• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Thanks for the writeup, Zolne!  Along those lines, moving off topic into the area Sharon mentions

It was Iger who paid off Eisner for his 50% - $20,000.  You know what that kind of money meant in those days.  Not bad for a kid who three years earlier, at the age of 19, pitched Iger on the idea of opening a studio.  Iger said ok  if Eisner would put up the money, and Eisner said sure.  He had $15 to his name, and his father was good for another $15.  That was enough to cover two months rent on a 10' X 10' room in a building at 43rd and Madison.  Eisner was never short of guts and vision.

In his deal with Busy Arnold, a barely 23 year old Eisner exhibited business acumen far beyond his age and insisted on the right to own his own creations should their agreement dissolve.  As compared to all the rest, who in a million years never even would have asked.  He was always moving ahead into uncharted territory, creatively and financially.  Into comics as a wage earner.  Moving up to business owner, supplying material.  Out of comics and into newspaper syndication.  Out of syndication into the Army, offering to supply small cartoons to a military base newspaper and then leveraging that years later into becoming a single source supplier for decades to the US military for training material, serving his country and making a good living at the same time, using his God given talent no longer for entertaining boys but for imparting information to adults in a powerful and meaningful way.

PS1a_zps45aa9feb.jpg

Thanks for those insights, Dr. Love! I think Murphy Anderson and Dan Zolnerowich also landed with P.S. Magazines or a related outfit producing similar material for the armed forces in the 50's.

Edited by Zolnerowich
typo

17 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I don't think that lion loves Sheena, but he's in the minority. (thumbsu

Any splash pages worth featuring here from your Cosmic Aeroplane?

You want me to work and post something  :D

Edited by comicjack

Thanks, Andy:) that's a neat book:) It also bumped the thread, I couldn't remember where I posted;) 

I did take scans of Eisner's article. I hope people can read it, I didn't want to bend the spine, so 2 pages are not flat.

eisner_0001.thumb.jpg.deeedabcb081ed8977f72e5361ae2262.jpg

eisner_0002.thumb.jpg.d652ac436d148f175305c2b690f0a772.jpg

eisner_0003.thumb.jpg.98f8f7e15e1db40c6ce37afa708324ac.jpg

eisner_0004.thumb.jpg.9109106888d44f0a45c2924fcb1847af.jpg

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The Wood "Spirit in Outer Space" issue...

10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

You are amazing, Richard:) 

I'm envious of Mr. B - hm I don't think I have ever had a woman say that to me.  And him making "Wood" post.  I guess they call him Mr. Long Pants for a reason :whistle:

Edited by telerites