• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Good point.  I misinterpreted the sentence: "Hooks wraps up the case just in time to take a slap to the face from his girlfriend for being "entirely too interested in the women in this case. It's not necessary!" With Matt Baker drawing and inking the women on this page, we think it is!" to indicate that "we think it is Matt Baker" when HA is actually referring to the quote "It's not necessary!" from the page dialog. So, HA is clearly saying they believe Baker worked on the page.

Anyway, Vadeboncoeur in The Art of Glamour book only credits Baker with working on the Tiger Girl story in this issue.  He doesn't credit him with working on the Hooks Devlin story, which this page is from.

But that's just his opinion.  Like the rest of us, he's making inferences from looking at the art.  Apart from knowing that Baker was working for the Iger Shop during this period, Vadeboncoeur has no other info, so far as I know, to base an attribution on.

I don't think we'll ever know definitively unless FH or Iger Shop records unexpectedly turn up, which seems unlikely.

Bottom line is that it's a great page and I don't see how anyone can definitively rule out Baker's having a hand in it. 

in the early days of his career Baker was a assistant, but that did not last long. He was giving his own assignment quickly. Yes if you study his art and his style you can see his girls. Lets not forget not long ago many new Baker collectors did pay attention to Baker, times have change thanks to Alter Ego #47 and Art of Glamour. 

Also Many Iger Shop inkers/pencilers try to copy cat Baker style, but you can see were they fail, again you can look at different Baker art examples to see the difference.

Edited by kat123

19 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Jungle 11- so glad to have one now. Thanks to a great boardie. Not every book has to have a hot girl front and center for me to appreciate it. 

IMG_6378.JPG

No you seem to be happy with one off to the left along the spine...

27 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I needs the cheese

Just got another one of these again

IMG_6399.JPG

That is the best of the Wings cheese covers in my opinion.

I always liked that one.(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Jungle 11- so glad to have one now. Thanks to a great boardie. Not every book has to have a hot girl front and center for me to appreciate it. 

IMG_6378.JPG

That's a big one, Rick (my copy is currently at CGC :wishluck: ).

Just now, Flex Mentallo said:

Great copy. Very tough book!

It is, thanks Michael - I adjusted the contrast to adjust for the flash, and that staining on the left side showed up strong (barely visible on the book, itself).