit either. No feedback in the seller's profile for the last 6 months (book sold November 9, 2016), and even with the stigma of PGX attached, that copy should fetch much more than $5 grand.

Matt, your my hero. I think we all over looked that sale due to it being graded. that is the smoking gun I needed. While paypal still sucks and needs 10 days to process, I was able to add this information which they said my expedite the situation