• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,640 posts in this topic

2844453464_2675932251_z.jpg

I like those Planet comics and the early Pulp as well. Planet V1#4

5368181807_c17416b803_z.jpg

This issue had a letter by Issac Asimov but they misspelled his name which he complained about in another letter which was published two issues latter.

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: For this post, I might ramble on about this book a bit, so for those who just want to see the book, please scroll down to the bottom for pictures and a small summary of my rambling.

I have been pursuing Planet Comics for several years now. When I first started collecting them, there were about 5 of the 73 issues that I put on my short list of "must haves". One was #13. There is something about the color scheme, a blue alien, the classic overall scene on the cover, well drawn by Zolnerowich , etc. that made it rise near the top of my Planet wantlist. I have only ever seen 1 other #13 for sale in any condition. It was a 5.0 raw that Billy P. purchased from Metro several years back. In my opinion, the hardest planets to find are 13, 14, 15, 17-20.

Most think that 15 is the most difficult of this group, but in my experience I have found 15 to be tough although I have seen 3 for sale (never owned by me, but that is another story on how I missed out on those) compared to only 1 # of issue 13. I looked for a 13 with every auction house, dealer, the boards, websites, etc. for years and years with not even a sniff of a 13. I would almost always ask a new dealer (etc.) if they had one.

I tell you all of this to tell my small story. A couple months back, I was talking to a person selling some books. I had made an offer on a couple and was getting ready to complete the sale on the phone. I asked if he had a couple key books that seemed to relate to the ones already being purchsed and he didn't have any additional books. Almost like a reflex, I made the statement that I had uttered for years to others, " You wouldn't happen to have a Planet 13 laying around would you?" I about fell over when he said, "Well, actually I do." It was a raw 8.5 with bright coloring. To speed up the story, I had a scan within minutes (looked like a 8.0- to me) and book was purchased and on its way to me before sundown.

Book was sent to Joeypost and then onto CGC. I received it in the mail today and I am so excited it caused me to stare it for long periods of time today, show my kids (they really liked it too) , tell my wife the whole story (she graciously listed well), and ramble on in paragraph form here in the boards. I am very excited about this find. It is the second highest graded only eclipsed by the Mile High copy which may never again see the light of day.

****SUMMARY for those who skipped my ramble:

1. I found and purchased a book I had been looking for for years and years.

2. It is in awesome condition. The cover colors are very strong and bright.

3. I am very excited about this book.

Here is the book........

04ab6eae.jpg

Here is the back, which is a really cool bonus.

5e5fc3f4.jpg