• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,638 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

With the Church copy of this issue locked up in a boardie's collection, I'm happy to have the Larson (slight PLOD or not). :) 

Jungle15.png

These days Steve, it hardly makes a difference anymore. Let's be straight here, a tiny dot of glue shouldn't get your book pistol-whipped!!! Restoration has "mostly" gotten it's unfair stigma due to people not knowing the book they are buying has restoration at the time of purchase. They tend to find out later & feel ripped-off. I'd buy this Larson Jungle in as fast a time as I can log onto Paypal & send you payment if we agreed on a price (& if it was actually, you know, for SALE) ;) It's been said that ignorance is bliss ..... maybe ...... unless it damages a hobby that I love, then it's just uninformed individuals, poisoning something they can't either understand or appreciate. Sorry for the 2 cents brother, LOVE this book!!!

28 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

These days Steve, it hardly makes a difference anymore. Let's be straight here, a tiny dot of glue shouldn't get your book pistol-whipped!!! Restoration has "mostly" gotten it's unfair stigma due to people not knowing the book they are buying has restoration at the time of purchase. They tend to find out later & feel ripped-off. I'd buy this Larson Jungle in as fast a time as I can log onto Paypal & send you payment if we agreed on a price (& if it was actually, you know, for SALE) ;) It's been said that ignorance is bliss ..... maybe ...... unless it damages a hobby that I love, then it's just uninformed individuals, poisoning something they can't either understand or appreciate. Sorry for the 2 cents brother, LOVE this book!!!

Great post - and yes, it's a tiny dot of glue holding a bindery chip in place.

Unlikely that I'll ever be able to find a better appearing copy!

Great post - and yes, it's a tiny dot of glue holding a bindery chip in place.

Unlikely that I'll ever be able to find a better appearing copy!

Thanks Steve! Man with these Larson beauties that you're posting, I'm starting to think we might need to dig out & resurrect the Larson thread!!! In light of Jon's collection being auctioned, just THINK of all the books that might be posted!!! I'm not gonna lie about it, if I've had an awful day, looking thru a collected Larson comic thread could reverse just about ANY bad mood :) I give CGC the utmost credit in offering these boards to the collecting community!!! I go thru bouts of inactivity, but it's nice to know it's here when I need it :headbang:

28 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I agree. That's a wonderful copy I'd be proud to own! I've never cared for the purple label of death moniker. It paints with a broad brush implying that all restored books are the same, and bad for collectors.  I find just the opposite is true with me. Restored books offer a great deal of bang for the buck,particularly the slightly restored variety. As a collector first, investor a distant second, books like Steve's Larson here often offer the chance to own a stunning example at a fraction of the blue label price. Now obviously blue label books are the best investment if that's your game,but restored books are still highly collectible,and the stigma is fading.  Just check the Berk auction results if in doubt as to the value of purple these days...lol

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

Restoration has "mostly" gotten it's unfair stigma due to people not knowing the book they are buying has restoration at the time of purchase. They tend to find out later & feel ripped-off. 

Yup - sadly some of the Big Name greed merchants in the hobby are still plying their unethical trade, so I've found it preferable to never deal with them again under any circumstances.

There's still plenty of books to go around from trustworthy dealers and the private collectors' network. :) 

Yup - sadly some of the Big Name greed merchants in the hobby are still plying their unethical trade, so I've found it preferable to never deal with them again under any circumstances.

There's still plenty of books to go around from trustworthy dealers and the private collectors' network. :) 

Oh yeah, well that's still gonna happen .... BUT there are many things these days to level out that playing field, one of which is certification. I may not always agree with the grade of a certified book, but I seriously doubt that there's a better team of restoration detection eyeballs than that of Matt & Chris. There are dealers who I simply won't buy an undocumented raw book from thru the mail. Done. Been around the block too many times to "create" headaches for myself. I've been sent books missing centerfolds, missing other interior pages, had undisclosed restoration, wrong back covers .... the list goes on. I've done my best to point things out that a dealer may have missed .... like color touch on a book that I could see THRU THE MYLAR without even taking it out .... only to have it put under the table & still see it on their site .... nothing noted. The money is big in this hobby & some can't resist the lure of the "sinister buck" .... however, I have assembled quite a nice list of VERY reputable dealers from which to buy from. We may not always agree on price .... but they won't deliberately screw a collector over.

