• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Empty Package Scam from EBay Seller

180 posts in this topic

I purchased an AF 15 for $4925 on eBay last week (you can find it if you want.) I know, any deal too good to be true is just that. But the photos were original, 100% feedback and seller had two other comics for sale. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I have been down the road of AF 15 scams before on eBay but this time seemed legit. Seller responded- shipped out following day.

Fast forward to today when I go to post office to pick up. When I open package- flyers and there is a broken cgc case with nothing inside.... so have feared of this scam for years thinking how someone would try this. So opened a PayPal dispute, in past I have won back stuff like this but being they scammed it to even the weight, I can not say I am 100% confident... maybe 90%...

Any suggestions? Any thoughts?

Notify your Credit Card company (If you used one) right away and let them know what is going on. They will ask that you let Paypal do their thing 1st. If Paypal denies your claim, they should take care of it.

Unfortunately the AF 15 scam has happened to me before too. Took a while, but I got my money refunded

GL :wishluck:

Why wouldn't you just do a return via eBay? Seems like it's a no brainier that they'd side with you immediately and also probably ban the guy at the same time. I always thought Paypal disputes were for those situations where ebay wasn't involved?

Sorry this happened, by the way. Really stinks. Even though I'm sure it will ultimately resolve in your favor...you still will just end up with your money back and no AF15.

item 252693197827

ebay member has 491 positives 100%

only reason I think twice is that the feedback and the effort put forth to pull it off. most likely I will be fine and was not going to post but figured would maybe somehow help others if this happens more frequently going forward.

item 252693197827

ebay member has 491 positives 100%

only reason I think twice is that the feedback and the effort put forth to pull it off. most likely I will be fine and was not going to post but figured would maybe somehow help others if this happens more frequently going forward.

Damn he' top rated with highest buyer ratings. Sure gives him leverage. The funds are likely in his acct and drawn. He's not new so that's what likely happened. You obviously have a right to return it simply for it not being as described and or not even present. I think it will come down to ebay doing the right thing. Sure they stand by you as a buyer, but where he likely has vaporized with the funds, ebay will have to eat that loss. Do they want to? Will they? Can they tell you sorry? I hope this turns out positive and I will keep my fingers crossed. This is ugly.

I purchased an AF 15 for $4925 on eBay last week (you can find it if you want.) I know, any deal too good to be true is just that. But the photos were original, 100% feedback and seller had two other comics for sale. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I have been down the road of AF 15 scams before on eBay but this time seemed legit. Seller responded- shipped out following day.

Fast forward to today when I go to post office to pick up. When I open package- flyers and there is a broken cgc case with nothing inside.... so have feared of this scam for years thinking how someone would try this. So opened a PayPal dispute, in past I have won back stuff like this but being they scammed it to even the weight, I can not say I am 100% confident... maybe 90%...

Any suggestions? Any thoughts?

Did the box appear to be tampered with?

If the package went USPS, go down to the Post Office and speak with the Post Master. Advise him/her of the situation and that you want to get the US Postal Inspectors involved. Ask how get in contact with them. Here is a link to filing a mail fraud complaint.

http://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx

For roughly 5K they will contact you and start a case.

Damn. Hope you get your money back!

btw... did you ever try contacting the seller?

Seller has been around since 2011 but here's a red flag: Seller has over 100 feedback as a seller in past 12 months, but only 1 feedback as a seller in the past six months.

Damn. Hope you get your money back!

btw... did you ever try contacting the seller?

Seller has been around since 2011 but here's a red flag: Seller has over 100 feedback as a seller in past 12 months, but only 1 feedback as a seller in the past six months.

possibly hijacked acct.

Return it not as described. You don't have to mess with the Post Office, that's a seller's problem.

This is very odd. To do years of feedback farming just seems strange. Lots of seemingly different buyers. Nothing much recently and other 2 items not in same ballpark.

Does his return address match where the tracking came from?

Are you sure the box wasn't tampered with? I think this is likely seller fraud but it could have happened.

Box was not tampered. Was a broken cgc case inside makes me think they probably knew exactly what they were doing. Right now I figured to let PayPal prove otherwise because if Amex opens dispute- PayPal case closes. Figure if PayPal fails, eBay than Amex. I would think PayPal will step up on this but we will see.

It's a scam I have worried about for 15 years with my other online business, but I guessed it would happen as me as a seller and the buyer says the box was empty...

I will check if all match, but really wouldn't expect it not to. I am guessing hijacked account but that's just a guess. Definitely someonw knowledgeable with process and comics. Definitely a sob

If its a hijacked account, its unlikely the tracking origination on USPS will be the same as the ebay/paypal address on record.

If they are all the same then either its a good seller who went rogue, or the biggest coincidence where an online scam artist hacks an account in his same town.