• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Empty Package Scam from EBay Seller

180 posts in this topic

Weird that a broken CGC case was left in the package if that is the former PGX book.

Not IF, it 100% IS the same book in both auctions. The resolution was changed on the ungraded version, probably to try and hide some of the flaws, but they're still easily matched when comparing photos.

Timely - glad I could help! Let us know how it ultimately turns out.

It's the same book but not the same pic-the angle is different. I dont know what this means.

It may actually be a straight image rip. If you zoom in on the "ungraded" pics, I believe you very faintly see the outlines of the inner well in both photos (much more evident on the back cover photo). The angles do look awfully consistent to me as well, maybe a slight rotation adjustment from one to the other?

It's the same book but not the same pic-the angle is different. I dont know what this means.

It may actually be a straight image rip. If you zoom in on the "ungraded" pics, I believe you very faintly see the outlines of the inner well in both photos (much more evident on the back cover photo). The angles do look awfully consistent to me as well, maybe a slight rotation adjustment from one to the other?

Same background as well. The guy who sold to Timely probably never had the book at all.

I agree now it does seem to be the same pic modified

If Timely can ask dang how long have you had this book anyway and he says over 1 month something is wrong.

He seems to have taken the pic from the other listing-shadow at top and you can see part of slab on left the same this is pretty damning evidence.

Same background as well. The guy who sold to Timely probably never had the book at all.

Yes, clearly a low rez image that's been doctored at the edges. That would have red flagged the book for me.

ebay should be able to investigate, find out who bought that book, contact them and if they still have it this guy is toast.

I'm not convinced the other sale was legit either. No feedback in the seller's profile for the last 6 months (book sold November 9, 2016), and even with the stigma of PGX attached, that copy should fetch much more than $5 grand.

No seller feedbacks for over a year, and from what one can glean, mostly sold clothing and vacuum bags. No other comic sales in last 60 days. No buyer feedback appears to be from regular comic sellers either. Looks pretty scammy to me.

Yes, clearly a low rez image that's been doctored at the edges. That would have red flagged the book for me.

Check the sellers other recent sales, a few lower grade SA Spideys with higher rez photos. But sells an AF 15 with a crappy overpixilated image? I don't think so.

Great find on the picture.

Here's my question though. Why would buyer have to prove any of this? In my experience the buyer in ebay has almost immunity on any purchase. I once purchased an air filter replacement (new) that came and was definitely used. So I sent it back to seller and seller went on claiming it was new, they lost hands-down just because I claimed it was. In hindsight I realized how easy it would be to send a used one back and basically steal it - which I would never do but it is a flaw in the system.

on big purchases, I pick up at the post office or fedex. I always open up in front of the postal worker or fedex workers. I was scammed one time and the postal worker saw that I received an empty package. the postal worker help me open up a claim and I got my money back.

If Timely had opened a not as described case and returned merchandise seler would have no doubt had postal worker open box and Timely would be SOL.

on big purchases, I pick up at the post office or fedex. I always open up in front of the postal worker or fedex workers. I was scammed one time and the postal worker saw that I received an empty package. the postal worker help me open up a claim and I got my money back.

I do the same thing even if a parcel looks a little worse for wear.

I purchased an AF 15 for $4925 on eBay last week (you can find it if you want.) I know, any deal too good to be true is just that. But the photos were original, 100% feedback and seller had two other comics for sale. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I have been down the road of AF 15 scams before on eBay but this time seemed legit. Seller responded- shipped out following day.

Fast forward to today when I go to post office to pick up. When I open package- flyers and there is a broken cgc case with nothing inside.... so have feared of this scam for years thinking how someone would try this. So opened a PayPal dispute, in past I have won back stuff like this but being they scammed it to even the weight, I can not say I am 100% confident... maybe 90%...

Any suggestions? Any thoughts?

Did the box appear to be tampered with?

That would be my question too.

Thats the hard part of all this, how to prove it was not in the box before or that it was broken into is nearly impossible. Just hope the right outcome surfaces

I really appreciate all of y'all who have reached out to me on this thread and in pm, really means a lot and hope at the end of this I have good news and hope this never happens to any of us in the future.

I am surprised they sent it out Priority too. If I sent out a $5k book you better bet its going to get there fast, have insurance and require a signature. Did they do any of that?