• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd appearances should be worth a lot more.

67 posts in this topic

I own 2nd appearaces of all the 1st appearances I own though, :) I don't really know exactly why they are not up in price.....Punsher, sabretooth, Silver Surfer...etc lol hahaahaha

Hey guys, inspired by another similar thread, I wanted express my surprise at the sharp drop off in value/collectibility of second appearances of characters, especially when the second appearance changes (sometimes dramatically) the psychical appearance of a character or makes great strides in characterization and traits of said character. A couple that come to mind:

Hulk 2: first Green Hulk! C'mon!

Tales of Suspense 40: Gold Armor

I've been preaching Hulk 2 to anyone who'll listen. Now that Hulk 1 has gotten out of he price range of a lot of collectors, the first appearance of the Green Hulk, on the cover no less, really looks like a bargain.

Just for the sake of discussion; The Hulk is green in one panel of his first issue. Coloring glitch.

Probably.

Yes, exactly. I guess the question is when does the something else become the huge gap between appearance 1 and 2, especially for established major characters whose first appearance is out of reach for many, become sufficient as the something else to drive certain second appearances higher?

Hulk 181 does okay.

True, second appearances do a lot better when the first appearance is nothing more than a panel or page that leads into the true introduction of the character in the following issue where they are actually relevant to the story.

Yes or no - did Wolverine appear, in full and named, and interact with the title character in IH #180?

I'll hang up now because I already know the answer.

:)

-slym

Nuff Said! :applause:

Hulk 181 does okay.

True, second appearances do a lot better when the first appearance is nothing more than a panel or page that leads into the true introduction of the character in the following issue where they are actually relevant to the story.

Yes or no - did Wolverine appear, in full and named, and interact with the title character in IH #180?

-slym

(shrug)

I never said Wolverine didn't appear in Incredible Hulk 180, but not all appearances (first or otherwise) are equal, or even close to being equal, which was my point.

I have been extremely disappointed after reading a comic that I tracked down with a (insert character that I like) appearance on more than one occasion. If I'm looking for a book with a specific character, I don't want a single page/panel that could be erased with no consequence to the story or a bunch of panels where the character could be replaced with a houseplant without affecting the story.

all 1st full means is second actual appearance.

I can't find the 'like' button, so +1 will have to do.

-slym

That's not even true. A few characters have multiple barely-there appearances before making their true, full introduction.

Hulk 181 does okay.

-slym

(shrug)

I never said Wolverine didn't appear in Incredible Hulk 180, but not all appearances (first or otherwise) are equal, or even close to being equal, which was my point.

I have been extremely disappointed after reading a comic that I tracked down with a (insert character that I like) appearance on more than one occasion. If I'm looking for a book with a specific character, I don't want a single page/panel that could be erased with no consequence to the story or a bunch of panels where the character could be replaced with a houseplant without affecting the story.

Kidding aside, that is probably the best articulation of why the collectible comic market as a whole has chosen 181 as the Wolverine key.

And it is not a market that ignores 180 either; even a copy today is $50-$60.

-slym

That's not even true. A few characters have multiple barely-there appearances before making their true, full introduction.

i don't disagree, I'm just saying the barely-there appearance is still being disregarded by collectors. It is still a first appearance even if it is only on one panel. Common examples would be ASM 299/300 or 360/361 or Avengers 195/196, or X-Factor 5/6.

-slym

i don't disagree, I'm just saying the barely-there appearance is still being disregarded by collectors. It is still a first appearance even if it is only on one panel. Common examples would be ASM 299/300 or 360/361 or Avengers 195/196, or X-Factor 5/6.

Here's a great one X-Men Annual 14 . Where Gambit is all over that book, 17 or so panels if I recall. Yet X- men 266 is the big book for that character. (shrug)

Jimmy Olsen 134 is considered to be Darkseids 1st app.,and he's only on a T.V. screen. No full body app. not even his name mentioned. (shrug)

It is a bit... out of the norm for comic collecting. But there are a couple of reasons...

JO 134 is a truly difficult book in high grade. Vastly fewer copies in 9.2 or better than Forever People 1 and New Gods 1. The CGC census shows....

The 9.2 to 9.8 CGC census for JO 134

48/48/16/6

Total graded 806

The 9.2 to 9.8 census for Forever People 1 from 9.2-9.8

88/111/83/25

Total graded 837

The 9.2 to 9.8 CGC census for New Gods 1

110/143/143/27

Total graded 882

Sometimes- when there is more than one cameo before a full appearance, you see that first cameo take on more importance. So in the case of Darkseid, you have two cameos before the full appearance.

Between JO being much rarer in high grade and having a couple of cameos before a full appearance, the market has given a higher value than one might expect value to JO 134.

Jimmy Olsen 134 is considered to be Darkseids 1st app.,and he's only on a T.V. screen. No full body app. not even his name mentioned. (shrug)

It is a bit... out of the norm for comic collecting. But there are a couple of reasons...

JO 134 is a truly difficult book in high grade. Vastly fewer copies in 9.2 or better than Forever People 1 and New Gods 1. The CGC census shows....

The 9.2 to 9.8 CGC census for JO 134

48/48/16/6

Total graded 806

The 9.2 to 9.8 census for Forever People 1 from 9.2-9.8

88/111/83/25

Total graded 837

The 9.2 to 9.8 CGC census for New Gods 1

110/143/143/27

Total graded 882

Sometimes- when there is more than one cameo before a full appearance, you see that first cameo take on more importance. So in the case of Darkseid, you have two cameos before the full appearance.

Between JO being much rarer in high grade and having a couple of cameos before a full appearance, the market has given a higher value than one might expect value to JO 134.

Should rarity of high grade copies discern the importance of the character? No. It either is ,or is not the 1st appearance.

Fixed. And Incredible Hulk 180 is Wolverine's first appearance. What's your point?

Fixed. And Incredible Hulk 180 is Wolverine's first appearance. What's your point?

Clarity. (shrug)