• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,646 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2022 at 2:27 AM, kelholt said:

I sold this exact book a couple years ago in order to fund the purchase of another book.  I really loved the cover composition (arrow in neck, etc) and coloring of the Lost Valley copy.  I missed owning it. I don't know about you, but I seem to miss quite a few that I have let go. I saw the Promise copy of Jungle 60 had similar coloring and went for it a few weeks ago in an HA auction.  I bid strong and still got left in the dust as the Promise copy in 9.4 went for $6,600.

As fate would have it, the Lost Valley popped up for sale and I am happy to say it is back with me........for now (:

1023748861_Jungle60.thumb.jpg.9d038b5f0313ddee795801178749d191.jpg

Similar thing happened to me with the Nic Cage copy of Planet #28. My first ever Heritage win but for some reason I decided to flip it. Regretted it of course -then it turned up in a C'link auction years later and it's been back with me ever since. Still on the lookout for other 'sellers remorse' books, but little or no hope of seeing them again.

On 2/16/2022 at 8:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Got a question for you hard core Friction House collectors. Who is this artist? I’ve been admiring his Greasemonkey Griffin stories in Wings for years.

Such great work and so distinctive. I don’t recall any discussion here about him. Such an underrated artist. 

https://www.comics.org/issue/2442/

I'm not familiar with him.

On 2/16/2022 at 7:45 PM, adamstrange said:

https://www.comics.org/issue/2442/

I'm not familiar with him.

Thanks Adam. Never thought to look there. I checked Overstreet but there was no mention of the strip or artist.

Al Walker. He had such a distinctive style. I have seen his Greasemonkey Griffin stories in Wings for years and admired them. Never noticed this feature probably because I didn’t have any of the single digit issues.

With all the talk about all the great FH artists. I’m very surprised no one has ever mentioned him. Not much on the web when I googled him. Have never noticed any other work except for this one. Take a look inside your Wings comics and check him out.

Next time I’m in the FH boxes, I will try to pull some more out. 

On 2/16/2022 at 7:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Got in this cool book from a great boardie the other day. He was even kind enough to give me a great deal on it. (worship)

Low grade but I love it. My first single digit Rangers. Man, these are tough. Buy them when you see them certainly applies here.

Got a question for you hard core Friction House collectors. Who is this artist? I’ve been admiring his Greasemonkey Griffin stories in Wings for years.

Such great work and so distinctive. I don’t recall any discussion here about him. Such an underrated artist. 

407CFD27-B0CF-4ED8-B3E8-B5C2BFAC39AA.jpeg

EB86C3DE-C3B0-421F-9AB3-F469187EAE4D.jpeg

B97D5703-F284-4109-8A49-70F1959CE25E.jpeg

Bob, there is an article about him in Alter-Ego #78

https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/alterego78preview/19

On 2/24/2022 at 12:08 PM, telerites said:

Bob, there is an article about him in Alter-Ego #78

https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/alterego78preview/19

His work was the main reason for buying issues of Wings so much detail :bigsmile:

On 2/24/2022 at 2:07 PM, szav said:

His interiors for wings are great too.  As much FH OA is out there, it’s always surprised me that I haven’t seen any Lubbers interiors from Wings.

Anyone know are they held in a black hole collection or are they thought to be non existent?

My thinking is they don't exist but i could be wrong (thumbsu

On 2/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, kelholt said:

Last week, I acquired a book off my sig line want list and this week I am the new owner of one of Edgar’s books. It’s been a good mail week 😊. This is my favorite cover from the Wings run with issue 88 being 1b. Love the colors, Lubbers did well on this one with details and composition.B152D23A-6393-46B6-94DB-B9E5159D8C10.thumb.jpeg.cb1c8230f637b9719b4cc04854f20710.jpeg

59619914-553D-470B-94EE-76F8C783F8DD.thumb.jpeg.da558fb93b3079e06fda3e8dfd38aa75.jpeg

Beautiful Kelly! By far the best colors I've seen on that one!