• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd appearances should be worth a lot more.

67 posts in this topic

Hey guys, inspired by another similar thread, I wanted express my surprise at the sharp drop off in value/collectibility of second appearances of characters, especially when the second appearance changes (sometimes dramatically) the psychical appearance of a character or makes great strides in characterization and traits of said character. A couple that come to mind:

Hulk 2: first Green Hulk! C'mon!

Tales of Suspense 40: Gold Armor

Might have something to do with the fact Collectibles are only valued as a commodity by a few. While there are exception to the rule , Collectible values yoyo and in time alot loose value( plenty of examples to be had) and some may stand longer than others.

I find it funny that comics are one of the few hobbies I am in where most people talk more about value than the love they have for that hobby. Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like.

No matter how this plays out, we will ultimately arrive, yet again, at an eternal verity in this hobby:

EVERYTHING should be worth a lot more when I want to sell it.

EVERYTHING should be worth a lot less when I want to buy it.

"Scoop of chocolate, scoop of vanilla...don't waste my time..."

:grin:

All those valid reasons aside, I do think the ratio for SA Marvel first/second appearances is pretty skewed, especially in the case of earlier books that are just one month later. JIM 84 is a good example.

Though I agree with the OP about Hulk 2 and TOS 40 (not an easy book in grade for silver). Heck, throw FF2 in there too, as an early days Marvel hero book (10-cent Marvel hero books? The Dr Droom Amazing Adventures issues, FF 1&2, TTA 27. That's it!) and the birth of cosmic Marvel, with the intro of the Skrulls.

Of course ASM #1 is the outlier, and should probably have the tightest first/second ratio as it does, but I see room for the others to come up, especially books from early '63 and back. If enough of us agree, they will. Seems to me that Hulk #2 has been moving, and TTA 35 too.

Hulk 181 does okay.

True, second appearances do a lot better when the first appearance is nothing more than a panel or page that leads into the true introduction of the character in the following issue where they are actually relevant to the story.

Hulk 181 does okay.

True, second appearances do a lot better when the first appearance is nothing more than a panel or page that leads into the true introduction of the character in the following issue where they are actually relevant to the story.

I was just messing about. For this type of thread, if the discussion goes on long enough, a mention of Hulk 181 is pretty much inevitable. :)

Hulk 181 does okay.

Tell that to JO 134

Not sure if was a theory or folklore, but in my early days of collecting comics there was often a topic of conversation that always heard over and over and it did make some sense to me. It was that when a new #1 issue of ______ would debut on the news stand, the sales of such book were not really yet known. Was the book a flop of selling out? During this time issue 2 was going to press and production runs were always less than number one. Sales figures would eventually become known for number 1 and adjustments for issue 3 could be determined. Printing that second issue was always a crapshoot and was always a conservative number.

Taking my shop as an example- many people picked up multiple copies of first issues. Didn't matter if it was Crisis, Secret Wars, the New Universe, Flash, JLA,. Just about every first issue had many people buying multiple copies. Few bought multiple second issues.

If I recall correctly, the drop off in orders for second issues of the New Universe titles caused several people to comment on the potentialupside of investing in them.

Hulk 181 does okay.

joking aside, most people DO value the second appearances as more important especially if it becomes the character's first cover appearance. We invented the whole 1st cameo vs 1st full appearance distinction for this reason, but really all 1st full means is second actual appearance.

Hey guys, inspired by another similar thread, I wanted express my surprise at the sharp drop off in value/collectibility of second appearances of characters, especially when the second appearance changes (sometimes dramatically) the psychical appearance of a character or makes great strides in characterization and traits of said character. A couple that come to mind:

Hulk 2: first Green Hulk! C'mon!

Tales of Suspense 40: Gold Armor

I've been preaching Hulk 2 to anyone who'll listen. Now that Hulk 1 has gotten out of he price range of a lot of collectors, the first appearance of the Green Hulk, on the cover no less, really looks like a bargain.

Nobody cared about the color change of the Hulk between Issues 1 and 2 for the first 22 years of the character. But who knows what little tidbit will suddenly excite the collector hive mind.