• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Bummer, sorry I mad you sad. This is the Robot Man copy and I'm stoked to have it!

no biggie; and it went to a pal/good home.

Edited by Straw-Man

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, Straw-Man said:

i'm after 1-10, and this leaves me short of just 2 & 10.

Metro has a couple 2s but 10 is a tough one, especially above 5.0 or so.

13 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I am glad these will be sharing a room :)

Page 6- Baker

IMG_4841.PNG.70a051d74cd4af05f7c0b867e57e205a.PNG

IMG_6307.PNG

Nice pickup.  I bid on it but wasn't entirely certain of the Baker attribution.  Vadeboncoeur says it's not Baker, but I think there's a lot of ambiguity about who did what with the Iger Shop work from this period. HA hedged their bets on attributions in the lot description.

Either way, though, it's a great piece of GA OA.

52 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice pickup.  I bid on it but wasn't entirely certain of the Baker attribution.  Vadeboncoeur says it's not Baker, but I think there's a lot of ambiguity about who did what with the Iger Shop work from this period. HA hedged their bets on attributions in the lot description.

Well, they specifically say "Matt Baker drawing and inking the women on this page". If that is not the case I have a problem with that. 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, they specifically say "Matt Baker drawing and inking the women on this page". If that is not the case I have a problem with that. 

I'm amazed they are able to pin-point the credit, even down to the inking. The rest of the page was inked by someone else?

I bid on this piece and it's value lay with how many women were present on the page. You got a nice looking page.

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

12 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I'm amazed they are able to pin-point the credit, even down to the inking. The rest of the page was inked by someone else?

I bid on this piece and it's value lay with how many women were present on the page. You got a nice looking page.

Hmm. Not sure anyone will ever be able to provide a definitive answer...

I'm guessing (totally guessing though educatedly totally guessing) that Baker was in the Iger shop in 1945, which would add plausibility anyhow that he drew and inked the chicks.

19 minutes ago, kat123 said:

Matt Baker first jobs over at Fiction House were late 1944.

earliest duties were to assist Alex Blum inking and drawing the ladies.

So Will, does that look like an Alex Blum page to you?

Correction, Ha. says it's Blum and the Iger Shop. Looks like it's Baker as well.

Edited by comicnoir
correction

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Good point.  I misinterpreted the sentence: "Hooks wraps up the case just in time to take a slap to the face from his girlfriend for being "entirely too interested in the women in this case. It's not necessary!" With Matt Baker drawing and inking the women on this page, we think it is!" to indicate that "we think it is Matt Baker" when HA is actually referring to the quote "It's not necessary!" from the page dialog. So, HA is clearly saying they believe Baker worked on the page.

Anyway, Vadeboncoeur in The Art of Glamour book only credits Baker with working on the Tiger Girl story in this issue.  He doesn't credit him with working on the Hooks Devlin story, which this page is from.

But that's just his opinion.  Like the rest of us, he's making inferences from looking at the art.  Apart from knowing that Baker was working for the Iger Shop during this period, Vadeboncoeur has no other info, so far as I know, to base an attribution on.

I don't think we'll ever know definitively unless FH or Iger Shop records unexpectedly turn up, which seems unlikely.

Bottom line is that it's a great page and I don't see how anyone can definitively rule out Baker's having a hand in it. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

What did Alex Blum's ladies look like when Blum was solo artist? That might at least help shed light on whether Blum might have drawn the ladies in the Hooks Devlin story (though not necessarily ruling out other Iger ghost artists).