• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd appearances should be worth a lot more.

67 posts in this topic

Hey guys, inspired by another similar thread, I wanted express my surprise at the sharp drop off in value/collectibility of second appearances of characters, especially when the second appearance changes (sometimes dramatically) the psychical appearance of a character or makes great strides in characterization and traits of said character. A couple that come to mind:

Hulk 2: first Green Hulk! C'mon!

Hulk #2 is really cheap compared to other Marvel keys. Sure it's not a "key key", but it's the first Green Hulk and it's pre-Spidey Marvel. :applause:

If someone is born on May 1st at 11:59PM, nobody will celebrate or care about May 2nd on the basis of "May 1st? meh, he was only there for like a minute... May 2nd is his first full day and should be celebrated" not his birthday. For me it is about the same for characters in comics - I do not care if the 1st appearance is short or lame.

hm interesting analogy...

+1 hm

It's a perfect analogy. :applause:

It's not even a decent analogy, let alone perfect. meh

If someone is born on May 1st at 11:59PM, nobody will celebrate or care about May 2nd on the basis of "May 1st? meh, he was only there for like a minute... May 2nd is his first full day and should be celebrated" not his birthday. For me it is about the same for characters in comics - I do not care if the 1st appearance is short or lame.

+1 hm

You don't have many friends in the real world, I'm guessing. lol

+1 hm

You don't have many friends in the real world, I'm guessing. lol

lol

Hulk 181 does okay.

lol nice one. Made me laugh.

Harley quinn mad love should be worth more. It's her origin...2nd appearance. .and a great story. Ba12 does not compare in terms of story. Not saying Ba12 should be worth less at all...just that mad love should be worth more than it is.

I think 2nd appearances should NOT be worth a lot more than the current market places it unless it has content that's important (like origin story, or introduction of key villain)...

The first time something happens, it's important.

The second time? meh, unless a lot of time has transpired. And I think we see this when we see characters who had a 1st appearance in the Golden Age, and then disappear for decades before being re-introduced in a later age. That Reintroduction usually gets a price bump even though it's not a 1st appearance.

I think 2nd appearances should NOT be worth a lot more than the current market places it unless it has content that's important (like origin story, or introduction of key villain)...

The first time something happens, it's important.

The second time? meh, unless a lot of time has transpired. And I think we see this when we see characters who had a 1st appearance in the Golden Age, and then disappear for decades before being re-introduced in a later age. That Reintroduction usually gets a price bump even though it's not a 1st appearance.

And appropriately, nobody cares about "the second silver age appearance of" ... any character.