These boards themselves are quite an effective tool to keep people on the level. ALL of my board dealings have been top-notch, not a complaint in the bunch. Since everything HAS been just great for me on here, there's been no need to take a strong stance toward anyone, but if someone were to be an out-and-out CROOK to me, I wouldn't hesitate to light them up! I'd expect the same. No quarter. Be honest. Everyone makes mistakes ..... some make a good living making them. They have little to none of MY money in their pockets. Oh the stories we could share over a stack of funny books & a pizza Steve!!! Russ would wanna be a part of that too.

14 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Oh yeah, well that's still gonna happen .... BUT there are many things these days to level out that playing field, one of which is certification. I may not always agree with the grade of a certified book, but I seriously doubt that there's a better team of restoration detection eyeballs than that of Matt & Chris. There are dealers who I simply won't buy an undocumented raw book from thru the mail. Done. Been around the block too many times to "create" headaches for myself. I've been sent books missing centerfolds, missing other interior pages, had undisclosed restoration, wrong back covers .... the list goes on. I've done my best to point things out that a dealer may have missed .... like color touch on a book that I could see THRU THE MYLAR without even taking it out .... only to have it put under the table & still see it on their site .... nothing noted. The money is big in this hobby & some can't resist the lure of the "sinister buck" .... however, I have assembled quite a nice list of VERY reputable dealers from which to buy from. We may not always agree on price .... but they won't deliberately screw a collector over.

These boards themselves are quite an effective tool to keep people on the level. ALL of my board dealings have been top-notch, not a complaint in the bunch. Since everything HAS been just great for me on here, there's been no need to take a strong stance toward anyone, but if someone were to be an out-and-out CROOK to me, I wouldn't hesitate to light them up! I'd expect the same. No quarter. Be honest. Everyone makes mistakes ..... some make a good living making them. They have little to none of MY money in their pockets. Oh the stories we could share over a stack of funny books & a pizza Steve!!! Russ would wanna be a part of that too.

Dark dealings from the squadron sinister.

And it doesn't come any worse than a name like squadron sinister.

6 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Dark dealings from the squadron sinister.

And it doesn't come any worse than a name like squadron sinister.

Oh, what a sad day it was for the hobby when the Squadron Sinister merged with the Sneaky Color Touch Gang! :cry:

Just now, Flex Mentallo said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Oh, what a sad day it was for the hobby when the Squadron Sinister merged with the Sneaky Color Touch Gang! :cry:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

CGC deducts for odors. :baiting:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Jumbo Comics are so underrated. This is one I picked up not long ago- Jumbo 98- and it has some great stories. Great Matt Baker Skygirl and Robert Webb is just not discussed enough.

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

Agree!  Have been thinking of starting a  thread Jumbo vs. Jungle.  I find myself leaning Jumbo by like 7 to 1.

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Jumbo Comics are so underrated. This is one I picked up not long ago- Jumbo 98- and it has some great stories. Great Matt Baker Skygirl and Robert Webb is just not discussed enough.

I've never collected the later Fiction House books, but can certainly see the appeal (thanks for the interior shots).

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

Jumbos are great. Sky girl is always an entertaining read ??.

I'm contemplating slabbing this Larson, but it has some crudely torn apart siamese pages (with a few rips going into the borders of several panels).

Any experience out there on how CGC would handle this?

LarsonPL3.jpg

Edited by sacentaur

6 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I'm contemplating slabbing this Larson, but it has some crudely torn apart siamese pages (with a few rips going into the borders of several panels).

Any experience out there on how CGC would handle this?

LarsonPL3.jpg

I seem to recall seeing a graded book where the siamese pages were noted on the label, but I have no idea how or if it would affect the grade. I imagine it would since they've been torn, but that is an uninformed guess.