• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS INSURANCE CLAIM HELP

68 posts in this topic

The other thread where this happened the postal worker faced no consequences for doing this.
Link?
Anyone remember the thread-The guy slab was left in the hallway of his apt building by a seasonal employee.

...but was it a Registered Mail parcel?

I get First Class and (non-sig) Priority Mail boxes dropped at the door all the time. But I have yet to have a mandatory signature-required package left to rot on my porch...

It was sig required and the worker signed for it and admitted such.

It hasn't happened to me, but I won't deny that a lazy carrier might do that.

But...that's not the same thing as a carrier signing for a package instead of the recipient. Was that what happened in the case you're referring to?

It hasn't happened to me, but I won't deny that a lazy carrier might do that.

But...that's not the same thing as a carrier signing for a package instead of the recipient. What that what happened in the case you're referring to?

Yes. And as I remember the post office had a 'maybe we'll look into it' attitude.

In that case this dude probably didn't tell the full story-perhaps he threatened someone when he got angry...

Absolutely, now what constitutes a threat may be debatable but there's got to be a good deal of anger and the postman would have to feel threatened.

I worked with a guy who got in a fist fight with one of his customers. That customer never got mail delivery again. Now to the customers credit, that postman was a sarcastic arse and I wanted to punch him out every time I talked to him.

Edited by thehumantorch

CGC recently sent me a graded 3.5 copy of Tales of Suspense #39 (1st appearance of Iron Man). ComicsPriceGuide.com lists the value around $1920. Recently the comic with equal or lower grades has sold on eBay for closer to $3500. I insured the comic for $2000. It was sent to me by CGC as USPS Registered Mail. It was "delivered" to my front porch, signed for by a USPS mail carrier, and was stolen soon after from the porch. I live in busy Los Angeles, where there is a high crime rate for petty theft, etc. The local Post Office manager admitted that the USPS was at fault, that my mail carrier under no circumstances should sign for something on my behalf and leave a parcel on my front porch, especially something insured for 2K under registered mail. But in order to process an insurance claim the USPS requires "proof of value" for my stolen item. According to the USPS, "the amount claimed must be supported by acceptable proof of value showing completion of payment, such as dated sales receipt, money order, credit card statement, a copy of the front and back of a cancelled check or proof of completed internet payment transaction, indicating the actual amount paid." Seeing as I've owned this collectable comic since a child, and I simply sent it to CGC to get graded, how do I provide an acceptable proof of value to have a successful claim to the USPS? What should I do? Thanks!

Do I have a story for you....

How did it work out in the end for you? I think the last post was you had one more appeal left.

The other thread where this happened the postal worker faced no consequences for doing this.

Link?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=394892&Number=8997969#Post8997969

Thanks!

That really sucks, but the sad fact of the matter is that Priority w/signature confirmation is not on par with, nor is it nearly as expensive as, Registered Mail.

Of course, in both cases the USPS should be held accountable. But Kav's claim that the worker faced no consequences is patently false, to wit:

So I still have not heard from the IG but I spoke with the manager today...not the supervisor I have been dealing with and the manager said he will try to reach out to the claims people to get this set right.

Also the delivery driver, Daniel, has been terminated! :banana:

Still, that's not the same as restitution for the loss... :(

I understood he was seasonal anyway and would have lost his job regardless.

:eyeroll: ... ... ... :foryou:

:tonofbricks:

Just print out this list of past sales from Heritage as to the value of the book. Just realize, since you only insured it for $2000, that's all you will get back, even if all the proof is much higher.

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=tales+of+suspense+39+cgc+3.5&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

(thumbs u

Proving value to the USPS is the key. Printouts from auction sites of the same comic & grade are good. The language USPS uses for proof of value is important. In your case with a lifelong collectible with no meaningful receipt, a "reputable dealer" is how they put it. I would take information on whatever expert you use, such as $X sold at auctions annually, years in business, and a contact there for them to verify information with.

I have used printouts of GPA data, Overstreet photocopies, and CGC declared value on submission forms as "proof of value" for USPS insurance claims.

Did they work?

CGC declared value is the same as what you the customer put on the form. I don't know if the PO is privy to that but clearly not proof.

CGC recently sent me a graded 3.5 copy of Tales of Suspense #39 (1st appearance of Iron Man). ComicsPriceGuide.com lists the value around $1920. Recently the comic with equal or lower grades has sold on eBay for closer to $3500. I insured the comic for $2000. It was sent to me by CGC as USPS Registered Mail. It was "delivered" to my front porch, signed for by a USPS mail carrier, and was stolen soon after from the porch. I live in busy Los Angeles, where there is a high crime rate for petty theft, etc. The local Post Office manager admitted that the USPS was at fault, that my mail carrier under no circumstances should sign for something on my behalf and leave a parcel on my front porch, especially something insured for 2K under registered mail. But in order to process an insurance claim the USPS requires "proof of value" for my stolen item. According to the USPS, "the amount claimed must be supported by acceptable proof of value showing completion of payment, such as dated sales receipt, money order, credit card statement, a copy of the front and back of a cancelled check or proof of completed internet payment transaction, indicating the actual amount paid." Seeing as I've owned this collectable comic since a child, and I simply sent it to CGC to get graded, how do I provide an acceptable proof of value to have a successful claim to the USPS? What should I do? Thanks!

I am sorry for your loss , You can use 3 indicators : GPA , Ebay past sales and priceguide .com i think that if you show those 3 to them that will be enough

Something similar happened to me with a 4 figure book. Priority not registered. The USPS carrier forged my signature and left it in the lobby. Luckily it was there when I got home.

I'm starting to think that it's just a bad idea to ship anything during the holiday season. A book I bought on ebay was "delivered" to me on December 23rd but never made it to my home.

Take it from an old Post Office clerk: USPS Registered Mail is a "maximum security" service.

Unless you called your local PO branch directly and made other arrangements, left a signed note, or signed a release of some sort, NOBODY other than the recipient (you!) should have been able to sign for this package.

Press the USPS on this, get CGC involved (since they shipped it), and threaten legal/law enforcement action against the USPS or the carrier if necessary.

This isn't "negligence" -- it's a willful and possibly criminal violation of the contract, on the part of the USPS, which CGC entered into when it sent the package via Registered Mail...

This is good information.

Although I'm left wondering one thing. Whose insurance is this - CGC's or USPS'?

I have used a grader in another category of collecting and any package that is being sent back to the submitter is covered under their own third-party insurance.

Seems foreign to me that the submitter is left on the lurch here to come up with proof of value, documentation, etc. when CGC is returning valuable personal property.

609 Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage

3.2 Proof of Value

a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.

It should not be hard to get a "reputable dealer" to estimate the value of the book.

Edited by Tony S

609 Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage

3.2 Proof of Value

a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.

It should not be hard to get a "reputable dealer" to estimate the value of the book.

:o Wow - do you know one? :shrug: